Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Traction control question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 11:47 AM
flattire
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Traction control question

Ok so today I was in a completly empty parking lot , and i got going about 4 mph and started to turn and gunned it to get a fish tai/powerslide going, i startet to get lose. Foot to the floor and traction control off, my car starts to beep and cuts my throttle and my tires stop spinning. Why does it do this with traction contorl off? And how do i fix it?
Old 10-11-13, 12:15 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

What year is your car, how did you turn the traction control off, and how fast did the speedo say you were going when the TC kicked in?

If you turn off the TC by simply pushing the button on the dash the light in the cluster will come on amber, and TC will turn back on at speeds over 30mph. Maybe the indicated speed was over 30mph when your fun ended? If you don't want the TC to kick in at 30mph you have to hold down the button for ~5 seconds, and the dash light will turn red. At this point the TC is completly off and won't kick back in above 30mph. This applies to 2007+ models, the '06 modles have a different method for turning the TC off complely.
Old 10-11-13, 02:53 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to verify if holding the button for 5 seconds will infact turn off all the systems, or if its only turning off traction control.

I know the dance will do everything but I have never tested the other way.
Old 10-11-13, 03:30 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
What year is your car, how did you turn the traction control off, and how fast did the speedo say you were going when the TC kicked in?

If you turn off the TC by simply pushing the button on the dash the light in the cluster will come on amber, and TC will turn back on at speeds over 30mph. Maybe the indicated speed was over 30mph when your fun ended? If you don't want the TC to kick in at 30mph you have to hold down the button for ~5 seconds, and the dash light will turn red. At this point the TC is completly off and won't kick back in above 30mph. This applies to 2007+ models, the '06 modles have a different method for turning the TC off complely.
^Hey, the idiot that wrote this was doing it from memory and made a couple of mistakes.

Pushing the button on the dash turns the amber TC light on and disables the TC up until 30mph.
Holding the button down for 5 seconds turns the amber TC light on and also an amber VSC (Vehicle Sability Control) light, which will both stay disengaged at speeds over 30mph. I'm not sure how the entire system works but your hooliganism probably triggered the VSC, not the traction control. I never remember hearing the car beep at me by just engaging the traction control, but the VSC always makes the car beep at you.
Old 10-11-13, 06:18 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Whenever I get the VSC "beeping" my wife is like...see, the car is telling you you drive to fast! LOL!
Old 10-12-13, 04:49 PM
tigerbalm
Driver School Candidate

I read somewhere how to turn off the VSC and TCS on my 06. 1 engage ebrake before starting car. 2 start car. 3 depress brake pedal twice and hold it down on the second time. 4 while holding the brake release and press the e-brake twice while leaving engaged on the second time. 5 hit the brake pedal twice again. The traction control light should illuminate on the gauge cluster when completed. You have to turn the car off and on again to turn everything back on. Tried this on both my brother in laws car and mine and it works.
Old 10-12-13, 05:46 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerbalm
I read somewhere how to turn off the VSC and TCS on my 06. 1 engage ebrake before starting car. 2 start car. 3 depress brake pedal twice and hold it down on the second time. 4 while holding the brake release and press the e-brake twice while leaving engaged on the second time. 5 hit the brake pedal twice again. The traction control light should illuminate on the gauge cluster when completed. You have to turn the car off and on again to turn everything back on. Tried this on both my brother in laws car and mine and it works.
Are you sure these aren't the steps to the Macarena? Leave it to Lexus to keep the dummies from easily disabling the VSC and killing themselves lol.
Old 10-12-13, 10:39 PM
tigerbalm
Driver School Candidate

I did kinda feel like I was performing a happy dance in the car.
Old 10-13-13, 10:33 AM
Gville350

The thing with ALL 2IS models, even after the "pedal dance" or pressing/holding the T/C button for 5 seconds, there are STILL hidden Lexus safety features holding you back; but T/C is definitely turned off until the car is turned off.
Old 10-13-13, 11:26 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
The thing with ALL 2IS models, even after the "pedal dance" or pressing/holding the T/C button for 5 seconds, there are STILL hidden Lexus safety features holding you back; but T/C is definitely turned off until the car is turned off.
To my knowledge, once VSC is shut off via the 5 second press, you pretty much have only ABS that is active. All other nannies like fuel cutoff, VSC, TC, and EPS assist are deactivated. Unfortunately, a useful feature, the brake based eLSD, is also deactivated once VSC is off (except for the 08-09 IS-F)

Last edited by redspencer; 10-13-13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-15-13, 03:20 AM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

As an 06 is350 is that really how you disengage the TC? The damn happy dance......
Old 10-15-13, 01:05 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by PetesSweet
As an 06 is350 is that really how you disengage the TC? The damn happy dance......
Yes, and it's quite annoying. So I only really take the time to do it while at the drag strip.
Old 10-16-13, 10:16 AM
Skins21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Yes, and it's quite annoying. So I only really take the time to do it while at the drag strip.
On a related note- I have an 06 350 and sadly have not practiced the pedal dance I went to the drag strip a few weeks ago and only pressed the TC button which I know comes back on at 30mph.

My question is how much power might I have lost by the TC coming back on after 30mph? I went 13.46 @104.24 with a 2.01 60ft. Just curious if I would possibly see better numbers with TC completely off. (which I plan to do next trip!)
Old 10-16-13, 12:21 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Do you think the TC cut the power after 30mph? Did the car chirp third, Bro?

I doubt you lost much if any time due to the TC.
Old 10-16-13, 01:04 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by Skins21
My question is how much power might I have lost by the TC coming back on after 30mph?
On a couple of trips to the track I was lazy and didn't care about doing "the dance"; I launched as I normally do and still netted same time/speeds as when I removed T/C. When not doing a burnout with street tires, is removing T/C really necessary? With good tires and proper inflation, in my own study it did nothing.

Quick Reply: Traction control question