Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tuner for GS400/430??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-14, 11:44 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
From everything I've read//been reading, that's basically it: the ecu will eventually overwrite the tune, with the exception being WOT settings since 99% of drivers rarely stay there for more than a few seconds at a time.There's an older post where one of the guys who got his dyno'd previously had it re-dyno'd and showed the results. I'll post it if I can find it.
Yeah if you can post it that'd be great. I need to see that. Is there anyone running a supercharger without a piggyback and if so is it running lean at all? Assuming a little rich is ok? Didnt some guy have a sc on his gs and he was running it for like years without a piggyback ecu?
Old 01-02-14, 01:31 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
Yeah if you can post it that'd be great. I need to see that. Is there anyone running a supercharger without a piggyback and if so is it running lean at all? Assuming a little rich is ok? Didnt some guy have a sc on his gs and he was running it for like years without a piggyback ecu?
Here you go:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...l-it-work.html

- Post #3 from Rock-a-Lex, in particular.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...lts-gs430.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...15-10-a-9.html
Old 01-02-14, 09:12 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Hm.. Thanks! Do these need to be tuned on a dyno? Now im confused with what afc to get. do they all work or do ones work better then others? It makes sense that a wot tune would stay alot longer. I wonder if any 1 is doing this with a supercharger setup but it seems like it would just be running lean at all times until wot. Iv had this frikin supercharger sittin at my house for the longest time. Whats the point of putting it on if the ecu will delete my tune. Even if the wot tune stays i dont wanna be running lean during city driving. Now im a little irritated that i didnt buy a cheap gs3 and invested into a ls swap
Old 01-03-14, 04:05 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

My first car wasnt tuned on a dyno, just on the road. However, I'd be willing to bet that dyno tuning would not only be easier, but yield better results... although it'll all come down to the tuner in the end.

I'm not too sure about the differences between the AFC models. I just ended up purchasing a Neo since its what I've seen everyone using, not to mention its more aesthetically pleasing Your best bet would be to ask TT Turbopimp (sp?), Speedaddic, or one of the other guys with boosted UZ's to see what fuel management they're running. For my setup (I/H/E), an AFC is sufficient, but I wouldn't chance running one with a forced induction setup... just my opinion.

What SC are you planning to run? It may be best to check with the manufacturer and see what they recommend.
Old 01-03-14, 10:33 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

My first car wasnt tuned on a dyno, just on the road. However, I'd be willing to bet that dyno tuning would not only be easier, but yield better results... although it'll all come down to the tuner in the end.

I'm not too sure about the differences between the AFC models. I just ended up purchasing a Neo since its what I've seen everyone using, not to mention its more aesthetically pleasing Your best bet would be to ask TT Turbopimp (sp?), Speedaddic, or one of the other guys with boosted UZ's to see what fuel management they're running. For my setup (I/H/E), an AFC is sufficient, but I wouldn't chance running one with a forced induction setup... just my opinion.

What SC are you planning to run? It may be best to check with the manufacturer and see what they recommend.
This might sound stupid but i plan on trying to learn how to tune cars so i can do it myself. I dont trust anyone unless i can i am 100% i can hold them liable if something happens. Almost every shop iv been to has f'd up my car and always blamed it on me saying it was running like that when it came in. Thats when i got my first assault charge. And i already have the supercharger its a v2 i have a pic of it in 1 of my threads. I plan on running low boost. Iv been holding off on it due to this frikin af problem i dont want to have. And iv messaged some of the memebers they were all helpfull but i never got to ask all of them about there tune. 1 of them told me he is always fighting his stock ecu. I know there is a way around this without going standalone. Since the rmm sc is basically a vortech i dont understand why there was no ecu that came with it.
Old 01-03-14, 10:02 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might sound stupid but i plan on trying to learn how to tune cars so i can do it myself. I dont trust anyone unless i can i am 100% i can hold them liable if something happens. Almost every shop iv been to has f'd up my car and always blamed it on me saying it was running like that when it came in. Thats when i got my first assault charge. And i already have the supercharger its a v2 i have a pic of it in 1 of my threads. I plan on running low boost. Iv been holding off on it due to this frikin af problem i dont want to have. And iv messaged some of the memebers they were all helpfull but i never got to ask all of them about there tune. 1 of them told me he is always fighting his stock ecu. I know there is a way around this without going standalone. Since the rmm sc is basically a vortech i dont understand why there was no ecu that came with it.
You have a lot to understand about boosting a UZ. I don't say that as an insult, I say that because I had a boosted 3uz and have gained a decent understanding of boosting the UZ via the RMM kit (vortech). I had an RMM kit that was missing a few critical components and had to have them made before finally being able to install my kit. I had the parts made after years of having an incomplete kit and finally installed the kit myself. It was awesome when installed, but from personal experience I can tell you that having the actual Vortech supercharger is the least important part of the kit. Well maybe not the least important but damn near....the reason I say that is because anybody can get one. They are available anywhere, its the rest of the parts of the kit that are not only the most expensive, but very difficult to fabricate for a reasonable amount of money.

