Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe Medalion Axle Back Installed (Pics and opinion included!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 06:48 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any suggestions I have the same color also but can't decide one which rear lip to get, I don't want it to hang lower then the side skirts n front. Exhaust looks amazing !!! We needa meet up in a couple of weeks so I can hear it and order mine!! lol

Originally Posted by Initial G
Nice look. Great exhaust when I had it. IMHO you might need a GFX rear lip or something similar, you're rear looks a little naked.
Old 01-12-12, 06:58 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the pic from a year ago, before the mods......

and after.......

I love it!
Old 01-12-12, 07:04 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely get a GFX rear to compliment the exhaust
Old 01-12-12, 07:06 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dorkacho
.... I wish midpipes were legal here in CA
Doesn't mean you can't install them I have the invidia installed, although I don't need smog for another 4 years, when the time comes I will just buy a bolt on resonator to pass smog
Old 01-12-12, 07:32 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

As to the "legal in California" issue, there are legalities in NC in regards to factory exhaust and cats. People everywhere put the exhaust back for the inspection, then go back to the modified exhaust exhaust afterwards. Just keep your factory exhaust. Unless they do roadside inspections in California, you be okay!
Old 01-12-12, 07:35 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HeartmyIS
Definitely get a GFX rear to compliment the exhaust
I agree that I need to do something, but I'm honestly not a lover of the GFX rear. I like the sides, but didn't want to add them without some sort of rear trim. I think the front GFX is okay without adding anything else. I am thinking roof spoiler for sure, but haven't decided on a rear yet.
Old 01-12-12, 08:02 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Doesn't mean you can't install them I have the invidia installed, although I don't need smog for another 4 years, when the time comes I will just buy a bolt on resonator to pass smog
Hello there How often do we have to do our smog? Is it once a year?

Also, could you elaborate on what you meant by a bolt on resonator? What is it and what does it do..? I'm also in the same dilemma and would love to know.. thank you sister
Originally Posted by Slammer1
As to the "legal in California" issue, there are legalities in NC in regards to factory exhaust and cats. People everywhere put the exhaust back for the inspection, then go back to the modified exhaust exhaust afterwards. Just keep your factory exhaust. Unless they do roadside inspections in California, you be okay!
I don't have a lift or ramp or anything at home, so I'm going to have to pay a mechanic to do the work for me . . so might not be worth it Altho I'd love to have a mid
Old 01-12-12, 08:07 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nice choice!
Old 01-12-12, 08:43 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS

Also, could you elaborate on what you meant by a bolt on resonator? What is it and what does it do..? I'm also in the same dilemma and would love to know.. thank you sister

I don't have a lift or ramp or anything at home, so I'm going to have to pay a mechanic to do the work for me . . so might not be worth it Altho I'd love to have a mid
In CA the age of the car matters-

If you buy new you need no inspection for the first 6 years as long as you pay the $24 smog abatment fee (unless you're a non-resident, then you need one anyway)

If you buy used and the car is more than 4 years old, it must be smogged by the seller to sell it.

Outside of that inspections are every 2 years.
Old 01-12-12, 08:53 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS

What Kurtz said. A bolt on resonator is pretty much a piece you can install and uninstall by a few bolts. It just allows you to pass smog check

And you can just use a jack and change the midpipe that's what my boyfriend did.
Old 01-12-12, 10:29 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
In CA the age of the car matters-

If you buy new you need no inspection for the first 6 years as long as you pay the $24 smog abatment fee (unless you're a non-resident, then you need one anyway)

If you buy used and the car is more than 4 years old, it must be smogged by the seller to sell it.

Outside of that inspections are every 2 years.
Thanks!
What Kurtz said. A bolt on resonator is pretty much a piece you can install and uninstall by a few bolts. It just allows you to pass smog check

And you can just use a jack and change the midpipe that's what my boyfriend did.
I see. Correct me if I"m wrong, exhaust system is consisted of headers (where O2 sensor is), + midpipe, + axel back (Y + muffler). So where does this resonator come in and how does it help pass inspection ?
Old 01-12-12, 11:08 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

The invidia midpipe is actually 3 pieces. One of the pieces is the resonator that doesn't not pass smog so the direct bolt on resonator will replace it
Old 01-12-12, 11:14 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ But in turn do you make less sound out of it? How much is the resonator?
Old 01-12-12, 11:41 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

^ depends on type of resonator, they range from $30-$100. Noise also varies by size of resonator.
Old 01-13-12, 05:43 AM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

^ Which one would you recommend, if still want decent sound ? ;p

Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion Axle Back Installed (Pics and opinion included!)