Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Shifting with paddle shifters/sports shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-12, 03:58 PM
GiGAS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting with paddle shifters/sports shift

i read somewhere in the manual saying that i shouldnt leave the foot on the gas while shifting (I THINK). is this true or can i just leave my foot on the peddle and shift as i please?
Old 07-14-12, 04:01 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

The paddles aren't shifters.
Old 07-14-12, 04:48 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

You should just leave your foot on the gas and in D. It isnt a true manual shifter.
Old 07-14-12, 08:37 PM
GiGAS
Rookie

what do you guys mean? it isnt a real shifter? the gears move when i tap them
Old 07-14-12, 08:45 PM
GiGAS
Rookie

also i have a question about the speedometer. lets say my car is suspended in the air. if i gas it, will the speedometer move at all? i know the rpm meter will move accordingly but im not sure about the speedometer. does the speedometer depend on resistance in order to calculate speed?
Old 07-14-12, 08:48 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GiGAS
what do you guys mean? it isnt a real shifter? the gears move when i tap them
It's a top gear limiter, not a shifter. If you're rolling along in 6th gear and downshift with the paddle, yes, it will move to 5th, 4th, 3rd, and so on. But if you're doing 20mph and try to shift into 4th or 5th gear, it will stay in 2nd or 3rd until you reach a high enough speed to justify not stalling out the engine. Not an actual shifter - top gear limiter. Also, it's slow as heck shifting using the paddles so don't bother. Oh, and no need to worry about letting off the gas, the computer takes care of all that.
Old 07-14-12, 09:24 PM
GiGAS
Rookie

ohh thanks for the clarification. it doesnt seem slow to me. maybe they might have made it quicker in the 2012 version? not sure but every time i shift it jumps to the next gear in a beat
Old 07-15-12, 02:58 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

^^^^ you must haven't driven a car with a real egear or smg or pdk... Totally different experience . I have a car with a egear system and you control the shifting the car does the clutch and gas. But it won't auto shift for you if you are in the wrong rpm fir a gear. It will stall just like a standard manual car.
Old 07-15-12, 05:15 AM
Heckler
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trust me the shifts are slow. You will really notice in low gears where you are in the higher RPMs quickly you want a firm fast shift. It's not there. Does not mean you can't have fun with it. I use it on occasion to drop gears or hold a gear but on acceleration I always let the car do the shifting.

Last edited by Heckler; 07-15-12 at 05:16 AM. Reason: fix
Old 07-15-12, 11:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ohh thanks for the clarification. it doesnt seem slow to me. maybe they might have made it quicker in the 2012 version? not sure but every time i shift it jumps to the next gear in a beat
you don't shift it. Ever. That's the point.

The paddles aren't shifters.

If you're in drive. going 10 mph, in say 2nd gear, and put it in S-4, you're still in 2nd gear. Eventually as you speed up the car will automatically shift to 3, then 4, and stop there because your top gear limit is now set to 4. You never shifted it.

If you're in drive going 60, you're almost certainly in 6th... if you now move to S-4 you have told the fully automatic transmission it's no longer allowed to use 5 and 6, so it will automatically shift to 4.

If you then paddle down to 3 you're not shifting to 3, because the paddles aren't shifters. You're simply locked out 4th gear in addition to 5 and 6, and your car will then realize it's not allowed to be in the gear it's in, and then automatically shift to 3.

You never shift it. Ever.

Go test drive an IS-F in manual mode, you'll see a night and day difference as it actually has real paddle shifters that are lightning fast shifts, compared to the fully automatic ones you can sometimes convince the fully automatic transmission in the ISx50 to do. Further if you put the IS-F in say M-3, it's in 3rd. Period. It won't ever shift on its own. Put the ISx50 in S-3 and it remains a fully automatic transmission using gears 1, 2, and 3 as it feels is appropriate.
Old 07-15-12, 03:10 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in this "semi-automatic manual mode" when you use the paddles, you're setting off a command to the computer to limit the gears to the specific gear you picked
Old 07-15-12, 03:14 PM
GiGAS
Rookie

thanks guys i think i understand it now! could anyone answer the speedometer question though?
Old 07-16-12, 07:13 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

thanks guys i think i understand it now! could anyone answer the speedometer question though?
I believe it's tire speed. Specifically the rear tires. If you spin the tires, your speedo goes up in relation to the speed of the tires, not your actual speed in relation to the road. In other words, you could be doing 60mph on your speedo and not going anywhere.
Old 07-17-12, 11:50 AM
eddiekay
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ISF has REAL paddle shifts?!?!
Old 07-17-12, 11:54 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
Yes, there are posts about it.

Quick Reply: Shifting with paddle shifters/sports shift