To clear up some confusion......No ECU came with the original kit because it was running very low boost, equivalent of approx 315-325whp. Since this was accomplished with the oem injectors, then the oem ecu was able to increase the fuel to match the increase of air that was being pumped into the engine.....again.....no standalone or piggyback ecu needed.

Problem is, you will want more boost right away, so when you install the smaller pulley to try and raise the whp to 375+ (a fun level) then you will need to install larger injectors, which the stock ecu WILL NOT be able to control (trust me I know, I killed 2 cats this way). So you will need a piggyback or standalone. Thath is where finding a good tuner comes in.

If you are happy with low 300whp, then you will not have to worry about a tuner, otherwise be prepared to spend quite a bit of money tuning your car.

Also be prepared to spend at least another 3k just in parts to "complete" your kit. (that is not including your V2). Also that does not include installation or tuning.

One last thing.....good luck going much over 400whp without belt slippage problem, or blowing your transmission.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-04-14, 12:29 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LALEX1
You have a lot to understand about boosting a UZ. I don't say that as an insult, I say that because I had a boosted 3uz and have gained a decent understanding of boosting the UZ via the RMM kit (vortech). I had an RMM kit that was missing a few critical components and had to have them made before finally being able to install my kit. I had the parts made after years of having an incomplete kit and finally installed the kit myself. It was awesome when installed, but from personal experience I can tell you that having the actual Vortech supercharger is the least important part of the kit. Well maybe not the least important but damn near....the reason I say that is because anybody can get one. They are available anywhere, its the rest of the parts of the kit that are not only the most expensive, but very difficult to fabricate for a reasonable amount of money.

To clear up some confusion......No ECU came with the original kit because it was running very low boost, equivalent of approx 315-325whp. Since this was accomplished with the oem injectors, then the oem ecu was able to increase the fuel to match the increase of air that was being pumped into the engine.....again.....no standalone or piggyback ecu needed.

Problem is, you will want more boost right away, so when you install the smaller pulley to try and raise the whp to 375+ (a fun level) then you will need to install larger injectors, which the stock ecu WILL NOT be able to control (trust me I know, I killed 2 cats this way). So you will need a piggyback or standalone. Thath is where finding a good tuner comes in.

If you are happy with low 300whp, then you will not have to worry about a tuner, otherwise be prepared to spend quite a bit of money tuning your car.

Also be prepared to spend at least another 3k just in parts to "complete" your kit. (that is not including your V2). Also that does not include installation or tuning.

One last thing.....good luck going much over 400whp without belt slippage problem, or blowing your transmission.

