Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS400 ---> Aristo 2JZ.. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 01:12 PM
roppolo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS400 ---> Aristo 2JZ.. Worth it?

Been planning a 2JZ swap into a GS for quite some time. Getting really close to pulling the trigger and came across an exceptional deal on a GS400 while looking for a 300. I'm a dealer so deals really aren't that few and far between, but this car has a great history, great body and is really really cheap for the condition.

Anyway, I have everything planned out for a 300 swap, but, of course this car isn't a 300. I've done plenty of searching and found info scattered here and there so I thought i'd see if I could find anyone that has done this swap.

I'll be getting a complete JDM 2JZ swap with all wiring, ECU, mounts, engine/trans, driveshaft and all engine components.

Looking to see if its worth it to start with a GS4 and what else should I look forward to buying to make it happen.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-13, 01:34 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roppolo
Been planning a 2JZ swap into a GS for quite some time. Getting really close to pulling the trigger and came across an exceptional deal on a GS400 while looking for a 300. I'm a dealer so deals really aren't that few and far between, but this car has a great history, great body and is really really cheap for the condition.

Anyway, I have everything planned out for a 300 swap, but, of course this car isn't a 300. I've done plenty of searching and found info scattered here and there so I thought i'd see if I could find anyone that has done this swap.

I'll be getting a complete JDM 2JZ swap with all wiring, ECU, mounts, engine/trans, driveshaft and all engine components.

Looking to see if its worth it to start with a GS4 and what else should I look forward to buying to make it happen.

Thanks in advance
man if the v8 is good. beef up that trannys, get a supra LSD, and super charge that bish.... lol

all in all it really depends how much power you looking to put out. Because if you are looking to get around 400-500 you might as well just spend your money on the v8. the torque would be just rediculous!!
Old 08-09-13, 01:51 PM
roppolo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by handoverfi
man if the v8 is good. beef up that trannys, get a supra LSD, and super charge that bish.... lol

all in all it really depends how much power you looking to put out. Because if you are looking to get around 400-500 you might as well just spend your money on the v8. the torque would be just rediculous!!
Yeah i hear ya. Pretty good amount of miles and I don't like building N/A engines. I've had my heart set on a 2JZ for awhile. Just looking to see what other speed bumps I may come across by taking on this project
Old 08-09-13, 04:37 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

Since a you're a dealer get an e63? Lol
Old 08-09-13, 04:58 PM
roppolo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AVSRacing
Since a you're a dealer get an e63? Lol
I don't deal with cars of that caliber, but i've owned both an E and an S63. Loved them both.
Old 08-10-13, 04:12 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Handoverfi hit the nail on the head. Just for reference my car has about 280whp with bolt ons and an LSD and I took a ridiculously boosted SRT4 up to 80mph...then he blew by me; but keep in mind, I found out he about 450whp!

So think of it this way, if I was pushing an additional 100whp or so I would have prob had him to 100mph or so. If I was up against a 2jz GS with 400/450whp I would probably have him also to about 100/110mph. Why?

Because a properly setup SCd GS400 has crazy usable torque thats so much fun to drive and reallty, there's no reason to run anyone past 110mph. The 2jz is cool but imho a GS4 can be just as good. The potential of the 2jz is much greater but thats if you plan on dropping a lot of money to get passed the 450whp mark. I'd stay with the SCd GS4; it's also more exclusive. There are probably no more than 200 SCd GS4s in the nation, maybe even the world! s crazy usable
Old 08-10-13, 07:15 PM
roppolo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Handoverfi hit the nail on the head. Just for reference my car has about 280whp with bolt ons and an LSD and I took a ridiculously boosted SRT4 up to 80mph...then he blew by me; but keep in mind, I found out he about 450whp!

So think of it this way, if I was pushing an additional 100whp or so I would have prob had him to 100mph or so. If I was up against a 2jz GS with 400/450whp I would probably have him also to about 100/110mph. Why?

