The motor has finally been torn apart. The thrust bearings are actually in perfect shape. Almost no visible wear on them whatsoever.
Turns out the crank was scored bad enough that it would need to be ground down and polished, requiring oversize bearings. Even though many people say this is fine, I prefer to stick to OEM size bearings everywhere. So I've got another used crank now, and it has been sent out for polishing only.
The block itself is fine - perfectly re-usable. Will just need to be flushed out and a light honing. Oil pump this time will be the PHR modified Toyota 2JZ-GTE unit.
I will be keeping my same Wiseco pistons, with a fresh set of rings. For the rods, I've opted for a slight upgrade over stock GTE - Eagle H beams. Nothing crazy, but at least a bit lighter than stock and still within a reasonable budget.
All bearings will be ACL Race series again. Upgrading the main bolts to ARP studs.
The head is completely re-usable as well, but we are disassembling to install new SuperTech forged valves and fresh valve seals.
ACT clutch assembly + OEM 1jz flywheel will be sent out for balancing - just in case. Also will be swapping to my Driftmotion built R154.
Progress has been slow with the motor - but at least the plans have been figured out and parts are either ready to install or on order.
I managed to work out a deal to retain a hoist until my car is running again so I could take care of some other much needed items:
- Tein Flex coilovers
- New OEM camber bolts/cams/nuts all around (most are completely seized, and have to be cut out)
- New OEM rear control arms (bushing has failed on one)
- New OEM front lower ball joints (preventative maintenance)
- New OEM tie rod ends (preventative maintenance)
- Figs poly bushings for front caster arm (#2) and lower control arm (#1)
Crappy pic, I know :/