Hope that helps.
Nice...... U definatly cleared Things up for me. And trust me i was not insulted by that, i was asking questions to gain more knowledge about what im trying to do. And a low boost application is exactly what im trying to do. I was thinking 3-4 psi with a tranny cooler. From speaking to other Members i am aware that the trannys dont hold up well and most have broken at slightly over 380whp. I also assumed that the stock ecu would be able to adjust to low boost especially after reading the thread about the rmm getting released. But it still seems like other members dont agree and still think i need to use some kind of afc for fuel. When you had it on the car was it running lean at all? I personally think i wont be wanting to turn up boost that bad since my heart was set on a srt8 of some sort for my daily and almost buying a sc mustang made me want a car that had around 400crank hp. and i was thinking a gs430 running on low boost would hang with the very heavy srt8s and i wouldnt have to deal with the horrible american reliablility i had with my chrysler 300. I would also like to know why it would cost me 3k for parts. I was thinking for low boost all i would need is custom piping,bracket, intercooler and tensioner pulley? Im not sure i even would want to go high boost with the 3uz since i would have get the tranny built, go standalone, and thats already alot of money not to mention its even more $$$ for forged internals.
Old 01-05-14, 11:38 AM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Nice...... U definatly cleared Things up for me. And trust me i was not insulted by that, i was asking questions to gain more knowledge about what im trying to do. And a low boost application is exactly what im trying to do. I was thinking 3-4 psi with a tranny cooler. From speaking to other Members i am aware that the trannys dont hold up well and most have broken at slightly over 380whp. I also assumed that the stock ecu would be able to adjust to low boost especially after reading the thread about the rmm getting released. But it still seems like other members dont agree and still think i need to use some kind of afc for fuel. When you had it on the car was it running lean at all? I personally think i wont be wanting to turn up boost that bad since my heart was set on a srt8 of some sort for my daily and almost buying a sc mustang made me want a car that had around 400crank hp. and i was thinking a gs430 running on low boost would hang with the very heavy srt8s and i wouldnt have to deal with the horrible american reliablility i had with my chrysler 300. I would also like to know why it would cost me 3k for parts. I was thinking for low boost all i would need is custom piping,bracket, intercooler and tensioner pulley? Im not sure i even would want to go high boost with the 3uz since i would have get the tranny built, go standalone, and thats already alot of money not to mention its even more $$$ for forged internals.

400 crank horsepower isn't much on these cars. They are heavy and have a slow shifting transmission. I had mine on low boost for a day maybe, and then went with the smaller pulley to up the boost. I also added larger injectors as soon as I did this. I ran rich and blew my cats within a week or so.
I don't know if I was running lean when i was using the larger pulley because I had no check engine lights and had no way to measure it. Then again it was only for a day so who knows if the cel would have turned on, Though according to rmm specs it shouldnt have.

list of parts needed (aside from the actual sc unit) for RMM kit
intercooler plus piping,
BOV (not necessary but worth getting)
oil tap and drain
few "t" split offs and vacuum hoses
custom pipe to hold MAF and vacuum hoses (can probably use an intake from any intake manufacturer for this part)
couplings

here comes the fun part,
Bracket to hold SC unit to engine (i was quoted) 900-1000
spacer for thermostat (100)
sc belt tensioner assembly (600-1000)
and finally one of the most difficult parts....
You need to have a power steering pulley custom fabricated to basically hold 2 belts. One for the cars power steering pump, and also to drive the supercharger belt. This is the trickiest part. You have to find someone that has the same spline used in the oem lexus power steering pump to make you a custom dual belt power steering pulley so that the new pulley will fit on the oem pump. Good luck with that one....Or you can purchase the spline from a spline manufacturer and then have the custom pulley made.
Cost...
Spline-600+
Manufacturing custom pulley....500+

As you can see this can easily add up to or exceed $3000.
Not saying you cant have it done for less, miracles do happen, they're just not likely.
Also this does not include any installation...

No when you get bored of that...and you will....it's time to upgrade,
Piggy back/stand alone $$$$
Injectors $$$$$
Tuning $$$$$$

Get the picture???? Thats why these kits never became popular with these cars. People dont want to shell out 5k+ to supercharge these cars....

Here are 2 pics of back when I had my car supercharged 1st without piggyback, second with

Old 01-05-14, 03:38 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

400 crank horsepower isn't much on these cars. They are heavy and have a slow shifting transmission. I had mine on low boost for a day maybe, and then went with the smaller pulley to up the boost. I also added larger injectors as soon as I did this. I ran rich and blew my cats within a week or so.
I don't know if I was running lean when i was using the larger pulley because I had no check engine lights and had no way to measure it. Then again it was only for a day so who knows if the cel would have turned on, Though according to rmm specs it shouldnt have.

