Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which intake for sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 04:59 PM
EZwider
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which intake for sound?

Ive been doing some research on intakes. I'm currently running stock intake with F-Sport exhaust on my 09 is350. I'm really going for more sound at this point, but a slight power increase would be great too.
Ill probably end up going with a joe-z pipe. But I want a new box as well.
Just looking for suggestions and/or confirmations from experience.

Last edited by EZwider; 11-03-11 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-03-11, 05:07 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The F-Sport intake paired with your exhaust would sound pretty nice. It'll give you the slightest bump in power and isn't too loud or quiet.

If you want the loudest (still quiet to me), you should get an aFe or Takeda intake. I got an eBay intake and it's the loudest SRI I think, the Takeda is what I'm getting soon which will be a tad bit more quiet but it fits and looks better. However, with these intakes, you may not gain any power or even lose some.

Last option is a Joe-Z intake for more power and you can cut some holes in the bottom on your intake box for more noise.
Old 11-03-11, 05:15 PM
EZwider
Driver

The Joe-Z pipe looks nice, would it even be worth getting a new box with it? But if your saying most sound out of a Takeda I probably end up going with that. Is there any proven gain or loss of power with the Takeda intake?
Old 11-03-11, 05:31 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZwider
The Joe-Z pipe looks nice, would it even be worth getting a new box with it? But if your saying most sound out of a Takeda I probably end up going with that. Is there any proven gain or loss of power with the Takeda intake?
Why would you want a new airbox though? If you want an airbox, you might as well go with the F-Sport intake IMO. Unless you can find a used airbox, it'll cost you a lot at the dealer or even eBay. With the Takeda, it's not bad for $180 on eBay new. Some guy is selling one used in the Classifieds right now too. The deal with them is they claim an increase of 13HP but that's not realistic. No intake for the 2IS can give that much power. Plus, dynos are done with hoods open so more air is there anyways. The Takeda is one of the loudest but it's the best SRI IMO. Not too many others out there have a heat shield around it and doesn't need to be oiled so it's good for the MAF sensors. I don't think you'll lose any power with the Takeda but no gains either, just more noise.
Old 11-03-11, 05:32 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

LMS SRI for max noise! Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqqsLeAno4s
Old 11-03-11, 05:49 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Not bad lol, but that's actually how loud my eBay intake is.
Old 11-03-11, 07:31 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm selling a F-Sport intake box only. PM me if interested. BTW, I like how the F-Sport intake sounds. Growl when you hit the gas at around 2000 to 3000rpm.
Old 11-03-11, 08:07 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

I have an AFE stage 2 intake and it SCREAMS. I used to have the joeZ pipe paired with the k&n drop in filter but it was way too quiet. In my opinion, you should go with the Injen, AFE, or Fujita intakes for max sound since the LMS is very hard to find.
Old 11-04-11, 12:37 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've experience with Fujita, they do give a really nice sound.
Old 11-04-11, 11:17 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Get the Joe Z pipe and cut a hole in your stock box like the F-sport has. I've got the stock box with a hole cut in it and it sounds great to me. Cost me nothing.
Old 11-04-11, 11:19 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rookieIS
i've experience with Fujita, they do give a really nice sound.
^^^^^Nooooo!

Do not touch Fugita, K&N, Injen, LMS, or anything with an open filter element on it. The intake was designed the way it is for a reason. If you get an intake with an open element your only drawing in unwanted hot air from the engine bay and will likely lose power, mainly low end power. You will not gain power with these cheap ebay setups. I bought my car with a Fugita intake already on it and got rid of that piece of junk immediately, first thing I did. I then bought an F sport intake. If you really want sound, buy a Joe Z or F Sport pipe alone, the price difference is insignificant. Then cut an hole in your airbox in the same location as the F sport box.
Old 11-04-11, 12:49 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by my95tsi
^^^^^Nooooo!

Do not touch Fugita, K&N, Injen, LMS, or anything with an open filter element on it. The intake was designed the way it is for a reason. If you get an intake with an open element your only drawing in unwanted hot air from the engine bay and will likely lose power, mainly low end power. You will not gain power with these cheap ebay setups. I bought my car with a Fugita intake already on it and got rid of that piece of junk immediately, first thing I did. I then bought an F sport intake. If you really want sound, buy a Joe Z or F Sport pipe alone, the price difference is insignificant. Then cut an hole in your airbox in the same location as the F sport box.
eBay brands? What are you talking about? The only ebay brand intake is the top fuel intake. The OP wants an intake that offers the most sound, not the most performance. Fujita is a great brand and I've had experience with it before. It is not a piece of junk as you claim it to be.
Old 11-04-11, 01:32 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by A_Grasso
eBay brands? What are you talking about? The only ebay brand intake is the top fuel intake. The OP wants an intake that offers the most sound, not the most performance. Fujita is a great brand and I've had experience with it before. It is not a piece of junk as you claim it to be.
Ebay brands are those i consider to be produced based on no real testing on the target vehicle. It's a run of the mill intake that actually hurts performance. Hell you can make your car sound like a beast but what's the point when it's actually hurting itself? F sport will sound just as nice, actually IMO nicer and it will not hurt performance. What makes Fujita a great brand? Did they add extra chrome to their pipe? This intake is no different than any other $50 ebay intake you buy. It will do no more and no less.

Thank you....come again.
Old 11-04-11, 04:40 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Alright bro, go with that. 5 hp is not going to make a real difference anyways; trust me, I know. If injen, fujita, afe, and takeda didn't do any r&d on their intakes, where would they be? I sure know that people wouldn't recommend them if they were not satisfied. So thank YOU and COME again sir. I refuse to further debate this subject. Back on topic, the joeZ with a hole in the box will provide about 5 hp and about the same sound of an fsport intake. If you want to get a lot of sound, and possibly some performance, go with an SRI intake and you'll be happy...
Old 11-05-11, 09:20 AM
itruns
Driver

I have an Injen for sale, it came on the car when I bought it. I did notice a diff. when the dealer put it back to stock to CPO it...

Quick Reply: Which intake for sound?