Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS350 Intake & Exhaust 1/4 Mile Improvements / Compared to a B7 S4.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 12:59 PM
P Rock
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Intake & Exhaust 1/4 Mile Improvements / Compared to a B7 S4.

Most posts regarding these mods mention the increased sounds and also mention the very minimal gains.

On the flipside though, when I research 1/4 mile improvements of 350's equipped with intake & exhaust, I'm seeing a lot of cars in the low 13's. For such a minimal gain in HP/TQ, is getting into the low 13's that realistic?

I was looking at getting rid of my daily driver IS250 for a B7 S4 (V8), simply for something a little more exciting to drive daily. But now that I see the IS350's are capable of S4 acceleration without the crappy S4 gas mileage and reliability, I'm now also considering an IS350.

Your thoughts on IS350's performance with those mods? What are your real world improvements? No butt-dyno, actual dyno gains and/or 1/4 mile results.

If S4 acceleration is truly realistic with intake & exhaust then I'd love to have the better gas mileage and reliability of the 350 versus the S4. Only thing the S4 will have over the 350 would be the 6-speed manual but reliability & gas mileage would trump that.
Old 02-22-12, 01:40 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The IS350 can run low 13s bone stock (and often does, especially in cold weather)... more like mid 13 in warm weather.

Intake and exhaust won't make a huge difference, but they don't need to if low 13s is your goal.

Here's a list of stock 1/4 mile drag times for the 350-
http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes

Now here's all of (including modded)
http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes

You'll note the few times faster than the fastest stock one (13.228) are only .1-.2 faster, with one exception, a 12.844 run...this was done in 35 degree weather with these mods:
JoeZ pipe (OEM Airfilter)
Tanabe exhaust
Custom mid-pipe
Michelin PS2 tires in the front at 50 psi
Kumho 245/35/18 tires in the rear at 32 psi
Eibach springs

Notice no headers- because this was before they existed for the 2IS.

Anyway, in short, get the 350.

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-22-12 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-22-12, 01:58 PM
P Rock
Driver

Kurtz,
Always good knowledge from you. I guess I never knew the potential....always saw the magazines get high 13's-mid 14's out of them.
I'm surprised the IS350's don't get as much buzz as the Audi S cars, AMG's or M cars do. Sounds like those numbers are very respectable in comparison to the other cars in it's class and some even above it's class.
Old 02-22-12, 03:49 PM
Kingdavid
Driver

Notice the Bone stock is350 has the highest WHP and Torque? Yet somehow falls behind in the quarter mile (if just barely). Whats going on there? F-sport parts aren't so significantly lighter than stock parts to a sport model that much of an edge over stock are they? I Do you think its because the F-sport parts give you that much of a better launch?

The audi S cars are a damn joke if you ask me. The closest thing to paying thousands for a sport emblem as you can get. I suppose when you're the "Non-a$$hole alternative to a BMW" you can sit on your a$$ and let your name do the work. But in EVERY comparison I've ever read BMW, enz and yes, Lexus stomp All over Audi when it comes to rubber-on-the-road performance.
Don't get an Audi man, it's all the headache of German cars without the benefit of an M3 or anthing with an AMG. If you want REAL bang for your buck get an 08 is-F for $30,000! By far the best value if you ask me.

Correction. If you REALLY want bang-4-buck get an infinity g37 haha. The VQ platform is putting out 500+ hp with bolt ons at this point and the luxury amenities inside are JJjuuuusst short of the Lexus Level but for 20K who cares?

Last edited by Kingdavid; 02-22-12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-22-12, 04:04 PM
yoegster
Driver

The gains are minimal with MODs but it does make the car sound "sportier" which the Germans do a good job of. But unless you are competing...the difference between a 1/4 mile 13.8 and 13.3 is too. S4, 335, etc, have their handling advantages. But pure looks and customized, less expensive (than German) mods can improve things the 350 might fall behind (handling, engine note). I am a former BMW 330 owner, happy I made the move to the IS350 and have a co-worker who is "rebuilding" is S4 Engine at 95,000 miles for 9k but is getting a "deal" from the dealer for 5k.

Last edited by yoegster; 02-23-12 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-22-12, 04:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingdavid
Notice the Bone stock is350 has the highest WHP and Torque? Yet somehow falls behind in the quarter mile (if just barely). Whats going on there? F-sport parts aren't so significantly lighter than stock parts to a sport model that much of an edge over stock are they? I Do you think its because the F-sport parts give you that much of a better launch?
The dyno data is fairly useless to compare between cars since these are folks from all over the country who ran their cars on entirely different dynos with entirely different operators, so there's a lot of variance possible.... (some dynos read higher than others, some folks don't dyno the car correctly, some dynos provide SAE corrected numbers and some might not, etc...)
Old 02-23-12, 12:13 PM
P Rock
Driver

The audi S cars are a damn joke if you ask me. The closest thing to paying thousands for a sport emblem as you can get. I suppose when you're the "Non-a$$hole alternative to a BMW" you can sit on your a$$ and let your name do the work. But in EVERY comparison I've ever read BMW, enz and yes, Lexus stomp All over Audi when it comes to rubber-on-the-road performance.
Don't get an Audi man, it's all the headache of German cars without the benefit of an M3 or anthing with an AMG. If you want REAL bang for your buck get an 08 is-F for $30,000! By far the best value if you ask me.

Correction. If you REALLY want bang-4-buck get an infinity g37 haha. The VQ platform is putting out 500+ hp with bolt ons at this point and the luxury amenities inside are JJjuuuusst short of the Lexus Level but for 20K who cares?
I've gotten some good input on this thread that I previously haven't thought about. I agree the S4 definitely isn't as much of a performer as an M3 or even an AMG car.
As far as an ISF for $30k, if I find one for that price, I'm ALL OVER IT. Lowest I've found within 300 miles of me was $39k.
Regarding the G37, I agree they're great cars but I'm just not drawn to it's looks. I know that's subjective but I've tried to like them and I just can't. Definitely great cars though.
Old 02-23-12, 12:59 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I've seen, Audis are the worst cars in the market. They drain your wallet like no other. They cost a lot to begin with, and do not offer any performance matched up to that price.
Bmws will get you the status and the comfortable drive. But from what've experienced, they seem to make parts that purposely last a certain amount of time. Hence why people sell their bimmers after two or three years. You can also research and find that bimmers are overstocking in used cars right now, hence the price drop of average 08 335s for roughly 23-25k
My cousin has the g37s. It's lovely inside and out. All I can say is you get what you pay for! It's absolutely amazing and one more thing, it has a lot of potential for mods. I believe there was a turbo charge kit that pushes 600bhp for only like 3gs
I personally drive a is250. Would love to get a 350 one day but not anytime soon :]
I would say get the g37 or the is350
It's the most reliable and gas friendly!
Old 02-25-12, 10:20 AM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

08 ISF for 30K ??? I don't think so, maybe with 90K miles and 500+hp on the VQ platform with bolt on's is completely false. My previous car was a Twin turboed 05 G35 Non HR motor and with 8 psi it pushed about 400WHP 377TRQ.