Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Twin Turbo's 1/4 mi. perform. #'s - "Smokin!"

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-02, 01:15 AM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Twin Turbo's 1/4 mi. perform. #'s - "Smokin!"

Hi everyone,

Just got back from the track, and my 1/4 mi. #'s improved from last time with cooler weather (62 deg.)!!

I knew I needed a bigger intercooler - this just proves it!!

#'s as follows: E.T. & Speed -- 13.28 @ 108.8 mph
60' time -- 2.3 (not good!)
1/4 tank of gas
Weight - 4325 lbs.(HEAVY!)

Note: I spun just a little out of the gate, but as the turbos spooled up in 1st, the tires were wanting to break loose (hence the slow 60' time). A good 1-2 shift, a slight hit of the rev limiter in 2nd, but a good 2-3 shift, and the boost was steady hovering between 8.5 & 9 lbs. I have to say the car pulled STRONGER THAN EVER BEFORE! and had it not been for the slight wheelspin as the turbos spooled along w/the hitting of the rev limiter once, I think I could of gotten my 13.0 @ 110. Oh well next time!! It only has me juiced more now to get that larger intercooler and I still have to get rid of the single exhaust and go true dual.
As a note the Blitz controller logged 454 HP on this particular run, and the 14 degree drop(ambient temp) from my last run netted me almost 20 RWHP. Spearco tells me the intercooler I'm looking at will drop the "charge" temp. approx. 50 degrees! Hold on boys - Horseman #2 is picking up steam!!

Lee(Horseman#1) - Hows the ride? Any more kills?
Mariusz - Hows your TT progressing? Hint: the TQ is GREAT!!

Last edited by kensttgs400; 12-21-02 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-21-02, 04:20 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Congrats. You're improving every time! Glad to see you are enjoying the setup. Drop your 60" time to 2.1's and I see high 12's in your very near future. When you say the turbos spooled while you hit the rev limiter, I am assuming you had it in E-mode correct? You should try leaving it in auto to see what you do (just a suggestion), but I guess you would know best you you already have your car and I don't. Called Mo today and he told me he is waiting on a "one way clutch." I should have the car within end of the year. I definitely want to see 500RWHP dyno sheet more than my TQ #. No 500rwhp means no $ for Mo. :eek:

PS. Check out your ride @ http://www.lexushp.com Be sure to give me some more specs, time slips, and vids (if you have any) and I will update your info. I wonder when is Lee going to post his dyno video.....?
Old 12-21-02, 10:19 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats the way to do it ken. glad to see that you are getting familiar with your set-up and having fun doing it. one question though, what do you mean that you have a single exhaust and are waiting to go true dual. i thought 4's came with dual exhaust the enthusiasm that you have for your car is contagious, man. looks like you are going from "kenneth the gray" to kenneth the white" wizard

Doc
Old 12-21-02, 11:18 AM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Hey DrRick,
The exhaust system "stock" has 2 cats that goes down to a single exhaust and single muffler in the middle portion of the car. To boot, on top of that, the single exhaust is "mashed" 1/2 flat to tuck underneath a support bracket. Talk about backpressure!!

After the exhaust goes thru the muffler and past the support it "y's" back to 2 pipes into 2 resonators and later to 2 mufflers in the back of the car. Roenick (CL member) gained 30 RWHP on his set-up (175 shot NOS) when he went true Dual exhaust. I hope to gain at least .2-.3 in the qtr. mi. as well as 2-3 MPH trap speed.

Mariusz,
Letting the tranny shift on it's own is a crapshoot! I've learned to do a slight "footlift" in the 1-2 shift. The 1-2 shift is actually a bigger challenge in not hitting the rev. limiter. My hitting the rev limiter in 2nd. on the 13.28 pass was just holding the e-shift too long. (My Bad,I always try to shift right at 6300 RPM) The e-shift mode in a 1/4 mi. run, shifting myself, has become the operation of choice.

The turbos "spooling" up only caused the tires to break loose a little coming out of the hole.

It was a solid pass for me though. I know what I have to do to lower my E.T.'s
Old 12-21-02, 02:27 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Letting the tranny shift on it's own is a crapshoot!
Tell me about it. Our tranny must be the slowest shifting one out there. Did you talk to Mo about the tranny ECU? I thought he was supposed to fix that with some type of a computer upgrade. Definitely would be a good thing now that the TT setups are out. Once again. Good job. What you should have done in your post is mentioned the weight of your car. It will only make that 1/4 mile run even more impressive....

Last edited by Mariusz; 12-21-02 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-21-02, 10:43 PM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Mariusz,

Thanks for the 'heads-up" on the weight being posted. I went back to the original thread and posted it. As far as the tranny ECU, I talked to Mo a few weeks ago & he told me it was in "final" BETA testing. I hope to speak with him soon to investigate upgrading my car w/it.
As slow as the tranny shifts, it would not surprise me at all to gain .3 -.5 tenths in the 1/4 mi. That aint "pie in the sky" either. To go thru the gears as fast as the turbos are accelerating the car, then to have the tranny do the famous "Slide and Glide" shift into the next gear! I could only imagine how much better the
1/4 e.t.'s will be to have each gear hit firm & quick!

