Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hey piggybackers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 07:47 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I've tried them all, and I settled on the eManage ultimate. It's more expensive, at around 2x the cost of a FIC. The FIC is pretty good, but the ultimate is a bit better in terms of smoothness. Most people that get me to install and tune usually go with the FIC since it's cheaper and meets their goals and requirements. For me, I demand perfection from my cars lol.

The Ultimate and FIC8 both can drive a V8 engine. How much boost are you planning on running?
Old 02-10-12, 06:19 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Care to share on how you are reading the short and long term fuel trims on a 2jzgte vvti.
Old 02-10-12, 12:49 PM
98sleeper
Driver

Jeff, When I grow up i wanna be just like you..... but my wife won't let me! I'm still stalking a turbo kit online. After wheels FI is next!
Old 02-10-12, 02:30 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 98sleeper
Jeff, When I grow up i wanna be just like you..... but my wife won't let me! I'm still stalking a turbo kit online. After wheels FI is next!
Just wear a pair of these, and then you can go do what ever the **** you want to do..

Old 02-12-12, 02:25 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

99gs3, lol nice one.

ROPADOPA, the car is still running on the GE ecu believe it or not haha. That's the only way it's possible for the car to pass the OBD-II inspecion. To read the datastream for the JDM ecu, just order a scan tool from overseas and that should work ok.
Old 02-13-12, 06:26 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
99gs3, lol nice one.

ROPADOPA, the car is still running on the GE ecu believe it or not haha. That's the only way it's possible for the car to pass the OBD-II inspecion. To read the datastream for the JDM ecu, just order a scan tool from overseas and that should work ok.
I see , i was thinking that you may have had a way to read the JDM ECU. I have been working on it , just not as easy as it seems. Thanks
Old 02-13-12, 02:36 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

99gs3, lol nice one.

Hi Jeff, I see that your 2005 is a GTE swap. Is that one running off the GE ECU w/ a Piggyback? Or is it running the GTE ECU? Thanks for all of your knowledge!
Old 02-15-12, 10:42 AM
erikbang
Driver School Candidate

I've tried them all, and I settled on the eManage ultimate. It's more expensive, at around 2x the cost of a FIC. The FIC is pretty good, but the ultimate is a bit better in terms of smoothness. Most people that get me to install and tune usually go with the FIC since it's cheaper and meets their goals and requirements. For me, I demand perfection from my cars lol.

The Ultimate and FIC8 both can drive a V8 engine. How much boost are you planning on running?

Around 6 psi of boost
Old 02-15-12, 03:38 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Do not unplug all the O2 sensors! The stock ecu is highly adaptive and self correcting, let it do its job. Problem with unplugging all the O2 is that you lose O2 feedback functionality. If there are temperature swings where you live, then this will cause big problems for you. In the hot afternoon, say it's 90-100F outside and then it's 50-60F at night. This will cause your air fuel ratios to be off by quite a bit. This was one of the old school methods for tuning back when most had no idea how to work with obd2. The other thing with resetting the ecu every time the car was shut off was also a band-aid solution that wasn't very reliable.
ting.
Outside air temperature shouldn't cause your AFR's to swing so much if any. There's a air intake sensor and it'll compensate for such.

However I don't think unplugging the o2 snesors is a good idea. Yes it'll force open loop operation but you're also not sure how many other failsafe mode issues you're running into. I wouldn't be surprised if the systems will also affect timing and shift logic as a by product. You'll loose cruise control if you have it functioning as well.

And it will cause your AFR's to be off based on ethanol content and fuel temperature.

The emanage ultimate and AEM FIC allow you to send a skewed reading back from the o2 so the stock ecu will not learn it out. The AFC does not have that capability. Hence why the greddy and FIC are better options amongst other reasons.
Old 02-15-12, 09:09 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 88supramki
Hi Jeff, I see that your 2005 is a GTE swap. Is that one running off the GE ECU w/ a Piggyback? Or is it running the GTE ECU? Thanks for all of your knowledge!
That one was on a standalone. Was making more power than was safely achievable on a piggyback. I have setup a few other cars with GTE swaps and utilizing the GE ecu and piggyback. They don't have any issues at all, and runs just as smooth as a NA-T car.

Originally Posted by erikbang
Around 6 psi of boost
Then either system will be ok. The emanage can't control ignition timing on a v8 because of the way it operates. You will basically just run on the factory ignition map. The FIC can pull timing only.

