Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Advice on intake and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 10:33 AM
Is250orFJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on intake and exhaust

I'm new to the forum and new to the Lexus as well, I'm looking for and exhaust that isn't too loud and a nice intake. I've recently purchased an 07 silver is250 and I'm absolutely in love with it. It'll will be lowered on a prokit soon and then wheels!!
Old 04-07-13, 12:15 PM
alee350
Pole Position

welcome! it really depends on what you want for the intake if you want power the f sport or joe z intake will give you that if you want sound then i recommend the injen or takeda. Exhaust i have the hks and it is quite loud but the greddy is more subtle. Hope this helped!
Old 04-07-13, 02:04 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most give you minimal HP gains. F Sport is the most expensive. You can look into a Tanabe exhaust. Most are axle back except the Joe Z exhaust.
Old 04-17-13, 10:39 AM
Is250orFJ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys.... I'm not too worried about overall ponies right now... The turbo in the future should take care of that ... For now I just want something relatively inexpensive but with a good sound, ill probably build my own intake as I have acces to a tubing bender but exhaust I'd like to do a cat or axle back but don't want anything that sounds like a Honda civic with an apc fart can on it... Just want a nice deep tone and not too loud in the car
Old 04-17-13, 11:08 AM
hamchoi2
Driver School Candidate

Tanabes are great if you're looking for a sound similar to how infinities sound, my homeboys have an is250 and 350 and they both have tanabes, i love how it sounds I'm about to add tanabes to my is300 as well.
Old 04-17-13, 11:16 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As sffd103 said, you are buying these mainly for cosmetic (exhaust) and sound.

In terms of noise level, F-Sport exhaust is typically louder than Tanabe. F-sport exhaust costs almost twice as much as Tanabe.

I have Tanabe because I don't like it too loud. It has a nice deep tone and sound picks up after 4K RPM.

Intake, I have F-Sport... but there are cheaper alternatives like Joe-Z. Or you can check out the classified section for pre-owned.

HP wise, best bang for the buck would be intake which nets you about 10 - 20 HP depending on condition. Exhaust only gives about 2 - 5 HP gain but cost over 3x the intake price. None of them will give you the boost and feel of performance.
The following users liked this post:
rehall7 (03-25-20)
Old 04-17-13, 11:37 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Is250orFJ
Thanks guys.... I'm not too worried about overall ponies right now... The turbo in the future should take care of that ... For now I just want something relatively inexpensive but with a good sound, ill probably build my own intake as I have acces to a tubing bender but exhaust I'd like to do a cat or axle back but don't want anything that sounds like a Honda civic with an apc fart can on it... Just want a nice deep tone and not too loud in the car
Nobody makes a turbo for the 2IS, its very limited in terms of aftermarket performance.

Since you dont want too loud, look into the Greddy SP2/SE (one is discontinued, cant remember which) or the Tanabe/M2
Old 04-17-13, 11:38 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shadowman

In terms of noise level, F-Sport exhaust is typically louder than Tanabe. F-sport exhaust costs almost twice as much as Tanabe.

I have Tanabe because I don't like it too loud. It has a nice deep tone and sound picks up after 4K RPM.

Intake, I have F-Sport... but there are cheaper alternatives like Joe-Z. Or you can check out the classified section for pre-owned.

HP wise, best bang for the buck would be intake which nets you about 10 - 20 HP depending on condition. Exhaust only gives about 2 - 5 HP gain but cost over 3x the intake price. None of them will give you the boost and feel of performance.
Since when do intakes for our cars net 10-20 hp?
The following users liked this post:
rehall7 (03-25-20)
Old 04-17-13, 04:24 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Is250orFJ
Thanks guys.... I'm not too worried about overall ponies right now... The turbo in the future should take care of that :)... For now I just want something relatively inexpensive but with a good sound, ill probably build my own intake as I have acces to a tubing bender but exhaust I'd like to do a cat or axle back but don't want anything that sounds like a Honda civic with an apc fart can on it... Just want a nice deep tone and not too loud in the car
what turbo...??

Originally Posted by shadowman

exhaust is mainly sound, cosmetics is kit, wheels, grille, etc.
fsport is much louder than tanabe
axleback runs about 7whp gain, and intake about 5 depending on sri or stock box

to OP: i think fsport would be good choice for you, it doesn't drone and is decently loud. however even the loudest exhaust (ab or cb) is still not very loud (hks hipower) so even if you buy the hks it won't be very loud unless you add a mp

i wouldn't consider tanabe......the exhaust tone is barely existent
Old 04-22-13, 06:22 PM
efusselman
Driver School Candidate

We installed a greddy exhaust on a buddy of mine's is250. sounded pretty good. not to loud, or "ricey", but clean deep tones. We were going to put an afe intake on, but then he up and traded it in for a GTR. I still got the afe, new in box if anyones interested lol. What are everyones opinions on the afe intake?

Last edited by efusselman; 04-22-13 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-23-13, 04:55 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by efusselman
We installed a greddy exhaust on a buddy of mine's is250. sounded pretty good. not to loud, or "ricey", but clean deep tones. We were going to put an afe intake on, but then he up and traded it in for a GTR. I still got the afe, new in box if anyones interested lol. What are everyones opinions on the afe intake?
Pretty sure afe and Takeda are the same or similar company so the intakes should be the same. Its louder than other intakes and the Takeda comes with a heat shield (not sure about the afe). Thats about it.
Old 04-23-13, 06:40 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

I think you should look into the Joe Z Exaust System. Dynos show great gains and overall the system sounds amazing IMO. If Rasta sees post he could vouch for the deepness of the system as he heard mine first hand.
Old 04-23-13, 10:38 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Intake wise....the GreddyTakeda all day long...they are the same intake system and Match it up with the Greddy Spectrum exhaust whether elite or regular....both will give the car the perfect sound if ur not looking to wake the neighbors but still have the fool beside you hear you take off.... and both setup I can tell you off hand give maybe a total of +7-+9 hp and +12 ft lb torque....

Question isn't Joe-Z just the tube switching from the OEM plastic to Metal but still bolt to OEM box?
Old 04-23-13, 11:03 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iRyan
Intake wise....the GreddyTakeda all day long...they are the same intake system and Match it up with the Greddy Spectrum exhaust whether elite or regular....both will give the car the perfect sound if ur not looking to wake the neighbors but still have the fool beside you hear you take off.... and both setup I can tell you off hand give maybe a total of +7-+9 hp and +12 ft lb torque....

Question isn't Joe-Z just the tube switching from the OEM plastic to Metal but still bolt to OEM box?
Yup, thats correct
Old 04-23-13, 12:15 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

dude 10-20 NET HORSEPOWER FOR AN INTAKE!!! WHAT! Which one are you running.

Quick Reply: Advice on intake and exhaust