Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz get vvti swap maf sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 12:08 PM
GSVIP300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz get vvti swap maf sensor problem

So I just got my 2jzgte swap done on my 2000 gs300. I was driving it away from the exhaust shop and it ran fine. Then the car just dies in the middle of the road. I have the correct jzs161 mass air flow sensor on the car. It ran and idled with the maf disconnected but can barely rev before dying down. As soon as you plug in the maf it dies. However The car only ran with the maf sensor if i cupped my hand over it a little and restricted the air. So thinking it was just the maf I bought a brand new jzs161 maf online. Now the car does the same exact thing as before. I'm thinking it is a bad connection to the maf sensor. Does anyone know what this may be. How to test this and what numbers to look for? Does anyone have a pinout for the Jdm maf and can tell me where the wires go to?
Old 08-20-12, 09:52 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSVIP300
So I just got my 2jzgte swap done on my 2000 gs300. I was driving it away from the exhaust shop and it ran fine. Then the car just dies in the middle of the road. I have the correct jzs161 mass air flow sensor on the car. It ran and idled with the maf disconnected but can barely rev before dying down. As soon as you plug in the maf it dies. However The car only ran with the maf sensor if i cupped my hand over it a little and restricted the air. So thinking it was just the maf I bought a brand new jzs161 maf online. Now the car does the same exact thing as before. I'm thinking it is a bad connection to the maf sensor. Does anyone know what this may be. How to test this and what numbers to look for? Does anyone have a pinout for the Jdm maf and can tell me where the wires go to?
What air box are you using? The stock JZS160 or the JZS161?
Old 08-22-12, 09:30 AM
GSVIP300
Driver School Candidate

Not using an airbox just an intake setup with a cone filter
Old 08-22-12, 02:22 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Not using an airbox just an intake setup with a cone filter
Ok, how wide is the intake piping? It needs to be a certain diameter in order for it to read properly. I believe it is 3 in's. The Aristo stock airbox pipe is a little bit bigger than the stock GS300 pipe. Or are you using an after market pipe that may not have a big enough diameter?
Old 08-23-12, 11:52 PM
GSVIP300
Driver School Candidate

Yes it is three inches along with the maf housing. Checked all the connections to maf on the sensor and the ecu . They were all good .Checked the map sensor and the valve on the intake manifold with the hose running to it was a little clogged so I cleaned that. Cleaned the map sensor and still nothing. The car is just sucking in a lot more air than it should.
Old 08-24-12, 02:58 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Yes it is three inches along with the maf housing. Checked all the connections to maf on the sensor and the ecu . They were all good .Checked the map sensor and the valve on the intake manifold with the hose running to it was a little clogged so I cleaned that. Cleaned the map sensor and still nothing. The car is just sucking in a lot more air than it should.
The 2nd Gen Aristo engine has no MAP sensor. What I have been taught to do with issues like this is to start off with the basic's. Start off with checking for vac leaks. I had a similar issue as yu are having and my IC coupler under the passenger head light was not tightened all the way. Go over all of the IC couplers and make sure they are on all the way and the clamps are tight! Check your coil packs, check your ignitor as well. The GE ignitor is the same as the GTE. So if you still have your old one swap it out and see if that does anything. Do you have the stock JZS161 air box? If you do you should install that and see if it makes a difference. Wish I could help you more but like I said my issue was a vac leak.
Old 08-24-12, 10:50 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The VVTI GTE does have a map sensor, it is mounted on the side of the intake manifold, but it doesn't effect the way the engine runs, it's just for boost cut.

OP do you have any installation pics you can post up? I've done the stock twins gte swap before using a typical 3" na intake pipe and cone filter installed pull-thru and it ran fine.
Old 08-26-12, 03:54 AM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
The VVTI GTE does have a map sensor, it is mounted on the side of the intake manifold, but it doesn't effect the way the engine runs, it's just for boost cut.

OP do you have any installation pics you can post up? I've done the stock twins gte swap before using a typical 3" na intake pipe and cone filter installed pull-thru and it ran fine.
I have mIne set up on a n/a 3in pipe as well. So that's not a Maf sensor?
Old 08-26-12, 10:01 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300LUV
I have mIne set up on a n/a 3in pipe as well. So that's not a Maf sensor?
The VVTI GTE has both a maf sensor and a map sensor. But the map sensor isn't used to run the engine like a non-vvti GTE does, it just enacts the boost cut function.

The maf in the intake is a standard maf like any other, the GTE is just calculated for 3" and the GE for 2.75"..
Old 01-05-21, 10:51 PM
98gtegs300
Driver School Candidate

Default Same issues

im also having the same issues were you able to figure out
Old 01-05-21, 10:52 PM
98gtegs300
Driver School Candidate

Default Same issues

im also having the same issues were you able to figure out
what’s solved the problem