Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 08:07 AM
ais300c
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo help

So I know people say eBay is the devil when it comes to parts, and I say that to say this. I am going to be pulling my engine out resealing it and kind of building it up, however, buying all of the individual little pieces seems to be tedious so, if I bough the kit and changed some of the parts ( turbo manifold etc) would it be acceptable? And I'm asking simply because I was trying to avoid buying ALL things separate. And also what are good companies to buy turbo parts for our cars a decent prices? Thanks in advance
Old 01-23-13, 08:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

just buy them all separate... you are way far ahead....
Old 01-24-13, 05:44 PM
Boost_lee
Rookie

Are you planning to go na-t? "Resealing" isn't cheap if we are on the same page here. Tearing the motor apart to ready it for a turbo, IMO, ordering a GTE LONGBLOCK will be cheaper and less of an headache if you want it done right and reliable.
Old 01-24-13, 09:37 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

boost lee, I can get a reseal kit a cost, i work for an automotive shop, so its not that expensive and this will be done by me in my garage, mitsu I figured that was the answer and just wanted others opinion and also doing a complete motor swap was never my intension due to the fact I would have to do much more in a swap than a na-t build. I feel that I would be able to build my engine easier and cheaper than doing a swap due to harness mounting issues etc. mitsu, give me some ideas on companies I sould buy from for parts all of my friends own subarus, those guys are useless lol thanks for your input
Old 01-25-13, 12:09 PM
selmerguy
Driver School Candidate

How far are you going to break the block down? GTE internals? If you are not going to do internals make sure you get thr right thickness HG or you are "resealing" for nothing. Lots of Turbo kits out there. If you want a complete kit with little to no Mods required SRT had one but its pricy. I am planning on using the xs power kit and doing the little stuff that the kit does not come with. Make sure you do your reading first and make a good plan. You could piece all your turbo parts togeather and depending on what parts you buy prolly have a better kit than the SRT kit or at least as good for quite a bit less money. Also look into EMS and decide what you want to do there. The IS ecu is quite a bit different than most ecus.. It can cause a headache if you ler it.
Old 01-26-13, 03:45 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

well the srt kit is detailed but lets get real, its incredibly overpriced. I am probably just going to change pistons and rods for the upgrade and I was looking at the xs kit and changing a little bit of the parts. I am trying to just get some ideas on what to buy and where to buy it. I want somewhere in the 400 hp range maybe more. I know a lot about cars and Im familiar with a lot of things on the lexus and again I take all advise so I can make this thing happen. I have found a MASSIVE oil leak coming from the cam seal and oil pan gasket sooo now this is becoming a more speedy process then just piecing it together slowly. So yeah I just need the place to get the parts and really what to get and I will get it. Then post my build of course lol
Old 01-27-13, 06:25 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you must change the seals before you have a chance to source all your turbo kit stuff, and are thinking about building the motor, even if lower compression than stock, it isn't the end of the world, sure, it will be down on power due to the lower compression ratio, but will still be drivable...
Old 01-27-13, 01:25 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

I am going to build it and also turbo it at the same time I am not pulling the engine out twice lol I just need to know where to buy the parts what is a good reputable store to buy stuff at
Old 01-27-13, 05:40 PM
selmerguy
Driver School Candidate

I was planning on doing the HG and ARPs a little before I to the turbo install. Really the only work you are doing twice would be the exhaust gaskets and stuff.
Old 01-28-13, 05:27 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

yeah but why take it in rebuild install remove again turbo reinstall.... it just seems like more work than needed ya know?
Old 01-28-13, 05:59 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Your better off buying a good turbo like Precision turbo or Borg Warner turbo brand new.then piece a used Wastegate(tial),BOV(tial),turbo manifold.which you can find a lot of parts on here and supraforums.then you can get good stuff for your build.thats what I did.
Old 01-28-13, 06:08 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

I have looked at the precision turbo and what not, I know everyone says dont be cheap but I am only trying to get to like around 400 hp. I cant find a precision turbo or something like that for under a grand, I cant justify putting 6-10 grand in a turbo build when I know what I am looking for I can build it for less than that. but again any ideas are better than none lol ifound a kit not a full kit but that basics for like 1500 from driftmotion. its got the turbo bov down pipe wastegate oil feed/return. I would need the intercooler fuel pump mangement gauges boost controller etc but that stuff i can piece together
Old 01-28-13, 07:01 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ais300c
I have looked at the precision turbo and what not, I know everyone says dont be cheap but I am only trying to get to like around 400 hp. I cant find a precision turbo or something like that for under a grand, I cant justify putting 6-10 grand in a turbo build when I know what I am looking for I can build it for less than that. but again any ideas are better than none lol ifound a kit not a full kit but that basics for like 1500 from driftmotion. its got the turbo bov down pipe wastegate oil feed/return. I would need the intercooler fuel pump mangement gauges boost controller etc but that stuff i can piece together
Borg Warner makes good turbos for under a grand.check out www.BoostLab.com.thats where I got mine from.I'm not sure what type of turbo comes in the driftmotion kit.but the last thing you want is your turbo going out on you.
Old 01-29-13, 06:48 AM
selmerguy
Driver School Candidate

Holset HX 35 or 40 can be had very cheap and you could be one of the few running one on a 2jz. I am still on the fence about trying to budget build with one. I ran a hx35 with a custom t3 exhaust housing made by Mike at Majestic Turbo(the man) on a 4g63 and it was beast. 30 psi was no problem and I never ran out of turbo. Really likes nitrous and spooled very quick. If I decide to piece togeather my own kit I will most likely go this route. Check out all the holset threads. You used to be able to find BW turbos cheap too but I think the days of finding cheaper diesel turbos is comming to a end. Alot of good reading on the net about it.
Old 01-29-13, 02:55 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

awesome I will definitely check out those turbos, what about garrett? this kit I found had one and it is 1500 with just a few things but seems like it has a good kit to it. just a thought