Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2UZ-FE swap into a GS400

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 02:36 PM
Dirtybrd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2UZ-FE swap into a GS400

Anyone done it or know of anyone who has?
Old 10-11-12, 07:13 PM
kdick91
Driver

http://www.lextreme.com/2uzfe_block_swap.html
This should answer about 90% of your questions if you're interested. As far as anyone doing it, I have yet to hear of such a thing. The question begs though, why??
Old 10-11-12, 07:25 PM
Dirtybrd
Rookie

I've been on there. He's refering to swapping the non VVti 4.0 heads onto the 4.7 block. I'm wondering about swapping long block for long block. Why you ask, simple cubic inchs. On the non VVti engine swap you will gain +/-60hp and 75tq of torque. So I'm assuming the power increase would be even more with a VVti motor. I'm guessing the tune and timing of the VVti in the GS is the reason that the smaller motor makes more power and almost equal torque as the truck 4.7. The GS motor is 300hp/310tq and the truck motor is 217hp/315tq. A car will normally have more HP than TQ and a truck the opposite. So more cubic inches mean more power, no drivabilty issues, no lag, no tuning issues, stock reliability etc. I have access to a good used 4.7 for $500, then only real other expense is the mounts and misc. I've been an auto tech for almost 20yrs, with about 8 of those being for Toyota, so I'm familiar with the cars and it should be a weekend swap.

Last edited by Dirtybrd; 10-11-12 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-11-12, 07:36 PM
kdick91
Driver

In that article he actually talks about swapping in a 2UZ in place of a 1UZ (which is why he advertises his motor mounts and tell what you need to get the oil pan to mount up). The 2UZ has weaker rods and (IIRC) the pistons have much thinner ringlands. As far as reliable, lag-less, drivable deal, the 1UZ is a much better candidate for a supercharger. Just the cost of building a 2UZ is through the roof. Also, in the conversion, you have to switch to solid motor mounts. I have poly's in my Trans Am with a stock head/cam and every that really takes away from the 'luxury' feel of things. With solids in a Lexus, it'd shake your teeth out. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of new stuff, and if you wanna do it, get after it! But for the cost of things and long-term power potential, the 1/3UZ is a much better idea IMO. When you get in to higher power numbers, the VVTi heads make less and less of a difference (at least from what my 2JZ-building colleagues have told me). Also, despite what the article says, I'd take anything over 2-bolt mains. ESPECIALLY those sexy 1UZ 6 bolt cross mains.... Mmmm... Like I said, if you want to do it, power to you, and I'd love to help in any way. Just it doesn't seem super practical. Especially getting all the electronics to interface with each other. Specifically getting fueling and spark down... Who knows though, I've been proven wrong before and it can happen again!
Old 10-11-12, 07:58 PM
Dirtybrd
Rookie

Yeah, I currently have a 97 LS400 and was considering doing the 4.7 swap into this car. But 'Ive always wanted a GS so I was just thinking about doing that instead. Yes, build any UZ motor does get costly, this is why I want to use a stock motor, just more cubes. The electronics wouldn't be an issue, they're the same motor other than size and the 4.7 is cast iron. No, I wasn't aware of having to goto solid mounts which is a huge deterent to the entire thing. BTW the 2 bolt 4.7 block will hold over 1000hp.