Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Used or not used? [exhaust]

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 10:05 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used or not used? [exhaust]

Hi everyone,

Yah ok, this is just about the most noob question you'll ever see . . but I cannot make up my mind so I'm really hoping to get some feedback from you .. since I'm so new to modding ...

This is not a specific exhaust related question so I'm posting it here .. admin please move as needed.

I've had my car for few weeks now, and been in the market for an exhaust ever since. I really like the F-Sport exhaust. At first I was thinking since exhaust is a non-moving part there's no point to get it brand new since it doesn't really break, and no one can see it once installed. But then I thought eventually I will end up selling it anyway and regardless brand new or used, they will depreciate by roughly same amount anyway (perhaps brand new might even potentially have a higher re-sale value?). So my question is: would I be better off with a brand new one or an used one

I know a lot of this comes down to what I want/my budget, etc. But any input will be greatly appreciated .. Thanks guys !!!!
Old 02-14-12, 10:10 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say get a used one then and save yourself some money. Do ou know which one you want? Figure which one you want and don't settle for less.
Old 02-14-12, 10:14 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ truth.

No point in buying new unless its a STUPID deal to pass up.

Ofcourse when you decide to go used doesn't mean get one with a hole in it
Old 02-14-12, 10:16 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. I guess I ended up posting under the performance section anyway.. hahaha. I'm so bad with technology / computer.

I really like the F - Sport, but it's so expensive . . I seriously considered the more affordable Tanabe, M2, etc, but I don't think I will be happy.
Old 02-14-12, 10:35 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Do it right the first time. If you follow that rule youll save A LOT of money in modding... I know from first hand experience
Old 02-15-12, 02:51 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

If you are **** then get what you want the first time around ... It will save you money in the long run if you are a bargain mod person then yeah look into a m2,tsudo exhaust.... Go on YouTube and listen to sound clips to compare your choices against your budget. I wanted a fsport myself but couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a exhaust for a Lexus and it really has no power gains. Pretty much just changes the exhaust note . I rolled with the m2 ... I don't think it sounds as good as a fsport but it's sounds just as good if not better then a tanabe . I just saw the tsudo looks nicely built and is only 349 shipped to the door. But at the end of the day it's all up to the individual we can tell you to get a certain exhaust till we are blue in the face. It's all up to you at the end of the day. I personally think exhaust are the hardest mods to suggest to someone because Exhaust notes are so subjective from ear to ear .
Old 02-15-12, 04:13 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Just get it used. I've bought both of my exhausts used and saved hundreds of dollars
Old 02-15-12, 07:48 AM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Thanks for the inputs ..

Last edited by Kitty2IS; 02-15-12 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 08:21 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Exhausts are going to get dirty. It's unavoidable. As for the scratches, as long as the tips look good and there are no punctures anywhere I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-15-12, 10:31 AM
since5oh
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default buy it used

if u can find a used one in good condition, buy it. you chances of selling later will be better if it's not beat up. i couldn't find a used f-sport last month so i bought a new one. now i am selling the f-sport and eating the difference. haha...
Old 02-15-12, 11:27 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Exhaust is not a wear and tear item like brake pads, where they go bad after X miles. A used exhaust has pretty much the same lifespan as a new one. The only downfall of used, would be that's it's dirty or has possible physical damages somewhere. Get used unless you stumble on a good deal with a new exhaust, or you can't find someone selling their used exhaust.
Old 02-15-12, 11:31 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my Tanabe Medallion exhaust system from a fellow CL member. It was in perfect condition, and less than half the price of a new one. My opinion is you should buy used, just make sure it's in good condition.

Last edited by ISF_GG; 02-15-12 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-15-12, 11:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I bought my Tanabe Medallion exhaust system from a fellow CL member. It was in perfect condition, and less than half the price of a new one. My opinion is you should buy used, just make sure it's in good condition.

Same here... no way I was gonna be paying what folks get new for a 2IS exhaust... the one on my
95 Impala, which was larger and involved a lot more piping (and added more power), cost less than any new 2IS exhaust I've seen.... it's nuts.

I got a nice Tanabe in great shape from a forum member and have been quite happy with it for a few years now.
Old 02-15-12, 01:53 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I almost always buy stuff new. I'm super **** and like my stuff to be 100% PERFECT. Hell even some new stuff I have purchased has had scratches or something.

Most people like to buy used though.....That exhaust does look in great shape!
Old 02-15-12, 05:50 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the input guys ! I might just hold off on the exhaust for now then . . until maybe I find a good deal

Quick Reply: Used or not used? [exhaust]