Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Straight pipe IS250 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 04:58 PM
surensm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight pipe IS250 Build

Alright guys ill be taking my car to a muffler shop soon to get my resonators and mufflers deleted. The shop manager is offering me a deal, 200-250 (he has to look at it first though). I'll be posting pics soon. What do you guys think? Is that a good deal?

For now

Last edited by surensm; 01-17-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-17-13, 06:12 PM
infate
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Prepare for crazy drone at 1.5k - 3k range. It'll definitely be louder and maybe raspier as well.

For 200 dollars, I think it's a bit on the high side. You can get a full custom straight pipe exhaust for maybe 300 - 400 dollars.

If you want an exhaust that is sufficiently loud and has little to no drone, you should buy my rare Lexus HKS. =)
Old 01-17-13, 06:22 PM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by infate
Prepare for crazy drone at 1.5k - 3k range. It'll definitely be louder and maybe raspier as well.

For 200 dollars, I think it's a bit on the high side. You can get a full custom straight pipe exhaust for maybe 300 - 400 dollars.

If you want an exhaust that is sufficiently loud and has little to no drone, you should buy my rare Lexus HKS. =)
I was thinking about it but that's definitely on high side, almost 800 lol. I Might just do resonator delete for now ill see
Old 01-17-13, 07:32 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Have you heard what it'll sound like yet?
Remove your axle-back first at least and drive around. If that's too loud, remember that only the mufflers are removed with the axle-back (resonator still on). It'll be really loud and for $200-300 you could just install an electronic cutout that would offer exactly what you're going for but you could make your exhaust loud/quiet with the flip of a switch

Old 01-17-13, 07:45 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was charged $90 to delete my mufflers and resonator. I had my custom quad exhaust made for just $200 labor and the parts were under $300.

Just know that your car will be loud outside AND inside. After deleting my mufflers and resonator, the drone was just crazy. I was scared to go past 3K RPMs cause it got so loud and my dashboard starts vibrating too.
Old 01-17-13, 08:49 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did a muffler delete before. $55 each. drone will get annoying.
Old 01-17-13, 08:58 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

This is what your call will sound like:

Old 01-17-13, 09:17 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking of doing a straight pipe setup before but decided against it
Old 01-17-13, 09:49 PM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by Joshohoho
This is what your call will sound like:

ENJOY THE DRONE
Yeah after I saw this video I was fairly discouraged. Should I install an M2 axle back instead with resonators out? It'll sound like this:

A little drone I do not mind, a lot will be a problem however
Old 01-17-13, 10:22 PM
infate
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by surensm
I was thinking about it but that's definitely on high side, almost 800 lol. I Might just do resonator delete for now ill see
Save up and buy quality parts!

Originally Posted by chi123
I was charged $90 to delete my mufflers and resonator. I had my custom quad exhaust made for just $200 labor and the parts were under $300.

Just know that your car will be loud outside AND inside. After deleting my mufflers and resonator, the drone was just crazy. I was scared to go past 3K RPMs cause it got so loud and my dashboard starts vibrating too.
I almost went through with going what you did, but I decided to go against it just because, haha.

Yeah after I saw this video I was fairly discouraged. Should I install an M2 axle back instead with resonators out? It'll sound like this:
http://youtu.be/GvtX9bsF77g

A little drone I do not mind, a lot will be a problem however
Any exhaust without resonators will cause a fair amount of drone.

Let me use the F-Sport Exhaust vs Lexus HKS Exhaust comparison, here.

Originally Posted by carchitect
The Left side muffers on both vehicles are the same and use a perforated core with packing to quiten the exhaust w/o hurting flow. The right side muffler on the Lexus HKS exhaust is a tuned resonance chamber. The right side muffler on the Lexus F-sport exhuast is a dummy muffler that is a straight shot from end to end and the shell is there for apperance only.
If you do a simple search, there will be people complaining about the drone caused by the F-Sport Exhaust. The reason? The straight pipe dummy muffler. It's why the Lexus HKS has little no drone, because of the tuned resonator.
Old 01-17-13, 10:25 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

F-sport. pricey quiet when cruising and loud with almost no drone.

Last edited by Joshohoho; 01-17-13 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-17-13, 10:51 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Hey Surensm that's my video
I can upload some more vids of my exhaust if you'd like but keep looking through my channel!
Old 01-18-13, 03:25 PM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by Snyperifle
I can upload some more vids of my exhaust if you'd like but keep looking through my channel!
Nice, I saw the one with the left muffler deleted as well. Could that be unhealthy in any way, shape or form? And do you get much drone? And do you even care that you get drone? Also, are you running any exhaust cutouts?
Old 01-18-13, 05:56 PM
Silent53
Rookie

Originally Posted by Snyperifle
Are you from Houston ? Howvmuch did you pay for your resonator delete?
Old 01-19-13, 01:31 AM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Nice, I saw the one with the left muffler deleted as well. Could that be unhealthy in any way, shape or form? And do you get much drone? And do you even care that you get drone? Also, are you running any exhaust cutouts?
Unhealthy... I really doubt it lol. Perhaps by opening up some flow in the exhaust system you may lose power but it's already after the main choke point when the 2 catted pipes go into 1 resonated pipe so who knows. The butt dyno can't tell if I gained or lost any hp lol. However the SPM (smiles-per-mile) skyrocketed . It's really fun to blast around in a loud car through tunnels haha. The first week I had my left muffler off I couldn't stop smiling as I drove around lol.
Yes, drone was crazy on the highway. Since then, I've put my left muffler back on (I tested ~80 decibels average on an iPhone app when I cruise with the M2 exhaust + resonator delete. Without the muffler it's much louder than that.) No, I don't have exhaust cutouts but it's the next mod I have planned. I would like the loud exhaust when I'm sprinting around but quiet when I'm on the long highway runs.

Originally Posted by Silent53
Are you from Houston ? Howvmuch did you pay for your resonator delete?
Yea I'm in Houston. I paid $65 but I'm sure you could get it done cheaper. It's an easy 10-minute job for a skilled welder.

Last edited by Snyperifle; 01-19-13 at 01:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Straight pipe IS250 Build