Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

V6 exhaust crackling sound question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 04:03 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default V6 exhaust crackling sound question

1. Any way for our ISs to sound like this or what makes this V6 350z sound like this?
2. I know it has a magnaflow on it, does it's resonator, size of piping give it that crackling sound when he lets off the throttle.
3. Im not in it for HP or TQ gains, just interested in the sound. Thank you.
Old 01-21-13, 04:15 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headers and Tanabe could be a good start. With ear phones that Z sound similar but more aggressive than my is250.

But side by side the Z sound is usually preferred with 'similar' exhaust mods.
Old 01-21-13, 04:19 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gaugster
Headers and Tanabe could be a good start. With ear phones that Z sound similar but more aggressive than my is250.

But side by side the Z sound is usually preferred with 'similar' exhaust mods.
not sure if the 350Z owner had headers on. he on his video custom catback magnaflow. So I assumed he only changed parts after the cat. Do you have a video of your setup?
Old 01-21-13, 05:28 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out my signature. There are 3 videos in total that I have made. My first phone was from my phone and the sig' didn't come through.

Last edited by Gaugster; 01-21-13 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 08:34 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

More open your exhaust flow, the more it crackles, however the most common explanation for this is a rich AFR. Check out the vids with straight pipes. VQ engines are notorious for this as even with a VQ35HR midpipe, my old G35 coupe had a audible crackle.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...250-build.html

Check this out (not mine):

Last edited by Uda880; 01-21-13 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 08:57 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

thanks Uda. bigger piping + straight flow helps in this crackle sound. but if its rich is this sound left over gas popping in the tailpipes?
Old 01-21-13, 09:11 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshohoho
thanks Uda. bigger piping + straight flow helps in this crackle sound. but if its rich is this sound left over gas popping in the tailpipes?
After reading a few threads from various forums on this, that's usually the explanation as to why it happens. Although, another theory is that it could also be backpressure forcing air back into the headers due to a vacuum created after fuel burn, but that's less plausible.
Old 01-21-13, 10:05 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Uda880
After reading a few threads from various forums on this, that's usually the explanation as to why it happens. Although, another theory is that it could also be backpressure forcing air back into the headers due to a vacuum created after fuel burn, but that's less plausible.
lol your explanations are the same whey i understand it but you put it better in words. most of the setups i see have flowmaster mufflers/resonators and they have multiple chambers that create back pressure. I saw these on cut-away pics of flowmasters. So I was hoping someone would say getting flowmaster mufflers in place of my resonator would make the same sound from my F-sport exhaust
Old 01-21-13, 11:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

mmm backfire
Old 01-22-13, 06:48 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

I do not believe this to be a "rich air fuel ratio" issue. This is typical when in cold weather, as it is natural that you get a pop/crackle when the exhaust sucks cold air back into the hot pipes. I have had this issue with my IS350, but only after installing my axle back and mid pipes, and only in cold weather. I deem this as a normal condition when running aftermarket exhaust. Yep! I have a few friends (mind you with different cars) who have encountered the same issue. No worries.
Old 01-22-13, 08:50 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slammer1
I do not believe this to be a "rich air fuel ratio" issue. This is typical when in cold weather, as it is natural that you get a pop/crackle when the exhaust sucks cold air back into the hot pipes. I have had this issue with my IS350, but only after installing my axle back and mid pipes, and only in cold weather. I deem this as a normal condition when running aftermarket exhaust. Yep! I have a few friends (mind you with different cars) who have encountered the same issue. No worries.
thank you. I actually want my car to sound more like this. My car has the F-Sport exhaust installed, but doesnt crackle as much as this 350Z in the video.
Old 01-27-13, 12:56 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Anyone still reading my thread or all exhaust experts:

What if I put a Flowmaster resonator like the 60 series to replace the OEM resonator?
How will it affect drone?

*side note: I have the F-Sport Axelback
Old 01-27-13, 05:55 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

No idea on how that would affect the sound. You're just about going to have to hope for someone that has tried that exact combination to know for sure. I did the resonator delete and the drone was awful. I would think you would have louder exhaust and perhaps less drone with an aftermarket resonator, but still won't know til you try. It would be cheaper than mid pipes, but you are out the money you spent to try it if you don't like it.....
Old 01-27-13, 09:07 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slammer1
No idea on how that would affect the sound. You're just about going to have to hope for someone that has tried that exact combination to know for sure. I did the resonator delete and the drone was awful. I would think you would have louder exhaust and perhaps less drone with an aftermarket resonator, but still won't know til you try. It would be cheaper than mid pipes, but you are out the money you spent to try it if you don't like it.....
I'm about to try it. but I'm getting a spare mid pipe to experiment on.