Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Vortech Supercharger v3 Sci for AWD IS250 08

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 05:39 PM
Kaze524
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Supercharger v3 Sci for AWD IS250 08

Hi everyone, i am new to the forum. I was looking at other post about superchargers and i come to the conclusion only vortech and rgm still make them. I saw two people with vortech v9 f-trim superchargers. I contacted vortech and they no longer produce them. They took me to look into the vortech x3 Sci. Do i have to custom any pipes or what not to make the supercharger work with the engine? I am new to the mod scene. Any tips to help with product and installation will be appreciated.
-Thanks.
Old 08-14-13, 06:49 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

As most will tell you, just upgrade to the 350, its the most cost effective HP you can get. Most setups for the IS are going to be at least 5k. And in quite a few cases that's more than the difference you would pay on a used 250 vs 350.
Old 08-14-13, 10:31 AM
Kaze524
Driver School Candidate

For me at the moment switching to a 350 is not a option. I would like to know if it is indeed possible to use a vortech v3 sci to S/C the is250 without having to create custom parts.
Old 08-14-13, 11:42 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

You'll at least need a custom made bracket to fit it to your engine and align the pulleys/belt.

Intercooler piping is pretty straight forward. Dont go over 7lbs of boost.

$5k is a fair estimate.

Lastly, know what youre getting yourself into before going down this road. You wont ever make crazy power, but you will be one of a VERY few breed and the car does become a lot more fun to drive. I believe I am one of two boosted is250 left on the forums (Pepos in Greece is boosted, then there was johnnyboy and an AWD is250 that was very shortly boosted have long been parted out). Going on 12-13,000 miles and it's been just as reliable as ever. Check my build thread with questions, it may be in there.
Old 08-17-13, 08:27 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jon Jon was also boosted and my buddy is currently installing his charger. I'll ask what he's using. Here is what JonJon had https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...vip-built.html

Last edited by Sffd103; 08-17-13 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-18-13, 03:04 PM
Kaze524
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the insite and information. I still plan on doing it just because it is rare and that I can do it.
Although I would need some help or tips on what I would need and what I need to built to fit the S/C. I am very new to the mod scene. I would like to at least get all the parts I need to do it first.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-10-13, 10:26 PM
blackgpgt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought jonnyboys old kit...The f-trim is still available if you look for one...very excited to get it on and running hopefully this weekend or next. Like others have mentioned you need a custom bracket made up, intercooler, piping for the intercooler, different sized pulleys, tensioner pulley and bracket, oil lines to and from sc, different fittings and hoses, clamps, blow off valve...prices add up quickly...seeing as youre right in new York itll be nice to see someone else with a front mount on a 250 lol..best of luck
Old 10-11-13, 05:10 AM
Kaze524
Driver School Candidate

Thats the thing, for one I do not know any places that would make these parts in NY. Most people who do this live in CA. I am just wondering if I can get everything but the actually S/C blower itself. A couple of guys told me there are shops in CA that had made them before. I would like to know if anyone can get me the information for them or can ship me the parts.
Old 10-11-13, 08:24 PM
WTBIS350
Driver School Candidate

What ever became of your search for an ARMA SC kit? piecing together your own kit isnt going to be easy, especially if you are a first time and have no support from local shops.
Old 10-16-13, 05:09 AM
Kaze524
Driver School Candidate

The cost of assembling it is a lot less then getting the brand with a brand on it.
Old 10-20-13, 08:07 AM
WTBIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kaze524
The cost of assembling it is a lot less then getting the brand with a brand on it.
Have you ever assembled a turbo or SC kit from scratch? You really dont want to just get a piece from brand X, a piece from brand Y and and another piece from fabricator Z. You want to try and get them all from the same place to lessen the chance of there being fitment issues. That's one of the reasons you try to get all your custom stuff from one fabricator. I've pieced together my own turbo kits and that's close to the same thing as a centrifugal supercharger such as the Vortech. Despite being turbo and SC they share the same issues with fitment between the throttle body and compressor outlet. The shared issues being piping from the compressor outlet to IC inlet, IC placement, IC outlet to throttle body. Then there is also preference...ARMA for example mounts the BOV/charge relief right on the intercooler. But if another fabricator found room somewhere on the upper piping they could put it somewhere else. There arent a lot of ways you can route the piping but if the orientation is off by just enough then you may not be able to get your hose clamps to mount up.

If you get the SC bracket and pulley kit from one place, the orientation of the piping from SC to IC has to match up. And the piping from IC to TB has to match up as well. Look at the ARMA kit again. The welds on the piping and the IC are all done by hand. The SC bracket and the pulley kit are machined or maybe stamped metal but the piping and IC are not. The piping is prefabricated straight pipes and bends cut to the right length and welded together. Usually the way the process works is that on the first kit they put together they make everything fit. They cut the piping and bends to the right length and weld it all together. On that first kit once they have all the piping where it is supposed to be they make a welding jig. The jig allows them to mass produce duplicates of that first kit without having to actually test fit it on the car. It's because of the welding and jig process that you get different fitments from different companies on the same things like intercooler piping.

Last edited by WTBIS350; 10-20-13 at 08:15 AM.