list of parts needed (aside from the actual sc unit) for RMM kit
intercooler plus piping,
BOV (not necessary but worth getting)
oil tap and drain
few "t" split offs and vacuum hoses
custom pipe to hold MAF and vacuum hoses (can probably use an intake from any intake manufacturer for this part)
couplings

here comes the fun part,
Bracket to hold SC unit to engine (i was quoted) 900-1000
spacer for thermostat (100)
sc belt tensioner assembly (600-1000)
and finally one of the most difficult parts....
You need to have a power steering pulley custom fabricated to basically hold 2 belts. One for the cars power steering pump, and also to drive the supercharger belt. This is the trickiest part. You have to find someone that has the same spline used in the oem lexus power steering pump to make you a custom dual belt power steering pulley so that the new pulley will fit on the oem pump. Good luck with that one....Or you can purchase the spline from a spline manufacturer and then have the custom pulley made.
Cost...
Spline-600+
Manufacturing custom pulley....500+

As you can see this can easily add up to or exceed $3000.
Not saying you cant have it done for less, miracles do happen, they're just not likely.
Also this does not include any installation...

No when you get bored of that...and you will....it's time to upgrade,
Piggy back/stand alone $$$$
Injectors $$$$$
Tuning $$$$$$

Get the picture???? Thats why these kits never became popular with these cars. People dont want to shell out 5k+ to supercharge these cars....

Here are 2 pics of back when I had my car supercharged 1st without piggyback, second with

I thought u can get the bracket from lextreme and the spacer for like 300$? This is starting to sound like a mission lol but im down. Still better then investing 10-20k more for a slightly faster unrealiable camaro or mustang, or buying a wicked fast amg or m5 that would cost me the same price as a used 3uz or 1uz engine when i take it in for maintainence lol. And im prolly going to try to get almost every part used like i did with the sc since the car itself is very used at 160k. And IMO 3k is a cheap price to pay for close to 400hp on a lexus. Just sayin, compared to other luxury cars its either the same price or alot more for minimal gains. I like hp but my goal is a little more ooomff and a nice engine sound to go with my already beautiful sounding straight pipes. Its my daily so i dont wanna throw drag radials on it and i want to keep it looking clean since im putting 20's on the car. If i want more power im going to do a ls3 swap witch i plan on doing sometime in the future when i get a lil more saved in the bank. But for now a cheap bolt on kit is what im lookin at. My uncle has his own shop down here and when time comes i will prolly sell the sc kit for like 1500 to someone who wants it and go from there. Anyways why did u get rid of yours?
Old 01-05-14, 08:27 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

I thought u can get the bracket from lextreme and the spacer for like 300$? This is starting to sound like a mission lol but im down. Still better then investing 10-20k more for a slightly faster unrealiable camaro or mustang, or buying a wicked fast amg or m5 that would cost me the same price as a used 3uz or 1uz engine when i take it in for maintainence lol. And im prolly going to try to get almost every part used like i did with the sc since the car itself is very used at 160k. And IMO 3k is a cheap price to pay for close to 400hp on a lexus. Just sayin, compared to other luxury cars its either the same price or alot more for minimal gains. I like hp but my goal is a little more ooomff and a nice engine sound to go with my already beautiful sounding straight pipes. Its my daily so i dont wanna throw drag radials on it and i want to keep it looking clean since im putting 20's on the car. If i want more power im going to do a ls3 swap witch i plan on doing sometime in the future when i get a lil more saved in the bank. But for now a cheap bolt on kit is what im lookin at. My uncle has his own shop down here and when time comes i will prolly sell the sc kit for like 1500 to someone who wants it and go from there. Anyways why did u get rid of yours?
I hadn't really looked into the lextreme bracket until now. Everything I was telling you was based on the RMM kit which is what I had and has been a successful mod for some time now.
As for the lextreme kit, first of all based on the pictures I saw on their website, the supercharger would have to sit on the opposite side of the engine as the RMM kit does. So i'm sure there would be quite a few things you would have to move around in the engine bay....ECU, etc (i'm sure it would be fun to reroute the ecu with all of those wires) Also I am yet to see a 2nd gen GS400/430 using a lextreme bracket to run a supercharger.
With the RMM kit you only really have to remove the Intake assembly (which is not needed with a supercharger anyway) and move the power steering reservoir. Both fairly easy things to do.
Guess it could be worth trying for the fairly low cost of the bracket and idler assembly, but you would still need some way to run the belt (rmm uses a custom power steering pulley) That was another one of the complicated and expensive things to do.
It can be done and dont be discouraged, I almost gave up a few times. But I did get it done and installed. It was awesome while I had it on.

