Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation > Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

GS430 Better Tranny shifts just by adjusting dial?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-14, 12:36 PM   #121
DMPesso
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
DMPesso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 782
Default

was it actually worth spending that much? did it help that much?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
DMPesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 06:48 PM   #122
1QWKGS4
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (3)
 
1QWKGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: GA/TX
Posts: 2,065
Default

<-------------- Staying with factory setting.. we are not smarter or know better than what Lexus Engineers know...
__________________

1999 GS400 -- Alpine Silver// Tom's Racing Front, Veilside Skirts & Rear // 20" wheels // Tein CS v2 Coilovers // Daizen Sways // TRD-STB / Dragon TC // Torsen 3.76 LSD // Borla SS Exhaust //
2005 GS430 -- Crystal Pearl // ML // NAV // Hardwired V1 // Custom Ipod-Sirius // Blitz Throttle Controller // Ultra-STB // -- (1 of 422 GS430's produced in '05)
Past cars: '11 IS350 / '08 G35S / '05 LS430 UL / '04 & '06 G35 Coupe / '02 IS300 / '98 C5 Corvette / '96 Trans am / '98 Maxima SE //
1QWKGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 09:24 PM   #123
RoMiLex
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
RoMiLex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL05GS View Post
You're forgetting that the clutch slippage takes away torque applied to the gears. Less slippage causes more stress on the gears instead of the clutch plates. A good ATF, such as Amsoil's, can take the heat all day long so heat isn't a really big factor.
I didnt forget. But the shifting is so ridiculously soft that a little firming up isnt going to shatter the gears. They arent made of glass. And i know different fluids and big front mount trans coolers can assist in keeping temps down. But the majority of the time 1) heat kills transmissions, 2) slipping and long shifts make heat. Its one big reason you see guys with more stall go with trans coolers. So if it shifts quicker and it has the stock stall the trans temps should end up being slightly lower at certain times, like in a traffic jam that goes from 0-30mph for 6 miles many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4 View Post
<-------------- Staying with factory setting.. we are not smarter or know better than what Lexus Engineers know...
Ehh, sort of. While most of us are not engineers some of us want something different from what they set up as a kind of "this will make the majority of them happy" settings. Did you know some car manufacturers add non-structural weight to the doors to make them feel more solid? Because light feels cheap and flimsy. So the very soft transmission panders to whom they figured would be buying these cars. People who do not want to hear the exhaust tone or the intake growl or feel a snappy aggressive shift from the transmission. It always comes down to money and greed. How many fewer units of GS series cars would not get sold because the consumer reports claim that the transmission was "too harsh"? Probably alot would be not sold being that these are a luxury type car.
__________________
'98 GS400 Silver and Black

Last edited by RoMiLex; 07-29-14 at 09:33 PM..
RoMiLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 01:07 PM   #124
ILL05GS
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
ILL05GS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSJake View Post
I has this installed about a month ago. Makes the shifts night and day quicker and firmer.
They drill the main passages to accept more fluid thus more pressure.

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...here-3108.html
I would love to see a video of this car shifting
__________________
GS430 - Lexus Master technician
T1 Certified AMSOIL dealer - special pricing for CL members - PM me
ILL05GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 12:33 PM   #125
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (21)
 
GSJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Packer Country
Posts: 1,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL05GS View Post
I would love to see a video of this car shifting
I had this done with a Dragon 2300 stall TC. So between the both it really helped the lag issues that are transmission are prone to.
__________________
GSJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 05:10 PM   #126
1QWKGS4
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (3)
 
1QWKGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: GA/TX
Posts: 2,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMiLex View Post
Ehh, sort of. While most of us are not engineers some of us want something different from what they set up as a kind of "this will make the majority of them happy" settings. Did you know some car manufacturers add non-structural weight to the doors to make them feel more solid? Because light feels cheap and flimsy. So the very soft transmission panders to whom they figured would be buying these cars. People who do not want to hear the exhaust tone or the intake growl or feel a snappy aggressive shift from the transmission. It always comes down to money and greed. How many fewer units of GS series cars would not get sold because the consumer reports claim that the transmission was "too harsh"? Probably alot would be not sold being that these are a luxury type car.
Yep, I agree about non-structural weight however some of that weight is also used for weight distribution to balance the car out at certain points. I can also agree with you on that the car in stock form is really soft shifting but its a luxury car but is "suppose" to be performance oriented luxury car. I added the Torque Converter and LSD and it really woke up the car.. I use to have Corvettes with shift kits and all and i kind of missed the quick shifts and chirping tires in every gear but IMO i don't think i want that in my Lexus. I think TC/LSD is enough. Plus i won't want to stray off to far with anything having to do more with touching the Tranny. I don't think it boils down to just money, I think they intended the car to have a balnace of luxury of performance ofcourse some of us want more of the lean of performance on our cars which is why I have owned a few Infiniti(s). (Infiniti is less soft and more performance oriented Luxo brand) I do agree the pre-FSport cars are very soft but I still think Lexus did a fine job for what they were trying to achieve at that time, now people want more sporty/racier cars hence voila F-Sport models.
__________________

