Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

aristo swap high stall converter problem

Old 07-29-13, 08:36 AM
Meyagi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aristo swap high stall converter problem

i just put a precision 3200 stall converter in my car. everything works fine except the converter no longer locks up under cruise and light throttle conditions. i put the car on the lift running and in gear, and when i jump 12v to the TCC lockup pin the converter locks as it should.... a supra tuner i know said something about possibly having to repin something at the ecu but he couldnt remember. i dont see how it would make a difference swapping converters, unless now the jdm ecu is mad because the converter has alot more slip? i dunno... any ideas guys?
Old 07-30-13, 07:46 PM
Meyagi
Driver

no one has installed a converter and had this issue? cmon any insight would help here
Old 08-02-13, 02:02 PM
MotoEvo
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a lot of experience with auto transmissions, but my wife's GS has a built a/t with what I believe is a higher stall converter. Like yours, the converter does not lock up. I have not messed with the wiring yet to see if the converter does lock up with 12v power though. The transmission on the GS is a 4 speed Aristo transmission, not the OE 5 speed.

I did search around on a couple Supra sites and it seems some people make a manual switch for lock up. I might look into doing this for her car because currently it only gets about 20 mpg in mostly highway driving.

I did notice that when I switched her car to run in TTC vs the stock sequential setup, that the rpms were a bit lower on the highway due to the converter freewheeling a bit less. I have no idea why that is though, but my guess is due to the reduced torque since the #1 turbo isn't always primed. Mileage before going TTC was ~18 on the highway.

Here are a few threads I found so far which point to people making manual switches:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...-users-on-here

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ters-and-locks!

http://performanceforums.com/forums/...-67214038.html

Hope that helps you out some!
Old 08-02-13, 09:12 PM
Meyagi
Driver

thanks for the input, ive been searching and have come across those threads. my question is still WHY is it not locking up by itself? the car is meeting all the criteria to command TCC lock, but the ecu wont do it. i thought about a switch, but to me that is just a hack fix to something the car should do by itself. my car has a 66mm single turbo so the high stall made a huge difference in performance, but the crappy fuel economy and much higher trans temps even with a cooler make the cons outweigh the pros. i spoke with the transmission guy at boost logic today, and he couldnt come up with a solution as to why its not locking like it should, he confirmed that my 4spd aristo trans is the same one the TT supra uses, and all the converters he has tried have run just like stock as far as lockup goes. im going to look around for answers for a few more days and see if anything pops up, but driving my car as a daily sucks now and i hate it, unless im running it hard which isnt real often in comparison. ill be removing the PI converter next week as soon as i have some free time and going back to my stock converter until i can get one that will actually lock and function like it should.
thanks for the reply though, it seems not many people have actually used a high stall and want to talk about it.
Old 08-04-13, 04:40 PM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know this does not help your issue but thw only thing i can think of is the computer sees it taking longer to lock up so maybe it thinks there is a issue and does not want to lock it.. if that makes sense.. i plan on swaping a built trans from atf and a titan 3500 stall.. i have not herd issues with there converter.. i actually have a few questions for you if you dont mind about going single and your swap from moe
Old 08-13-13, 11:22 PM
Jonb42
Driver

I had the same issue with my pi converter. I sent it back and they replaced it. There is a lifetime warranty. FYI. But while I was waiting to get that converter back I had my stock one modified by IPT in Hawthorne nj. They upped the stall on it and although the car took longer to spool it was much better than the stock. It's also not very expensive to do and the turnaround is very quick. Good luck
Old 08-15-13, 06:58 PM
Meyagi
Driver

so it was a issue with the converter? i bought this one used and it worked fine other then not locking. i did some more testing, after a battery disconnect ecu reset it would lock once on the street and once it unlocked from slowing down or more throttle, it would not lock again till the ecu was reset again. on the lift though with the wheels off the ground, it locked and unlocked normally, no issues at all, just not while you were actually driving the car. stock converter is back in now (sucks) and the guy i bought the PI from is going to buy it back. im thinking about getting the FTI converter that titan sells, its supposed to be better and run tighter at low speeds then the PI... i hope so, cause its almost $1k..... thanks for the input jon! did you ever try the PI again after they fixed it?