Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Something Quieter than Greddy Evo 3 (interior drone)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 07:56 AM
LeXUsFeEVa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Something Quieter than Greddy Evo 3 (interior drone)

So I currently have the Greddy Evo 3 axle back installed on my wife's car which sounds awesome outside but the interior drone is way too LOUD! I'm trying to sell or trade the exhaust for something with less interior drone. (PM me if interested. brand new not even a 100 miles on it)

I'm leaning towards the Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust or the Invidia Q300 but am open to suggestions.

I understand the interior drone is relative but at the end of the day all I really want is a more aggressive look (I really don't care about the sound)

Please help, any input is greatly appreciated. Seems like we can't even have a normal conversation in the interior cabin. The Greddy Evo 3 is driving us crazy/is awesome if it wasn't my wife's car. haha

cypress, CA

Last edited by LeXUsFeEVa; 04-01-13 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 04-01-13, 08:08 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Wrong section this need to be in the classified not performance section.
Old 04-01-13, 08:35 AM
LeXUsFeEVa
Rookie

sorry about that. changed my title.....just looking to get some info on different exhaust. I have read the other threads and heard many clips. Video's don't seem to capture interior drone so just looking to CL members for input.
Old 04-01-13, 01:44 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Tanabe. You will have very little drone and your wife won't be annoyed by it
Old 04-01-13, 02:36 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the greddy spectrum is quiet..i have it now...and its too quiet
Old 04-01-13, 04:07 PM
LeXUsFeEVa
Rookie

Originally Posted by iRyan
the greddy spectrum is quiet..i have it now...and its too quiet
I knew I should of got the spectrum. I just like the look of the Evo 3. Didn't really think it was going to be as loud as a catback being it's only an axle back exhaust.
Old 04-01-13, 04:34 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust on my IS 250 AWD and it's easy to keep a conversation at any speed/RPM with my girlfriend (she likes hearing the note, the volume of the exhaust, and the fact that it doesn't drone or little if any).

For the audiophile in me, I can listen to 320kbps MP3 CD's at 10-12 in the city and 15-20 on the highway (depending on how soft a certain song can be) and about the same (if not a little less on the highway side) when I use the bluetooth streaming device on the AUX jack.

When I decided on an exhaust, I made sure that the level of drone was acceptable by searching the forums. I think the F-Sport would of drove me nuts if I got that (I didn't know it droned) and would of hunted for the HKS Lexus exhaust instead. However, I'm very happy with my Tanabe and have no regrets.
Old 04-01-13, 05:21 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

double post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...oud-drone.html
Old 04-01-13, 05:23 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by knguyenk
I have the Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust on my IS 250 AWD and it's easy to keep a conversation at any speed/RPM with my girlfriend (she likes hearing the note, the volume of the exhaust, and the fact that it doesn't drone or little if any).

For the audiophile in me, I can listen to 320kbps MP3 CD's at 10-12 in the city and 15-20 on the highway (depending on how soft a certain song can be) and about the same (if not a little less on the highway side) when I use the bluetooth streaming device on the AUX jack.

When I decided on an exhaust, I made sure that the level of drone was acceptable by searching the forums. I think the F-Sport would of drove me nuts if I got that (I didn't know it droned) and would of hunted for the HKS Lexus exhaust instead. However, I'm very happy with my Tanabe and have no regrets.
lol the fsport and lexus hks doesn't drone, it's more of mid-high rpm
even with a megan midpipe the interior drone is quieter than my evo3 alone, however loud as f*** from outside
the hks hipower and greddy evo3 are like low-rpm, and deep deep rumble sound that's why it drone

@op: any canister muffler exhaust will be loud
you've got basically 4 options if you want a quiet exhaust
1. tanabe mt (had it, it does drone after driving for a while and engine warms up, but from outside barely hear anything so not very balanced)
2. greddy se/sp (never had it but heard it in person and similar to tanabe)
3. fujitsubo (no experience)
4. lexus hks (never had it but heard it in person and i like it the most out of this list, but good luck finding used)

or if you're baller, go for a wald quad-tip...actually very quiet considering it's a quad tip exhaust, doesn't sound as aggressive as it looks

Last edited by reyoasian; 04-01-13 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-08-13, 10:32 AM
LeXUsFeEVa
Rookie

Default Greddy SP vs Tanabe Medallion

Originally Posted by reyoasian
lol the fsport and lexus hks doesn't drone, it's more of mid-high rpm
even with a megan midpipe the interior drone is quieter than my evo3 alone, however loud as f*** from outside
the hks hipower and greddy evo3 are like low-rpm, and deep deep rumble sound that's why it drone

@op: any canister muffler exhaust will be loud
you've got basically 4 options if you want a quiet exhaust
1. tanabe mt (had it, it does drone after driving for a while and engine warms up, but from outside barely hear anything so not very balanced)
2. greddy se/sp (never had it but heard it in person and similar to tanabe)
3. fujitsubo (no experience)
4. lexus hks (never had it but heard it in person and i like it the most out of this list, but good luck finding used)

or if you're baller, go for a wald quad-tip...actually very quiet considering it's a quad tip exhaust, doesn't sound as aggressive as it looks
thanks for the input! Okay making another purchase tomorrow. Debating between:
1. Greddy SP Elite
2. Tanabe Medallion

any input especially if you're currently rocking it is greatly appreciated. This is for my wife so interior drone is our biggest concern. Tips look similar from pictures but I've always been a fan of greddy.
Old 04-25-13, 11:57 AM
LeXUsFeEVa
Rookie

what up CL...so I finally installed my new Gredyy SP Elite. It's like night and day compared to the Evo 3.

I definitely miss the rumble and sound of the Evo 3 but couldn't bare the interior drone. I'm debating about getting the invidia mid-pipe. I also have the Joe z intake installed.

Anyone know if the Invidia mid pipe would match up with the Greddy SP elite? also will I have a drone issue again? I'm looking for a better sound with no drone!

any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-28-13, 07:04 AM
misterlv
Driver School Candidate

that sounds nice. i was reading on the invidia and its piping is 2.75 inches and our stock piping is 2.25 for the axle back how does that even work? why would they make something that will leak and not link up?