Originally Posted by Hardrvin
Outside air temperature shouldn't cause your AFR's to swing so much if any. There's a air intake sensor and it'll compensate for such.

However I don't think unplugging the o2 snesors is a good idea. Yes it'll force open loop operation but you're also not sure how many other failsafe mode issues you're running into. I wouldn't be surprised if the systems will also affect timing and shift logic as a by product. You'll loose cruise control if you have it functioning as well.

And it will cause your AFR's to be off based on ethanol content and fuel temperature.

The emanage ultimate and AEM FIC allow you to send a skewed reading back from the o2 so the stock ecu will not learn it out. The AFC does not have that capability. Hence why the greddy and FIC are better options amongst other reasons.
The stock air temp calibration is setup for the stock injectors. Once you increase the injector size significantly, that factory air temp calibration will be way off. Trust me on this, I've tried several times in the past and it always resulted in the AFR being different at noon and night. The emanage has air temp adjustment tables. Unless you have the temp adjustment settings, the afr will change by a bit with temperature swings if you go from stock 270cc injectors to a set of 600-800cc.

The car will just run a static map all the time if you run with no O2 sensors. Shifting does not change, and the cruise control still works. It's a bad idea to do it because your AFR will not stay at a targeted 14.7. You will have to flash different maps during the day and night when the temperature changes.

Also, when tuning, you do not have to skew the O2 signal(unless you want to change the narrowband voltage oscillation a little bit to save some gas). Just tune so that the fuel trims stay in check and you're golden.
Old 02-15-12, 11:03 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardrvin

Wrong. You're forgetting that along with temperature the air density changes as well. This is why factory cars have closed loop fuel function. IAT sensor won't compensate for much, especially if it's a boosted car. You'll be surprised how much the fuel curve will change with temperature.

If I needed to go piggy back I would run an HKS Fcon iS. You still have awesome resolution for tuning as well as good closed loop functionality. Nothing beats HKS's feedback compensation setups in the Vpro. It can use a 100Hz wideband sensor to it's full potential. You can change the correction volume as well as the sensor cycle time. It's also the fastest correction I've ever seen.

Only catch is you'll need an HKS Pro tuner to tune it, which is a good thing because typically HKS Pro certified tuners know their **** and will tune your car properly.
Old 02-16-12, 06:27 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

That one was on a standalone. Was making more power than was safely achievable on a piggyback. I have setup a few other cars with GTE swaps and utilizing the GE ecu and piggyback. They don't have any issues at all, and runs just as smooth as a NA-T
Thanks! We're those swaps running stock O2 sensors? Would you suggest running a wideband concurrently or just stick with the stock ones since the piggyback can support the data that the GE ECU needs?
Old 02-17-12, 12:09 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Originally Posted by Bippu147
Wrong. You're forgetting that along with temperature the air density changes as well. This is why factory cars have closed loop fuel function. IAT sensor won't compensate for much, especially if it's a boosted car. You'll be surprised how much the fuel curve will change with temperature.
Uh, why else do you think the intake air temp sensor is in there in the first place? To compensate for the charge density that exists due to the temperature difference.
So we are talking about the same thing only you assume that ecu compensates soley on o2 input which I'm going to tell you, you're wrong.
Old 02-17-12, 12:38 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Incorrect. Air density / charge density will also change with other variables such as elevation and humidity. You're telling me a temp sensor is going to pick up on that? LOL

I know O2 input isnt the only compensation table, I never said it was, that's your assumption. All the other fuel comp tables in the ECU are fixed values (water, air, accel, decel, speed, etc) the only one that changes is the O2 feedback table.

Just out of curiosity, what have you tuned, and what ecu's have you used?

Last edited by Bippu147; 02-17-12 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 12:55 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

And for elevation you have the map sensor.

You assumed that our conversation shards strictly air temp has extended to barometric pressure as well.

Since you seem to want to push credentials now, I've tuned haltech, AEM, emanage, autronic, open source on Subaru. I'm also an engineer for a major oe.

Thinking more to the issues Jeff has seen with it swinging without having O2 input, I'm wondering if latency difference becomes the issue. Piggyback is doing stricly a pulse width compensation based on % size difference with no regard to lantency and how it alters your mid to low pulse width areas.

Quick Reply: Hey piggybackers