Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe Medalion Axle Back Installed (Pics and opinion included!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 07:07 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tanabe Medalion Axle Back Installed (Pics and opinion included!)

Ordered the Tanabe axle back exhaust and finally got around to putting it on yesterday. First of all, let me say that it looks great. I was very pleased with the fit and finish. The mufflers and tips look great, and the pipes themselves look better than they need to, considering you can't see them unless you are laying on the ground. I did order a new mid pipe gasket from Sewell ($28), because I didn't want to use the old one. My car has 80,000 miles on it. The install took about an hour and the hardest part was fighting with the rubber exhaust hangers. I sprayed the two bolts with PB Blaster before doing the install and they came loose without an issue. The rubber hangers however, are quite stubborn and the four (two for each muffler) at the mufflers are also a little bit difficult to get to.
As for the sound...... There is a purr when it is cranked and when it is shut off, but the sound at idle is nearly exactly the same as it was with the factory exhaust. At low RPMs, it has a note to it. When in the throttle heavily, it really comes alive and sounds great. I like it, but am already considering an Invidia mid pipe install. My issue with the Tanabe is that there is no difference at idle, and when running 70 mph on the interstate, I don't hear it. If you are in the gas at 30% or more, it's there. Anything less than that, and there is no exhaust noise at all. I was really surprised that I had to get into it to get the sound that I was looking for. It sounds great, but I am not in the habit of gunning the car everywhere I go.

Now for the pics........
Old exhaust out.

The Tanabe ready to go in.

And no, that is NOT my bike in the background of this pic......

The spot welded emblems with the model number are a very nice touch.....

Old 01-09-12, 07:13 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job, clean exhaust...I've always liked the Tanabe exhaust-a nice humble sound.
Old 01-09-12, 07:22 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Good Choice!!! u gonna be very happy man.
Old 01-09-12, 08:19 PM
LexStylez
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! I installed mine not too long ago and I love it
Old 01-09-12, 08:25 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Worth mentioning, I ordered this exhaust from Kris at GOTORacing (a Club Lexus Vendor). It was shipped the same day, and arrived within five days. Very pleased with the communication, as well as the price. I am hoping to see a great deal on a group buy of the Invidia mid pipes in the future, as a I am convinced that this combination is be exactly the sound that I am trying to get.
Old 01-09-12, 09:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

nice choice of exhaust!
Old 01-09-12, 09:10 PM
ximd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing like the looks of a brand new exhaust
Old 01-09-12, 09:13 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

you just installed it so it hasnt woken up yet... give it a couple days to burn away the stuff inside and you will start to hear it more. it isnt loud but you WILL hear it and it sounds NICE!!!
Old 01-09-12, 09:21 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Now slap on those midpipes and you'll have the same setup i do. Which i like. Although im thinking fsport later. My parents rode with me the other day and they said it was loud lol. Full load with my girl and at highway speeds. It does get a deeper sound with more weight.
Old 01-09-12, 10:32 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice exhaust, jealous =P
Old 01-10-12, 01:08 AM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Looks good. I have the same one and couldn't be happier with it!
Old 01-10-12, 06:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alias
Looks good. I have the same one and couldn't be happier with it!
Same here!
Old 01-10-12, 07:15 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm gonna give it a week before I make a decision on the mid pipes. Seems a little louder than at first, but so hard to tell in small increments. Even if it isn't as loud as I had hoped, it looks so damn good. Amazing how just the larger tips and the chrome mufflers make such a huge difference in the appearance and perceived stance of the car. I found an old pic that I have to post up. It is before the GFX front lip, window tint, painted calipers, F Sport springs and exhaust. I SWEAR the car looked like a truck then, compared to how it looks now. Some of the littlest things make the biggest differences!
Old 01-10-12, 08:21 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice look. Great exhaust when I had it. IMHO you might need a GFX rear lip or something similar, you're rear looks a little naked.
Old 01-10-12, 10:20 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammer1
Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm gonna give it a week before I make a decision on the mid pipes. Seems a little louder than at first, but so hard to tell in small increments. Even if it isn't as loud as I had hoped, it looks so damn good. Amazing how just the larger tips and the chrome mufflers make such a huge difference in the appearance and perceived stance of the car. I found an old pic that I have to post up. It is before the GFX front lip, window tint, painted calipers, F Sport springs and exhaust. I SWEAR the car looked like a truck then, compared to how it looks now. Some of the littlest things make the biggest differences!
.... I wish midpipes were legal here in CA

Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion Axle Back Installed (Pics and opinion included!)