Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS350 Revision S/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 07:08 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default IS350 Revision S/C

*More crappy iPhone pics on Page 2*

**5,000 mile update, 1st post on page 4..You'll want to see this!**

***Never content. Switching to a ROTREX blower.
New fabrication design in the works. 7/17/12.
Page 6, post 85***

**** New build from the ground up. Rotrex c38-71
3/3/13. Page 7 ****

Nothing new, just another supercharger on a car thats not meant to be fast. Thats not entirely accurate in that this isnt a "kit" S/C build and the IS350 is kind of sort of fast at 5.5 - 7 psi! Respect to the guys who have ventured down this path but its time to add more names to the list. I've come from a long history of car A.D.D. and customization on various platforms. I have in my possession a 2006 IS350 that I've decided to tear into and make my own at the cost of some blood, sweat and $.

The fact is these cars are becoming more and more affordable as the years and miles add up. At some point, we are bound to see more tuners finding themselves in this car and wanting to achieve more power and "fun" factor if you will. For me, its not about $ per $ gain, all out speed, etc.; its about enjoying the car and wanting just a bit more power from it with all the reliability Toyota intended. Having said that I'm sure the hating will surface but too bad, I'm doing what I want because I can.

Goal is simple; I really dont have an end goal... My one stipulation is that the car will remain 100% factory in terms of all accessory function, no CELs and complete drivibility in all aspects. I have started out with a centrifugal supercharger originally badged as a C1 Procharger. I've overhauled the blower with ceramic bearings, new flange, seals and blasted gear/shaft. These little blowers are actually quite nice but not so much at the price tag ATI wants to sell them at...more on that later.

Any way, I started out by observing the car's behavior on 5 lbs of boost just like LMS did some time ago. I've made several adjustments in terms of pulley sizing and of course meth/water injection. I'm also running a larger FMIC and other piping tweaks. It was quite a struggle to bridge the gap from 5.5 psi to 7psi but I have it figured out and the car is exactly where I want it as far as feel and butt dyno. The stock ECU in one word is amazing. This car handles 7lbs of boost like it came that way from the factory. The stock ecu does everything right in terms of compensating for the added air. The only thing its overly sensitive with (and this is a good thing for most) is knock....knock detection is spot on and the ecu completely cuts to prevent damages. Too much of anything and you will knock!!

For the time being, above is my intro. I'll let the updates and pictures do the talking in the very near future. I'm crunched for time with work and family but I have a lot of pics to share. Also have a few other ideas that will prove out right or wrong in which I'll share as I encounter.

For now heres some blower work. This is a C2 Supercharger I acquired prior to my C1 that needed over haul.

Necessary tools include a bearing puller/seperator and *ton press. Theres no way in hell you can complete this without a press.

Inside of a C2 with bad bearings...it "looks" fine...

But wait, arent there supposed to be ball bearings inside of this cage? Its a bearing with a flange with a bearing inside,,but no *****! LOL

More missing *****!
New bearings on top-

All new bearings and seals straight from the source. Dont pay marked up prices from "Rebuilders" as these parts are easy to locate if you know what to search for!

Pressing on fresh ABEC-7 bearings

All new bearings installed and gears properly cleaned!

New viton CR seal vs inferior nitrile-

Random pics as I started digging into the various pieces parts of the install:

Oil catch can needing modified for giant sized hose our motors use

FMIC mounting mock up

Synapse BOV tucks nicely

Assortment of billet spacers I had cnc'd by my machinist

Which coolingmist tank can I fit in the engine bay!? I ended up with a 4qt. (not pictured)

Major milestone***S/C mounting bracket final alignment with spacers and studs-

And oh yes look at that perfect alignment of pulleys!

