Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Twin Turbo IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-12, 09:02 PM
surensm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo IS250?

BEFORE ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING READ: THIS IS AN IDEA, A THEORY, NOT AN ACTUAL PROJECT (and I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum so please redirect me if I'm wrong).

Anyways, many of you have probably read my minor complaint about the 250 being a bit dull (click here for the post) and I was wondering if there's any way to install a twin turbo kit.

Before anything however, I'm wondering if the engine is just incapable of handling the boost or if there's just no one who ever bothered to make a twin turbo kit.

I know it will probably be more expensive than buying a 350 or installing a 2jz-g(t)e however it's just a pure theory, an Idea.

I watched a video on YouTube here of an ISF twin turbo and I liked the idea of putting the turbos behind the exhaust and I was wondering if such a thing was possible with the 250 model.

Again, don't bombard me with insults, I'm just purely interested if it is possible. And if I'm in the wrong area, please kindly redirect me.
Old 12-30-12, 09:35 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

In theory, yes you could. You'd be limited to about 7lbs of boost though. The engines are high compression (12:1 in 250, 11.8:1 in 350) and the injectors are at ~100% with this low of boost as well. You're also limited to no real tuning, but piggy backs are available (hks f-con and mapecu3).

No one turbos these cars, and very few have supercharged (I am one of them)

Hks350 had a great build and run with supercharger at I believe 8.5lbs of boost in his 350 using the hks f-con in conjunction. MikeLlucci had a great build thread on his 350, and Pepos also has a great build thread on his 250. All supercharged. I am running 7psi as well, and have a small build thread.
Old 12-30-12, 11:49 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

With enough money, anything is possible. But for the IS250, it isn't remotely practical or realistic. Your IS250 is so new man, let it grow on you a little more! I didn't like how slow my IS250 was before but the more I've modded it, the more I fall in love with it.
Old 12-31-12, 12:25 AM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by Snyperifle
With enough money, anything is possible. But for the IS250, it isn't remotely practical or realistic. Your IS250 is so new man, let it grow on you a little more! I didn't like how slow my IS250 was before but the more I've modded it, the more I fall in love with it.
I guess you're right. Im going for sway bars soon will post results later
Old 12-31-12, 12:28 AM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
In theory, yes you could. You'd be limited to about 7lbs of boost though. The engines are high compression (12:1 in 250, 11.8:1 in 350) and the injectors are at ~100% with this low of boost as well. You're also limited to no real tuning, but piggy backs are available (hks f-con and mapecu3).

No one turbos these cars, and very few have supercharged (I am one of them)

Hks350 had a great build and run with supercharger at I believe 8.5lbs of boost in his 350 using the hks f-con in conjunction. MikeLlucci had a great build thread on his 350, and Pepos also has a great build thread on his 250. All supercharged. I am running 7psi as well, and have a small build thread.
Thanks for the info man.

Well it makes sense. What if one was to increase compression on these cars to about 2997cc or so, I'm sure a little over 3000 won't kill it.

I still don't get why would Toyota drop their magnificent I6 for a V6
Old 12-31-12, 01:29 AM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by surensm
Thanks for the info man.

Well it makes sense. What if one was to increase compression on these cars to about 2997cc or so, I'm sure a little over 3000 won't kill it.

I still don't get why would Toyota drop their magnificent I6 for a V6
???
I think you're confused 2997cc is the displacement not compressio. The IS350 has 3499cc of displacement if you knew what you're talking about.

Toyota/Lexus or any other car manufacturer use V6 engines in place of I6 because V6 blocks can fit in small shorter engine bays.

Last edited by Joshohoho; 12-31-12 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-31-12, 05:09 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshohoho
Toyota/Lexus or any other car manufacturer use V6 engines in place of I6 because V6 blocks can fit in small shorter engine bays.
Not really, BMW still uses inline six.

Lou
Old 12-31-12, 07:28 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess fuel costs is a major concern for replacing I6 to a V6. 2jz is a great engine but it's out dated on its fuel consumption. The fuel price 15+ yrs ago is a big gap than the fuel price now.
Old 12-31-12, 11:50 AM
surensm
Driver

???
I think you're confused 2997cc is the displacement not compressio. The IS350 has 3499cc of displacement if you knew what you're talking about.

I'm sorry you're right, terminology confusion

That makes sense, I guess. But still, I6 is always more fin
Old 12-31-12, 11:52 AM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by zen
I guess fuel costs is a major concern for replacing I6 to a V6. 2jz is a great engine but it's out dated on its fuel consumption. The fuel price 15+ yrs ago is a big gap than the fuel price now.
True. Speaking of which, my IS does 12.6 barely on average (at least that's what it shows on the rectangular display). Is it just a mistake made by the computer, is it cause its still breaking in (unless it has already been broken in by the dealer) or is it cause of a problem? It shows on average it should be doing 20something in the city.
Old 12-31-12, 05:44 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I started to mock up a rear mounted turbo setup on my IS350...for a hanndful of reasons I'd sooner slap an S/C back in the engine compartment and call it a day. The biggest issue is physical space even with a rear mounted turbo setup. You'll be hard pressed to fit two tiny turbos, waste gates and compressor piping routing back to the fmic. I purchased an ISF rear bumper to use the driver side muffler space for an a/r 50/63 turbo but it still hung lower then I liked and I like my cars slammed...wasn't going to work out! There's additional reasons but it was mainly my OCD that wouldn't do this setup on my car. (Oil oil oil routing and cooling)

Originally Posted by heyarms
All supercharged. I am running 7psi as well, and have a small build thread.
Adam, I hope you're enjoying your setup! Did you dyno yet?!!!

Last edited by mikellucci; 12-31-12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 05:51 PM
siqsc
Rookie

Talking

I wish Lexus would make Isf in AWD. Now that would be bad a$&
Old 12-31-12, 07:21 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Adam, I hope you're enjoying your setup! Did you dyno yet?!!!
no... I was supposed to try and go today but totally forgot and sat on the couch all day. Been on vacation for too long and have gotten accustomed to not doing much all day, going back to work Wednesday is going to be a rude awakening I'll update my thread as soon as I do. Nothing to hide, even if it's super low numbers, the car sounds awesome and is definitely a blast to drive
Old 12-31-12, 07:56 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by surensm
I'm sorry you're right, terminology confusion

That makes sense, I guess. But still, I6 is always more fin
since your thread is about twin turbo and you mentioned I6 being more fun.
think about the nissan GTR it has a twin turbo V6.
Old 01-02-13, 02:32 PM
surensm
Driver

since your thread is about twin turbo and you mentioned I6 being more fun.
think about the nissan GTR it has a twin turbo V6.
True again. But it is 3.8 liters, whereas a 3.0 liter I6 could deliver similar numbers if modified to a certain extend

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo IS250?