I got rid of it because I decided to sell the car and move on to another platform...(AMG)
Funny thing is I havent sold the car or purchased an AMG yet. Though I really will be doing it soon. Though I think I might stay in the GS fam but this time I would get a 300. I want to have a 2jz instead of the V8. The V8 is just too limited for me when it comes to boosting.

Feel free to ask me any questions while trying to piece together your kit. I could install one of the RMM kits with my eyes closed now.
Old 01-06-14, 03:58 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree with most of what was stated in this thread so far. FYI, I hung with an '09 Charger SRT8 with my 282whp NA GS400...it's not just the bolt-on power adders that helped it was the steeper Supra rear gears and some other things that helped. The guy couldn't believe it...up to 110mph or so.
Old 01-06-14, 04:01 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Even at low boost 320whp you should be able to take some SRT models as they are very heavy cars. Their trannies were as slow and sloppy as ours but I have a feeling that they have gotten much better (quicker shifting) in the newer models.

Cannot wait to throw my SC setup on.
Old 01-06-14, 05:52 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Agree with most of what was stated in this thread so far. FYI, I hung with an '09 Charger SRT8 with my 282whp NA GS400...it's not just the bolt-on power adders that helped it was the steeper Supra rear gears and some other things that helped. The guy couldn't believe it...up to 110mph or so.
I've wanted to do the Supra LSD swap, but considering I'll be in Germany next year, it doesn't make sense for me to sacrifice the top end... you haven't done a top end run since the swap, have you? Curious to find out what the new top speed is with the gearing swap (just in case ).
Old 01-06-14, 06:55 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

I hadn't really looked into the lextreme bracket until now. Everything I was telling you was based on the RMM kit which is what I had and has been a successful mod for some time now.
As for the lextreme kit, first of all based on the pictures I saw on their website, the supercharger would have to sit on the opposite side of the engine as the RMM kit does. So i'm sure there would be quite a few things you would have to move around in the engine bay....ECU, etc (i'm sure it would be fun to reroute the ecu with all of those wires) Also I am yet to see a 2nd gen GS400/430 using a lextreme bracket to run a supercharger.
With the RMM kit you only really have to remove the Intake assembly (which is not needed with a supercharger anyway) and move the power steering reservoir. Both fairly easy things to do.
Guess it could be worth trying for the fairly low cost of the bracket and idler assembly, but you would still need some way to run the belt (rmm uses a custom power steering pulley) That was another one of the complicated and expensive things to do.
It can be done and dont be discouraged, I almost gave up a few times. But I did get it done and installed. It was awesome while I had it on.

I got rid of it because I decided to sell the car and move on to another platform...(AMG)
Funny thing is I havent sold the car or purchased an AMG yet. Though I really will be doing it soon. Though I think I might stay in the GS fam but this time I would get a 300. I want to have a 2jz instead of the V8. The V8 is just too limited for me when it comes to boosting.

Feel free to ask me any questions while trying to piece together your kit. I could install one of the RMM kits with my eyes closed now.
will do, but im pretty sure with your posts on this thread and the info other members have given me i think i can figure it out. With my luck tho something might go wrong so keep an eye out for my PM lol.

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Yesss. did some runs with my friends jeep srt8 and after 60 he wasnt pulling on me to hard. He did beat me, pretty bad. But i think if it wasnt all wheel drive the outcome wouldnt have been as bad as it was not to mention he had a predator tune. I could see yours hanging with an srt8 and makes me believe a boosted gs even on low boost would keep up or even beat one.
Old 01-06-14, 08:01 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I've wanted to do the Supra LSD swap, but considering I'll be in Germany next year, it doesn't make sense for me to sacrifice the top end... you haven't done a top end run since the swap, have you? Curious to find out what the new top speed is with the gearing swap (just in case ).
The new top speed is mechanically limited at around 132mph versus the stock electronically limited 145mph. Many people keep the stock gearing when they go forced induction because power comes on so quick and the steeper gears would make you rip through the lower gears too fast where you could bounce off the rev limiter if you don't keep a close eye on it. I will be the guinea pig and leave my gearing in when I do the SC...it will be a beast low end and mid range with still a strong top end.

Quick Reply: Tuner for GS400/430??