Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

breaking up on high boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 07:35 AM
2jzgttegs
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default breaking up on high boost

My car breaks up at 25-26psi and up but from 18-23psi it doesnt breaks up. I think its the gap on the plugs, right now my plugs are gapped at .19 BKR8EIX.

What are you guys running? Plugs and gaps specs...
Old 09-24-12, 07:49 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

What are your afr's when it's happening? .19 seems a bit tight for an iridium?

Have you ever ran coppers in comparison in how it reacts?

DLI or no DLI?
Old 09-24-12, 08:07 AM
2jzgttegs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
What are your afr's when it's happening? .19 seems a bit tight for an iridium?

Have you ever ran coppers in comparison in how it reacts?

DLI or no DLI?
Im running E85 mostly but I could drive on gas also (ProEfi). I tried gapping them to .22-.28 and the break up gets worse. I never tried coppers but I thought about using them. AFR's don't know. I would have to hook up my laptop and log a couple runs
Old 09-24-12, 08:12 AM
2jzgttegs
Pole Position

No DLI... Just stock GTE VVT-i system
Old 09-24-12, 09:10 AM
2jzgttegs
Pole Position

I re-gapped my plugs to .17 & problem fixed.
Old 09-24-12, 11:08 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2jzgttegs
I re-gapped my plugs to .17 & problem fixed.
Seems tight, 26psi quite a bit but wouldn't think it blow out at .19 but I'm not sure of the effects on E85 if any.

Glad you got it fixed! No go drive the **** out if it
Old 09-24-12, 12:33 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have to gap them that low then you must need a new set of coils specially if you are running the 128box!

I wouldn't run anything lower than .035 on my car on aem v1 with gmc denali coils (aka) LQ9 coils same coils Jason at Proefi sells as Proefi smart coils good for 2000hp.

You may wanna try them , Your ECu is better than mine so if i can run 24 psi on those coils at .044 gap , I am sure they will perform great on your car!

I think gapping your plugs ar .17 is just a band aid .

I am on E85 full time, and e85 does kill the plugs faster specially if you DD the car and alot of stop and go.
Old 09-24-12, 07:57 PM
2jzgttegs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
If you have to gap them that low then you must need a new set of coils specially if you are running the 128box!

I wouldn't run anything lower than .035 on my car on aem v1 with gmc denali coils (aka) LQ9 coils same coils Jason at Proefi sells as Proefi smart coils good for 2000hp.

You may wanna try them , Your ECu is better than mine so if i can run 24 psi on those coils at .044 gap , I am sure they will perform great on your car!

I think gapping your plugs ar .17 is just a band aid .

I am on E85 full time, and e85 does kill the plugs faster specially if you DD the car and alot of stop and go.
I might need to change my Plugs then
Old 09-28-12, 03:12 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

any updates?!
Old 09-29-12, 10:04 AM
2jzgttegs
Pole Position

any updates?!
My car is still running good at .17 gap on the spark plugs. By the way the vvti motor only has three coils so I wouldn't be able to run the LQ9 coils on this setup. If it was a supra engine that's non vvti I could.
Old 09-29-12, 10:37 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

You can run any Coils you want, I ran vvti coils on my car before i upgraded to the lq9s , btw i am na-t with the ems you can run any coils you like.

For example you are on the 128 box , remember the 128 box is universal , it will work on lambos, vipers, vettes, mustangs, G35, R35 anything..only difference is the map that's loaded on the ecu , ignition map.

so you can run what ever coils you like, Talk to errol at TPS you knows about the gm coils .

Your ignition system is weak if you have to gap your plugs to .017 to get it run great and not break up. It sounds like you need some new coils .

If i can run .035 on my aem and run whatever coils i want, i don't see why you can't do the same , and even better you got the One of the best EMS out there hands down!

http://www.theboostlab.com/store/pro...tion-Coil.html

This is a post for Larry at SP when i was going with the Proefi
Originally Posted by Sound Performance
What are your plans for crank and cam sensors?? Right now the distributor acts as both. They are built into the lower part of the distributor. You can remove the cap, rotor and of course plug wires but with any ECU you will still need the lower half to supply your crank and cam signals. ProEFI has killer smart coils that would work for you, or you can use stock TT ones or even the VVTi ones but remember that if they are not smart coils you will need an igniter .
Old 09-29-12, 03:04 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Even on the VVTI stock ecu and igniter you can run individual coils no problem.

I've seen it done two different ways with a single igniter and dual igniters. You are still running it in wasted spark mode, but using 6 coils. I've seen it done with both non-vvti coils and LSx coils.

The VVTI packs and wasted spark mode are still very strong and if new or still in good condition they can handle veryhigh hp engines..

And a DLI or Sun X-Power on the stock vvti coils/igniter should get you plenty of ignition even at very high boost and power levels.
Old 09-29-12, 04:04 PM
2jzgttegs
Pole Position

You can run any Coils you want, I ran vvti coils on my car before i upgraded to the lq9s , btw i am na-t with the ems you can run any coils you like.

For example you are on the 128 box , remember the 128 box is universal , it will work on lambos, vipers, vettes, mustangs, G35, R35 anything..only difference is the map that's loaded on the ecu , ignition map.

so you can run what ever coils you like, Talk to errol at TPS you knows about the gm coils .

Your ignition system is weak if you have to gap your plugs to .017 to get it run great and not break up. It sounds like you need some new coils .

If i can run .035 on my aem and run whatever coils i want, i don't see why you can't do the same , and even better you got the One of the best EMS out there hands down!

TPS did my Proefi setup and I do know Errol personally (good guy) and my car had the TT supra coil setup and 6 channel igniter but it wasnt working out for me. One or two of the coils must have been bad so Errol went with the vvti ignition setup. And by the way Errol is running smart coils on his supra and he has the same gap as me & he could open it up more of course but thats were his is set... And I know his ignition system is stronger than mines.
Old 09-29-12, 04:06 PM
2jzgttegs
Pole Position

And your right you could run any coils... And I also have brand new crank & cam sensors
Old 09-29-12, 04:33 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Well for your power goal and the type of power you are making you don't need to run .017 gap.

Ask Errol what he thinks about about the LQ9 coils, they are a couple guys that i meet running these coils at 2000hp on there boats, 2jz powered land cruiser, nissan patrol , and 1100rwhp supras not gapping to their plugs .017.

for 700whp if you have to gap your plugs to 17 , running a proefi there must be some week Coils.

Talk to Errol he knows his stuff! i like him very knowledgeable guy and always willing to share.

Quick Reply: breaking up on high boost