? for you. What will the final boost be on your car (after break-in period) and what are your hopes for final RWHP & TQ?
Do you have any ideas on what you want the car to do in the 1/4 mi.?

I went back to your Web-site today. It looks great! You have my car listed as black on the wording/text, as well as 20" wheels listed.(Sorry, they are only 18's) but you did grab a good picture of the car. Thanks for the advertising!!!

Last edited by kensttgs400; 12-21-02 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-22-02, 12:58 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by kensttgs400
Mariusz,
? for you. What will the final boost be on your car (after break-in period) and what are your hopes for final RWHP & TQ?
I am expecting the boost to be close to 14lbs although 14.7 (1bar) should still be a safe territory for me. My goal was to make 500RWHP/500RWTQ on pump gas before 1bar RELIABLY. I think that with HP this high, the TQ will be close to 550+, but that is still to be seen.

Do you have any ideas on what you want the car to do in the 1/4 mi.?
I think I can do high 11's. Mo, with his SC easily was doing flat 12's. The high end for the turbos should give me a higher MPH and improve the 1/4 mile time over the SC. Guess we will have to see...

I went back to your Web-site today. It looks great! You have my car listed as black on the wording/text, as well as 20" wheels listed.(Sorry, they are only 18's) but you did grab a good picture of the car. Thanks for the advertising!!!
NP.

Last edited by Mariusz; 12-22-02 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-22-02, 04:53 AM
AZGS400
Driver School Candidate

Default with one bar , close to 600rwhp

I have built 300Z TT. at 1.1 bar I did 516rwhp . That is with 3.1 liter V6. The greater discplacement on the GS4 should put it close to 600rwhp at 1 bar.
Old 12-22-02, 10:34 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Default Re: with one bar , close to 600rwhp

Originally posted by AZGS400
I have built 300Z TT. at 1.1 bar I did 516rwhp . That is with 3.1 liter V6. The greater discplacement on the GS4 should put it close to 600rwhp at 1 bar.
You know what the funny thing is.....I was actually thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say anything. I guess I was a confused by Lee's dyno, but afterall......he did say he didn't have an exhaust system or a fuel pressure regulator and he only ran 11.5 psi I believe.

Quick Q. Assuming I dyno at 500RWHP on the stock exhaust system. Will getting a high flow exhaust system with high flow cats increse my boost while giving me the extra HP or will it just add HP without alternating the boost?
Old 12-23-02, 01:50 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

kensttgs400 - Congrats! Keep it Sleeper!

Mariusz - I need to get with Heth, and get you that video. Your web site is looking GOOD!

When I dynoed my car it was without the fuel regulator, and the SRT ECU was handling as much as it could with the F/A ratio. Remember this dyno was done on 93 octane gas, and we didn't use race gas to boost the HP. Which could have given me an additional 20-30 rwhp with increased boost. What's keeping my setup from running at the optimal setting is my exhaust system, and not installing my fuel regulator. My exhaust is still too restrictive, so I will definitely have to get another exhaust system. I figure I am losing a substantial amount of rwhp, based on the fact that I am at almost 440 rwhp at only 11 lbs of boost.
Once I put in another less restrictive exhaust system, install my fuel regulator, add race gas, and test/tune/dyno; I will definitely gain 50-60 rwhp, at least.

My take on your question: If you dyno at 500 rwhp stock, and then change your exhaust system. You could realistically get another 10% out of your setup, at least, without increasing the boost much.

Last edited by LexCiting; 12-23-02 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-23-02, 08:15 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexCiting
kensttgs400 - Congrats! Keep it Sleeper!

Mariusz - I need to get with Heth, and get you that video. Your web site is looking GOOD!

When I dynoed my car it was without the fuel regulator, and the SRT ECU was handling as much as it could with the F/A ratio. Remember this dyno was done on 93 octane gas, and we didn't use race gas to boost the HP. Which could have given me an additional 20-30 rwhp with increased boost. What's keeping my setup from running at the optimal setting is my exhaust system, and not installing my fuel regulator. My exhaust is still too restrictive, so I will definitely have to get another exhaust system. I figure I am losing a substantial amount of rwhp, based on the fact that I am at almost 440 rwhp at only 11 lbs of boost.
Once I put in another less restrictive exhaust system, install my fuel regulator, add race gas, and test/tune/dyno; I will definitely gain 50-60 rwhp, at least.

My take on your question: If you dyno at 500 rwhp stock, and then change your exhaust system. You could realistically get another 10% out of your setup, at least, without increasing the boost much.

