Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jzgte Non-vvti swap in 2gs, don't do it...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11, 11:11 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2jzgte Non-vvti swap in 2gs, don't do it...

Whats up guys, I'm probably the only idiot who decides to try and do a factory style swap in a jzs160, using a jzs147 non-vvti motor swap. I'm sticking with factory side-mount (for now), and using the better 4speed auto trans... I cant tell you how bad I want to convert to manual, but I havent been working as much these days and cant spend the extra cash. Anyway, I have 95% of the swap done at this point... lets see what pics I can dig up to show you why you shouldnt do this swap in a 2gs.
All normal swap **** applies, still need to convert the fuel tank to accept fuel return.. ect..

Lets see what I have for pics..

old motor...

peace out!

cut off exhaust to keep her quiet..

time for prep!

pretty glad I removed hyrdro fans! replaced water pump with the full housing from driftmotion.com (I was able to keep the stock electric fans by cutting out the upper reservoir, otherwise the rad hose will hit it)

time to pull the old motor off the subframe. first time playing with a forklift is fun!

oh snap... literally. check out the motor mounts!

the trans mount was working great too.. haha. how was my motor staying in the car after all those drift events??

and lets swap motor mounts and put the gte on the subframe... problem #! gen2 upper and lower motor mounts will not work. the upper mounts position the motorset crooked on subframe. we had to swap the JDM ones back on and somehow the jdm lower mount fit right into the outside holes. the 147 mounts also push everything forward about and inch and the stock twins clear fine!!!!

Last edited by StarkoS14; 12-29-11 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-29-11, 11:22 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

another tough look at the mount bs..

droppin the subframe again...

bye bye new 2gs mounts...

ahhh, much better

remember how I said the JDM 147 motor mounts push everything forward?

well, the JDM front driveshaft is too short, gotta use the USDM one to make up for the pushing of the motor forward.

30mm socket to the rescue! you need to swap tailshafts, but wait... the 2nd gen tailshaft wont fit on the JDM trans, you need to use a US gen1, non-turbo tailshaft that we happened to have laying around.. well, we had a few to try from...

well anyway, made a custom trans mount and everything is together fine except we also had to extend the shifter linkage an inch too.

Only things I would like to get working again is the tach and water temp gauges... :/ Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by StarkoS14; 01-04-12 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-29-11, 12:04 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Great thread, thanks for posting.
Shoot us a picture of the transmission mount you made.
Old 12-29-11, 03:11 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To be honest with you, thats doesnt sound like too much work at all for a swap. Maybe a few hurdles you didnt need, but I have had much worse issues along the way with my different set ups.

good luck with it
Old 12-29-11, 03:14 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it sucks, been there done that, I have since pulled the non vvti GTE and replaced it with the VVTI model. You are also going to lose your tach, cruise, and auto climate control. My coolant gauge didn't work either, for the motor mounts we used 2 left mounts or maybe it was 2 right mounts, I can't remember. Custom driveshaft, custom tranny mount... no fun.

The VVTI aristo motor is plug and play, everything works, I think there is one wire to re pin. So much nicer with the VVTI.
Old 12-29-11, 03:33 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Originally Posted by adamgamz
Yes it sucks, been there done that, I have since pulled the non vvti GTE and replaced it with the VVTI model. You are also going to lose your tach, cruise, and auto climate control. My coolant gauge didn't work either, for the motor mounts we used 2 left mounts or maybe it was 2 right mounts, I can't remember. Custom driveshaft, custom tranny mount... no fun.

The VVTI aristo motor is plug and play, everything works, I think there is one wire to re pin. So much nicer with the VVTI.
of course the vvti is so much nicer.... I might go your route and buy the vvti swap and throw this 2j in my s14, but for now, I want her working. As for the tach, I bought the MSD box from driftmotion, still yet to install... I already disabled trac control and figured i would lose cruise and climate control.. no biggie...

Last edited by StarkoS14; 12-29-11 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-29-11, 03:55 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, tranny worked perfect on aristo ecu and aristo air flow meter. I only swapped to VVTI because of engine failure. You will be good. Good luck.
Old 12-29-11, 04:25 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

I saw the pinouts on the ecu for the airflow meter, but my swap didnt come with one. The clip had an apexi intake and ran off straight map
Old 12-29-11, 05:36 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The jdm 147's were MAP only. The USDM supra version of the non-vvti gte had a maf, but the aristo didn't receive it until the 161 VVTI.
Old 12-29-11, 05:37 PM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sissys....lol
Old 12-29-11, 11:31 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

everything is good now... probably taking her for a test drive tomorrow night after installing a new fuel fitting and the walbro...
Old 01-03-12, 09:18 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

So, the most odd thing about the swap. My gas gauge only adjusts accurately at startup.. Not sure how I feel about that yet... haha
Old 02-26-12, 09:19 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Trying to figure out why you lost climate control...
Old 02-27-12, 09:17 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

^ Going to answer my own question, but figured it may help some others in the future.

A/C ECU communicates more than I would have anticipated with the engine ECU. As such, both serve functions related to climate control, and w/out having both, it doesn't function.
Old 02-27-12, 10:13 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a bunch of multiplex stuff in these cars. Makes it a bit more difficult when trying to do custom stuff, but not impossible if you put some time into it.

Quick Reply: 2jzgte Non-vvti swap in 2gs, don't do it...