Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ-GTE head on GE block???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 10:30 AM
2k2IS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2JZ-GTE head on GE block???

I have a 2002 IS 5 speed. I have low compression on cylinders #5 and #6. I dont want to do head work on the stock GE head. Does anybody know where i can find just a 2JZ-GTE head? I do not want the hole motor. The car is being built for drifting so I dont need to build a 1000hp monster. Just looking for about 350 to the wheels which the stock GE internals should be able to handle with ease.
Old 08-24-12, 11:42 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

I think for the price of a GTE head and everything that goes with it... intake/exh manifold, turbos... etc... you might as well just buy a complete motor.

EDIT... and if you're only looking for 350, might as well stick with the GE motor. It'll be less of a headache.
Old 08-24-12, 02:30 PM
2k2IS300
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by romycha1
I think for the price of a GTE head and everything that goes with it... intake/exh manifold, turbos... etc... you might as well just buy a complete motor.

EDIT... and if you're only looking for 350, might as well stick with the GE motor. It'll be less of a headache.

You think it would be cheaper just to find a full GTE swap rather than a complete head?

Remember I already have the Trans so I just need the motor.
Old 08-24-12, 02:37 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Well, not cheaper... I guess I could've worded that better.. But I don't think you're going to find a complete head easily... And by complete, I mean EVERYTHING above the head gasket... and then you still have to deal with wiring and whatnot.
I've only seen a couple GTE heads (bare) for sale on different forums, and they usually went for around ~$500 I think. That doesn't include everything else you need.
And I think you can find GTE motors starting at $1500 on up...

But again, if you're only looking for 350hp, just build the GE motor... seriously. It'd be cheaper to get a used GE block and go NA-t
Old 08-24-12, 05:49 PM
2k2IS300
Driver School Candidate

Well, not cheaper... I guess I could've worded that better.. But I don't think you're going to find a complete head easily... And by complete, I mean EVERYTHING above the head gasket... and then you still have to deal with wiring and whatnot.
I've only seen a couple GTE heads (bare) for sale on different forums, and they usually went for around ~$500 I think. That doesn't include everything else you need.
And I think you can find GTE motors starting at $1500 on up...

But again, if you're only looking for 350hp, just build the GE motor... seriously. It'd be cheaper to get a used GE block and go NA-t
from everything that i have been looking at. it seems that going na-t is almost as expensive as just doing a full swap. I may just go ahead with the full swap i guess. is the stock w55 5 spd trans strong enough to hold up to a built GTE?
Old 08-24-12, 06:01 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

No, the w55 is not strong enough... and yes, going NA-t will probably cost as much as a full swap... I don't know why I keep using the word "cheaper". ..
Either way, full swap or NA-t, I think it's easier than trying to do just do a GTE head swap.
Old 08-24-12, 07:35 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm confused... you have low compression and you want to replace the head? the least likely cause of low compression, or have we condemned the head at this point?

Why would you want a GTE head over a GE head anyways? the GE head flows better stock and either one in stock form are good for more than 1000 hp...

The W55 transmission will only hold up to 300-350 hp, depending on how hard you are on it, time to swap for an R154 or similar...

Having done both, I can honestly say I would rather build a GE motor and turbo it, than try to jack with the wiring and such on a GTE swap... especially considering you can build it the way you want, turbo it the way you want, etc...

I would not trust the stock GE internals at 350 hp for a long long time... they are weak as can be and rely on perfect, dead on, conservative tuning to survive... Reality is, you can build a GE short block with GTE internals for cheap, throw your GE head on there and good to go... add a turbo kit and now you are the right way to do NA-T....
Old 08-24-12, 07:42 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

I thought the GTE head flows very well???
Old 08-24-12, 07:51 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I thought the GTE head flows very well???
of course it does, but the GE head flows better, well, at least a little, looking at the numbers... they are very very similar, and either one is good for 1000+hp, and its been said that porting a GE or GTE head really only pays off after 700-800 whp...
Old 08-24-12, 07:54 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

^^^ Yes, I've heard that about the porting.... interesting though, I didn't know the GE head flowed better (even if a little) than the GTE.
Old 08-25-12, 02:12 AM
d7620
Pole Position

learn a lil something new everyday...
Old 08-25-12, 08:15 AM
FOOBER2
Rookie

I believe the SRT IS300 is running the GE head in the low 8s.
Old 08-25-12, 03:07 PM
mpecilunas
Driver School Candidate

the ge head really only flows better because of it long intake runner. Its not really the head itself, but more the intake manifold setup. but honestly I prefer FFIM over the ge intake. Also I believe the main reason SRT uses the GE head is because they sell a FFIM for it. Either way is good.
Old 08-25-12, 06:04 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by mpecilunas
the ge head really only flows better because of it long intake runner. Its not really the head itself, but more the intake manifold setup. but honestly I prefer FFIM over the ge intake. Also I believe the main reason SRT uses the GE head is because they sell a FFIM for it. Either way is good.
heads are flow tested sans intake manifold...

any flow testing numbers will not depend on the intake manifold, as it is not even hooked up to the head...
Old 08-26-12, 07:40 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will confirm for you guys that the GE Head is the 1 you want and does Flow much better, this is why most Super guys use our head. And no it is not cheaper to drop in a foreign motor Into your car.

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GTE head on GE block???