Thanks Lee. I am in the process of scanning in the second Hyper Rev Volume 43 (ALTEZZA). These things take so long since each is like 230pages. Definitely send me the video as it will make me work on the video section. The website is only 20% complete. To be honest, my agreement with Mo was 500RWHP and that has to be satisfied. I will not be happy if I get ANY reason why we can't make that on 93. Please understand that for me, it is little harder to make frequent trips down to MD, so there is not that many chances to get it right. Not to mention and agreement is an agreement and I know he would not just throw claims out in the open which he can't accomplish.

Last edited by Mariusz; 12-23-02 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-24-02, 01:32 AM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Mariusz,

Tell me about it!! Not being close to Mo's shop was a real burden for me!! If I lived closed to SRT, Mo would probably see me on a weekly basis. His abilities w/Lexus engines is down-right scary!! As far as the end result on your car making 500 RWHP per agreement, Don't "sweat" it. Some things I have learned since I picked my car up:

Make sure you use a BIG, efficient intercooler!! (I told Mo not to modify my front bumper-MY MISTAKE-and I forced him to use a smaller intercooler. Guess what, I'm going to a larger one!!)

Let the engine "BREATH"- I see you're investigating Exhaust systems - Good Deal!! - You're car, you need it!! Make sure it's a true Dual Exhaust.

You'll need Mo's best fuel system Management. - Rising rate Fuel pressure regulator. In the end, If Mo tells you he'll make 500 RWHP, be assured - He'll get it for you!!
Old 12-24-02, 01:45 AM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Mariusz, As far as the Exhaust giving you more boost??

My .02 education on exhaust system upgrades. Your boost should hold pretty steady even with a new free flowing exhaust. It should "spool" up a little quicker and will essentially "shift" the HP Dyno curve to the left.
ie. Same HP, many RPM's sooner - and hence - Your Hp figure will climb even higher by the time you hit 6350 redline. With the HP #'s that you are looking for, I would suspect you'll easily see 40 -50 RWHP by going f/stock exhaust to True Dual's

I'm not the exhaust guru!! Just my .02 - Anybody out there who can confirm this??
Old 12-24-02, 09:17 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by kensttgs400
Mariusz, As far as the Exhaust giving you more boost??

My .02 education on exhaust system upgrades. Your boost should hold pretty steady even with a new free flowing exhaust. It should "spool" up a little quicker and will essentially "shift" the HP Dyno curve to the left.
ie. Same HP, many RPM's sooner - and hence - Your Hp figure will climb even higher by the time you hit 6350 redline. With the HP #'s that you are looking for, I would suspect you'll easily see 40 -50 RWHP by going f/stock exhaust to True Dual's

I'm not the exhaust guru!! Just my .02 - Anybody out there who can confirm this??
Here is the response I got from Steve Jarvis (a fellow supraforums member).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you remove the cats and upgrade the muffler, you will have less restriction and more boost. This will give you more hp. You will still see a hp increase at the same boost, but most of the increase will be the higher boost. For example (not real #'s, but close). If you have a Supra with stock exhaust, you may only see 19psi max and only 15psi by redline. With an aftermarket exhaust you would be able to see 21psi and 16.5psi at redline. You would make more peak hp and tq. If you then restricted the boost wo 18.5psi. You would probably see the same peak tq, but still more peak hp. The other thing is your cylinder temps are probably going to be lower with the restrictive cat removed. This will reduce the chance of detonation and the resulting timing retard. If this is the case you will see more power from more timing with the upgraded exhaust also.

Later, Steve
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not really sweating the agreement for 500RWHP, I'm holding Mo to it. I don't want the exhaust to cloud the issue in making this figure as it is just something extra to do down the road. As far as the intercooler goes, I think I see some extra $ here on my invoice towards this cause so I assume I won't be needing any type of an upgrade in this area. I think you are absolutely right in what you have said in your post. Also, Steve's answer to my question is very similar to yours so I assume you are correct. Looking forward to seeing your car in more action
Old 12-24-02, 01:09 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

kensttgs400 - I knew you were going to get a larger intercooler sooner or later, especially being down in hot FL! Your 1/4 mile times are impressive considering all of the extra weight you have, plus the temp. SRT has a more smaller, more efficient intercooler that Mariusz will have, and thats what you would probably get also. I guess there is some disadvantages to being the test car! lol But I am not complaining.

Mariusz - I agree with Ken, don't sweat it! But, keep doing that research on things like the exhaust, etc. Just <b>BE CAREFUL</b> when you finish your break-in period!!!! Your car is going to be a beast, and it WILL bite ya! I understand how it is to be too far away from SRT when they have your car. Also do some research on tires, because I think you and I have the same tires, and they hold well under WOT, but you still will lose tractions. I will definitely be changing my tires. I am thinking about the Bridgestone Potenza S-02.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo's 1/4 mi. perform. #'s - "Smokin!"