Because a properly setup SCd GS400 has crazy usable torque thats so much fun to drive and reallty, there's no reason to run anyone past 110mph. The 2jz is cool but imho a GS4 can be just as good. The potential of the 2jz is much greater but thats if you plan on dropping a lot of money to get passed the 450whp mark. I'd stay with the SCd GS4; it's also more exclusive. There are probably no more than 200 SCd GS4s in the nation, maybe even the world! s crazy usable
I feel ya and believe me, if this GS4 had less miles i'd be all for upgrading it. The problem is that it has alot of miles and I don't feel comfortable spending any money to upgrade a car with so many miles. I've been reading up on SDd GS4s and i'm pretty impressed. I prefer SC over Turbo when it comes to upgrades, but I have been planning this swap out for a year or so now. Thanks again!
Old 08-10-13, 07:19 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

follow your ideas lol... those of us with GS4's would love to have the V8 boosted..member japspec did the 2jz swap into his GS4.. i'm sure there are write ups about it.. it comes to budget and what you can afford..
Old 08-10-13, 07:20 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

I feel ya and believe me, if this GS4 had less miles i'd be all for upgrading it. The problem is that it has alot of miles and I don't feel comfortable spending any money to upgrade a car with so many miles. I've been reading up on SDd GS4s and i'm pretty impressed. I prefer SC over Turbo when it comes to upgrades, but I have been planning this swap out for a year or so now. Thanks again!
Get a 2jzgte vvti swap and call it a day i have a swapped gs400 but its on a single.
Old 08-10-13, 07:24 PM
roppolo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by japspec
Get a 2jzgte vvti swap and call it a day i have a swapped gs400 but its on a single.
Was sending you a PM while you typed this
Old 08-10-13, 07:34 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Was sending you a PM while you typed this
Check pm......
Old 09-06-13, 11:14 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

California = SMOG.

JDM swaps are difficult to get SMOG certified. By that, I mean impossible. Unless you "know a guy" who is willing to risk his career and freedom to pass your car.

2J with turbo - easy performance potential, but stock for stock I'd rather have the V8. With exhaust, the sound is intoxicating.
Old 09-11-13, 05:58 PM
durellusmc
Driver School Candidate

hahaha im in the same boat as you brother I live in japan and have an Aristo that I love to death. Came back to the states for a few months and picked up a GS430, and starting to fall in love with it as well, so now im torn between SCing the 430 or doing the swap, but the thing is I get to bring the 2jzgte and anything that makes it run back for free. ( I love TMO) lol
Old 09-11-13, 09:21 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by durellusmc
hahaha im in the same boat as you brother I live in japan and have an Aristo that I love to death. Came back to the states for a few months and picked up a GS430, and starting to fall in love with it as well, so now im torn between SCing the 430 or doing the swap, but the thing is I get to bring the 2jzgte and anything that makes it run back for free. ( I love TMO) lol
keep us posted on how u plan on SCing the 430

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 09-12-13, 12:38 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have both an SC300 on a single and a GS400 with all the usual NA mods (Supra LSD, Dragon t/c, full exhaust, SRT intake, etc, etc.)

Or course, the obligatory "it depends on what you want out of your car" applies here.

If you just want my simple opinion? (Keep in mind I don't know what you're trying to achieve)

The GS is a large body luxobarge and should be propelled by a worthy power plant with a minimum of 8 cylinders. Not just for power, but for refinement and ease of mobility (read: torque).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 2J, and the noise it makes tightens my pants everytime. But save that powerplant for a chassis more suited to high revving hooning. Like, SC or IS. My GS makes a sweet noise, too. The intake growl is a thing to behold on the 1UZ.

I love both my cars and I drive them very differently. The SC I drive like I'm in high school. The GS I drive like a professional businessman.

So it comes down to what do you want? A big lux cruiser that's fast, and high revving making a lot of noise? Then slap the 2JZ in it. Nothing wrong with that.

Now if you want a mild setup that sounds great, is decent on fuel, and headache free, GS V8. One hell of a car. Especially since the V8 in these types of chassis are disappearing. Enjoy while you can.

Quick Reply: GS400 ---> Aristo 2JZ.. Worth it?