Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE Header review - 05 GS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 08:41 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man Brian.. I knew you were going to say that.
You know how it goes.. family first. Come Spring the GS will be a priority! I have a garage full of parts.

Plus Brian.. the link you provided is incorrect. Those are for the SC which are NOT the same as the GS.
Old 01-08-13, 11:08 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
Oh man Brian.. I knew you were going to say that.
You know how it goes.. family first. Come Spring the GS will be a priority! I have a garage full of parts.

Plus Brian.. the link you provided is incorrect. Those are for the SC which are NOT the same as the GS.
the link is correct, sort of.... according to megans site the part # is MRS-LX-0240 and according to the partshawks site these are also used on the SC and im 99% sure dont interchange so maybe the partshawks site has them listed incorrectly

here is the GS link

http://www.partshawk.com/product/mgn-1183

same part # as in my last link.........
Old 01-09-13, 01:52 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info fellas! Waiting to get some motor mounts before I do the install, now to decide whether to go for the meagans or O.E.M
Old 03-25-13, 05:28 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ended up going with OEM motor mounts and did the PPE header install this past weekend, Man the driver's side was a PITA! Took me about 6 hrs. for the driver's side and 2 hrs. for the passenger side. Did the install in my driveway. But the hard work was well worth it!

I feel the car a lot smoother at idle cuz of the new mounts, and quick acceleration due to the headers, I love the way my car picks up speed and the exhaust sounds niceeee!
The following users liked this post:
MrBlack000 (05-23-20)
Old 03-25-13, 05:48 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I want these headers so bad, but a 10+ hour instal doesn't sound fun to me.
MrBlack000 (05-23-20)
Old 03-25-13, 06:05 PM
timeless88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds mean!
MrBlack000 (05-23-20)
Old 03-26-13, 07:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by clos430
Ended up going with OEM motor mounts and did the PPE header install this past weekend, Man the driver's side was a PITA! Took me about 6 hrs. for the driver's side and 2 hrs. for the passenger side. Did the install in my driveway. But the hard work was well worth it!
welcome to a small group of us who have done this....the drivers side was indeed a PITA. hopefully you dont have any leaks and have to redo them. i will never undo mine unless i have the motor out

shew, glad those are over
Old 03-26-13, 08:50 AM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
welcome to a small group of us who have done this....the drivers side was indeed a PITA. hopefully you dont have any leaks and have to redo them. i will never undo mine unless i have the motor out

shew, glad those are over
I have done this 3 times on my car now.... I iinstalled the PPE (yeah it was a pain in the ***) then removed them and reinstalled oem, then decided to go PPE again. I guess i have installed headers onto my car 3 times now. it gets easier every time. Think the last time took me under 4 hours for both sides. R&I
MrBlack000 (05-23-20)
Old 04-01-13, 05:26 PM
bigL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ILL05GS
They do now: http://www.meganracing.com/product.a...=1407&catid=91
And they are cheaper than oem retail cost.
I just replaced my motor and trans mounts and havent even drivin the car yet. Wish I had seen these.....

It took me around 12+hours to fight the heat shields off to install my headers. Worst part was I got some of the first junky S&S and they cracked immediately. Not so bad the second time around though
MrBlack000 (05-23-20)
Old 05-23-13, 01:04 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Can anyone that has had these headers installed for some time chime in on the durability? Have they had any issues similar to the S&S? Thanks.
Old 05-23-13, 01:55 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had my headers installed for a year or so, no issues whatsoever, great mod. i then removed them and sold them to another member. Never heard back from him so i assume there were no issues. I was going to sell my car, but then decided to keep it, so I installed another set of headers on it. This was approx 5-6 months ago. No issues once again. Great mod
MrBlack000 (05-23-20)
Old 05-23-20, 05:33 AM
MrBlack000
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed these about a week ago and I am very happy with them. I notice a little more low end scoot when pulling away from stop lights. All I have installed other than the headers is the Injen short ram. I still have 100% stock exhaust. The install to say lightly was a complete nightmare. I am an experienced tech, working on a full shop lift and it still took me about 10 hrs. I wasn't speeding through it, making sure to get everything right but these are an extremely tight fit. And in the process of intially jacking up the engine I forgot to unplug the driver side AFR sensor connector from the main harness and it ripped all 4 wires out of the harness side. This took about 1.5 hours to repair as these wires are TINY and soldering them individually with almost no room was the biggest challenge. I ended up having to change the wire colors because I used plugs from another harness connector so I would have more room to work with. Luckily no check engine lights yet so it is holding up. You need a pretty good set of tools to get to all of the nuts/bolts and make sure you have someone helping you, it makes things a lot easier. Needless to say I hope I never have to change these out again! lol I made sure to use copper silicone on both the header-head flange and header-cat flange to lower the risk of leaks. I did have to cut off the steering shaft heat shield for clearance. That brings me to the ceramic coating. This is nothing short of amazing. The next day I put the car back on the lift to retighten all the bolts and the engine heads/block were scolding hot but I cannot believe this: I could grab the headers with my hand and they were not even hot at all. Lukewarm. Incredible coating. So you guys worried about ridding of the heat shield, worry not. This stuff is great.

I am hoping to see even more gains when I get my exhaust pieces all together and made up. I plan on running 2.5" piping all the way back from the cats back and converting into a true dual exhaust. Replacing the y-pipe/cat with a dual-in/dual-out MAC ProChamber.
I'm trying to decide on headers 10hours of labor and a $1000... from the looks of this thread everyone is pleased even after loosing a day banging knuckles...

re x pipe... When I bought my 2003 GS430, a few months back, it had an exhaust leak, so we (my local exhaust shop) replaced the h.pipe w/2.5 stainless back. Replaced the resonators with an x pipe. It felt restricted on the stock cans, so they installed some magnaflows with some clean tips.[sounds great, tame at idle, minimal drone, you can conversate on the highway, but barks under load. More importantly it works a little better, not as badass as straightpipes but nice]
the numbers on the headers look intriguing..... did your sound profile change any with the stock after-cats?

Last edited by MrBlack000; 05-23-20 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-23-20, 07:05 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Dude, that last thread was over seven years ago - lol.

But for what’s it’s worth i just installed some S&S headers last month. Not that hard. My tips? (1) Use a saws all to cut the factory header when you can get to a stud cuz ur just gonna trash it anyway. (2) Spray the studs down with Seafoam DeepCreep for a few days prior. (3) Use an engine lift cuz with the floor jack wood block on the oil pan method, the engine tends to slip and slide sometimes.

K&N intake, resonator delete and cat back exhaust.
Sounds nice, little to no drone.
Low end torque much improved and cars breathes really good at high speed especially when I get on it.
Old 05-23-20, 10:25 AM
ILL05GS
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome back from the dead lol
I honestly don't remember what changed, if anything, with the headers/stock cat-back. It's been too long. I would have to guess that there was a small change in tone, but something you only notice at higher revs.
For reference, here's what it sounds like after I did the custom cat-back w mac prochamber and aero turbines:
firelizard (05-23-20)
Old 05-23-20, 12:18 PM
MrBlack000
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For reference, here's what it sounds like after I did the custom cat-back w mac prochamber and aero turbines:
https://youtu.be/_WTC_lHSUTs
that sounds amazing.
ILL05GS (05-23-20)