Plenty more pics and info. to come! Stay tuned

*More crappy iPhone pics on Page 2*

Last edited by mikellucci; 03-03-13 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bestochkin (10-11-18)
Old 04-19-12, 07:13 AM
Quik208
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thread. Can't wait to see more!!
Old 04-19-12, 07:17 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

subscribed

this is gonna be sick!
Old 04-19-12, 07:27 AM
Heckler
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing, I like where this is going.
Old 04-19-12, 08:08 AM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want one so bad!
Old 04-19-12, 08:10 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

subscribed x2
Old 04-19-12, 08:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What kind of A/F ratios are you seeing on the stock ECU at 7 psi?

from what I've read everyone who tried going north of 6 psi ran pretty lean at that boost without any 3rd party ECU piggybacking (MAPECU3 or HKS F-con)

And of course... before/after Dyno plz?
Old 04-19-12, 10:12 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
What kind of A/F ratios are you seeing on the stock ECU at 7 psi?

from what I've read everyone who tried going north of 6 psi ran pretty lean at that boost without any 3rd party ECU piggybacking (MAPECU3 or HKS F-con)

And of course... before/after Dyno plz?
Thanks guys

I havent concluded with my observations but out of the gate I saw A/F similar to Elias on his IS250 when it was only on the stock ECU. 12.xx inconsistantly would pop up under WOT but it seems the stock ecu has adjusted perhaps in combination with a 380cc size meth nozzle beginning to spray around 3psi. I wont truly know the numbers until a thoro dyno can be done but I see 11.3 fairly consistant WOT for a nice pull. I'm still hesitant to WOT for long durations in fear of a jump in A/F though...I did knock and shutdown quite a few times in the early stages.

Where I'm hung up with the dyno is wanting to get both numbers with a "stock" sized crank pulley and my modified larger crank pulley. I run the stock sized pulley with a 2.35 S/C pulley and achieve 7 psi but noticable belt slip. I run a hair larger crank pulley with a 2.55 S/C pulley and smallest size Gates belt and all is well....EXCEPT I believe the WHP would calculate to be lesser. Despite seeing more boost because you are spinning faster, everything is spinning faster requiring more energy. So in theory that 1.5 lbs of boost from a smaller supercharger pulley might net 15 whp but that same 1.5 lbs from a larger crank pulley might only net 8HP because of all the energy it takes to spin faster. Not sure and not sure its even worth it.

I wont find out for sure until I hit the dyno but this wont be for some time as I'm doing some brake upgrades now and working way too much in the office.
Old 04-19-12, 10:37 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Thanks guys

I havent concluded with my observations but out of the gate I saw A/F similar to Elias on his IS250 when it was only on the stock ECU. 12.xx inconsistantly would pop up under WOT but it seems the stock ecu has adjusted perhaps in combination with a 380cc size meth nozzle beginning to spray around 3psi. I wont truly know the numbers until a thoro dyno can be done but I see 11.3 fairly consistant WOT for a nice pull. I'm still hesitant to WOT for long durations in fear of a jump in A/F though...I did knock and shutdown quite a few times in the early stages.

Where I'm hung up with the dyno is wanting to get both numbers with a "stock" sized crank pulley and my modified larger crank pulley. I run the stock sized pulley with a 2.35 S/C pulley and achieve 7 psi but noticable belt slip. I run a hair larger crank pulley with a 2.55 S/C pulley and smallest size Gates belt and all is well....EXCEPT I believe the WHP would calculate to be lesser. Despite seeing more boost because you are spinning faster, everything is spinning faster requiring more energy. So in theory that 1.5 lbs of boost from a smaller supercharger pulley might net 15 whp but that same 1.5 lbs from a larger crank pulley might only net 8HP because of all the energy it takes to spin faster. Not sure and not sure its even worth it.

I wont find out for sure until I hit the dyno but this wont be for some time as I'm doing some brake upgrades now and working way too much in the office.

So I take it you've achieved the bang/buck ratio you were going for? If you could boost more would you? Any plans to free up those upper RPMS?
Old 04-19-12, 10:47 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

this is interesting. keeping an eye on this...
Old 04-19-12, 11:29 AM
IS250TW
Lead Lap

Subscribed!
Very interesting in this
Old 04-19-12, 02:31 PM
lazysob
Rookie

Very Interesting thread mikellucci! Cant wait to see the end result!
Old 04-19-12, 03:49 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

good stuff mike.. i hope it all works out as planned..
Old 04-19-12, 03:54 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nice job so far!!!
Old 04-19-12, 06:26 PM
xMrfreezex
Driver School Candidate

Nice little build you have going on, Eager to see the end results.

Quick Reply: IS350 Revision S/C