Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine acceleration problem-- HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 04:09 PM
static88
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine acceleration problem-- HELP

Hey guys, its been a while since I've been on here. I have a new issue. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on how to fix it.

I have an '04 GS300 with a VVT-i swap. The car's acceleration feels forced. Its not throwing a code, and my CE light isn't coming on (its connected and actually works). RPM's wind up and the car moves, but it feels like its being pulled back while accelerating. 1st gear, almost 3000RPM, and my speedometer is at 20mph. Its never done that before. Idk if my tranny is slipping or what. I asked a friend who has the same swap, and he said he had a similar problem, and the issue ended up being his knock sensors, something with the way they were wired. I'm at a loss. I would at least like to have a general idea on what the problem is before I take it to my mechanic and my wallet gets raped. If someone could please share some wisdom on this issue, I would be very grateful.
Old 07-26-13, 09:32 AM
Cranix
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long has it been sense you cleaned the MAP sensor. I have a GS430 for a year it ran like crap.
long story short after I wasted 200$ on changing the RH cat. to no help I spent 8 bucks on a can of MAP cleaner
and my car went from no power and falling on its face when you pushed on the gas, back to being a rocket.
I thought It was my tranny too, like it was slipping. My engine would rev up but no power. MAP cleaner try
it if it doesn't work your out 8 bucks.
Old 07-26-13, 08:21 PM
static88
Rookie

I haven't had it cleaned since it was originally installed a little over a year ago. I'll definitely try that. thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-28-13, 08:53 AM
Cornman
Driver School Candidate

Default GS300 acceleration issue

Hey guys, Iam having the same issue with my 2002 GS300. What does MAP stand for? Does any auto parts house have this product? How do you perform this procedure?
Thanks
Old 08-14-13, 07:39 PM
Cornman
Driver School Candidate

Hey folks..my issue was a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor. Went to Auto Zone got some CRC Mass Air Flow cleaner and 45 min later my problem was solved. The car is running awesome...great pick up and passing gear in high speed kicks in really nice. It was not doing this before the cleaning. By the way I had already checked the MAF sensor and it checked out ok, but I decided to go ahead and clean it, as it was a very cheap and easy procedure.
I would not have been able to solve it, without reading all these awesome posts...they were all very helpful.
Thanks to all.
Old 09-05-13, 11:44 AM
BRAD123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having the same issue...swapped the MAF sensor and it runs like a champ again.
Old 09-06-13, 10:42 PM
ZANDER01
Driver School Candidate

Question Hey Guys, where is the MAF Sensor and How do you clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor?

Originally Posted by Cornman
Hey folks..my issue was a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor. Went to Auto Zone got some CRC Mass Air Flow cleaner and 45 min later my problem was solved. The car is running awesome...great pick up and passing gear in high speed kicks in really nice. It was not doing this before the cleaning. By the way I had already checked the MAF sensor and it checked out ok, but I decided to go ahead and clean it, as it was a very cheap and easy procedure.
I would not have been able to solve it, without reading all these awesome posts...they were all very helpful.
Thanks to all.
Where is the MAF sensor and how do I clean the MAF sensor?
Old 09-07-13, 08:09 PM
Cornman
Driver School Candidate

Default Mass Air Flow sensor

On my 2002 GS300 it is right past the Air Filter...You will see the electrical connector and the actual Air Flow Sensor only has 2 screws that sits on top..very easy to see ...remove screws and the sensor just pulls out. Then get a can of Mass Air Flow cleaner at Autozone...costs $8....spray the sensor, let dry for 30 minutes and reinstall. That is all. Good luck.
Old 09-20-13, 12:25 PM
Nycgs300
Banned Scammer Created Multiple Accounts

Great info...
Old 09-29-13, 06:40 AM
ZANDER01
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Cleaning maf sensor

Originally Posted by Nycgs300
Great info...
Hey guys, I went to AutoZone, got the CRC cleaner, clean the MAF sensor and my check light comes on. The check light reads bad MAF sensor. Order a MAF sensor online, install it, drive the car, the car re-diagnose itself and clean the check light. However, the car still runs like crap. I took the car to a mechanic friend and he stated that I should get the dealer MAF sensor instead($229.00). I don't think the problem it the MAF, the check light would not have cleared. Someone told me it might be a blocked CAT or fuel filter/pump. Any advice would help before taking it to the STEALERSHIP for a diagnostic.

Someone told me also to check the compression at each spark plug port.