1999 GS400 -- Alpine Silver// Tom's Racing Front, Veilside Skirts & Rear // 20" wheels // Tein CS v2 Coilovers // Daizen Sways // TRD-STB / Dragon TC // Torsen 3.76 LSD // Borla SS Exhaust //
2005 GS430 -- Crystal Pearl // ML // NAV // Hardwired V1 // Custom Ipod-Sirius // Blitz Throttle Controller // Ultra-STB // -- (1 of 422 GS430's produced in '05)
Past cars: '11 IS350 / '08 G35S / '05 LS430 UL / '04 & '06 G35 Coupe / '02 IS300 / '98 C5 Corvette / '96 Trans am / '98 Maxima SE //
1QWKGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 08:48 PM   #127
ILL05GS
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
ILL05GS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSJake View Post
I had this done with a Dragon 2300 stall TC. So between the both it really helped the lag issues that are transmission are prone to.
Still would love to see a video for comparison!
__________________
GS430 - Lexus Master technician
T1 Certified AMSOIL dealer - special pricing for CL members - PM me
ILL05GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 06:31 AM   #128
angus
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (3)
 
angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4 View Post
Yep, I agree about non-structural weight however some of that weight is also used for weight distribution to balance the car out at certain points. I can also agree with you on that the car in stock form is really soft shifting but its a luxury car but is "suppose" to be performance oriented luxury car. I added the Torque Converter and LSD and it really woke up the car.. I use to have Corvettes with shift kits and all and i kind of missed the quick shifts and chirping tires in every gear but IMO i don't think i want that in my Lexus. I think TC/LSD is enough. Plus i won't want to stray off to far with anything having to do more with touching the Tranny. I don't think it boils down to just money, I think they intended the car to have a balnace of luxury of performance ofcourse some of us want more of the lean of performance on our cars which is why I have owned a few Infiniti(s). (Infiniti is less soft and more performance oriented Luxo brand) I do agree the pre-FSport cars are very soft but I still think Lexus did a fine job for what they were trying to achieve at that time, now people want more sporty/racier cars hence voila F-Sport models.
I really think you are missing there point here.

None of the weight added to doors has to do with balancing the car.

If you've added a TC and LSD - why would you not want to adjust the pressure setting - that the engineers PUT THERE?

At first you talked about staying stock so I said "ok" - then you tell us you modded your car but don't want to use a factory installed optional setting?

Yes they intended the car to have some balance of luxury and performance but I also know that there were many concessions mad and this shows us that they thought about how many complaints they would get because the tranny shifted too soft.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 08:14 AM   #129
1QWKGS4
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (3)
 
1QWKGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: GA/TX
Posts: 2,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus View Post
I really think you are missing there point here.

None of the weight added to doors has to do with balancing the car.

If you've added a TC and LSD - why would you not want to adjust the pressure setting - that the engineers PUT THERE?

At first you talked about staying stock so I said "ok" - then you tell us you modded your car but don't want to use a factory installed optional setting?

Yes they intended the car to have some balance of luxury and performance but I also know that there were many concessions mad and this shows us that they thought about how many complaints they would get because the tranny shifted too soft.
Well I have one car thats stock and another thats modded if you're confused..

I'm actually very content with TC/LSD on my modded 400 and that as far as i'm going to go with it as far as tranny. I'm not that into neck snapping shifts as i once were.. hehe

I personally feel my mods on my GS400 is as near perfect as I can get and my 430 is stock so i'm loving that too (Jekyl and Hyde) LOL
__________________

1999 GS400 -- Alpine Silver// Tom's Racing Front, Veilside Skirts & Rear // 20" wheels // Tein CS v2 Coilovers // Daizen Sways // TRD-STB / Dragon TC // Torsen 3.76 LSD // Borla SS Exhaust //
2005 GS430 -- Crystal Pearl // ML // NAV // Hardwired V1 // Custom Ipod-Sirius // Blitz Throttle Controller // Ultra-STB // -- (1 of 422 GS430's produced in '05)
Past cars: '11 IS350 / '08 G35S / '05 LS430 UL / '04 & '06 G35 Coupe / '02 IS300 / '98 C5 Corvette / '96 Trans am / '98 Maxima SE //
1QWKGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-14, 10:32 PM   #130
angus
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (3)
 
angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 517
Default

So I had a car come in and had his tranny oil changed - while we were in there he asked if I could turn the dial.

I never drove the car before but I can say that it felt a little better than a stock GS - It did get me to thinking about one thing.

The IS300 always seems to shift quicker and harder than the GS - since their tranny is the same (A650E) I wonder if simply swapping the valve bodies would give us the same shifts?
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 09:38 AM   #131
DMPesso
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
DMPesso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 782
Default

Is this dial actually something that can and is supposed to be adjusted? Or is it not recommended ? Because I've never heard of this. If you can possibly tell me where or point me to where it's at so I can tell my mechanic to try this.
DMPesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-14, 10:34 PM   #132
clos430
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (17)
 
clos430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So.Cali
Posts: 1,143
clos430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMPesso View Post
Is this dial actually something that can and is supposed to be adjusted? Or is it not recommended ? Because I've never heard of this. If you can possibly tell me where or point me to where it's at so I can tell my mechanic to try this.
Read this thread

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/perf...ting-dial.html
__________________
clos430 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 02:25 AM   #133
angus
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (3)
 
angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 517
Default

OK, I'd like to chime in now after a little more seat time with my 99 GS4.

I did the mod and I can definitely feel the difference, the most pronounced part is the downshifts.

You can really feel it kick in and I like it - I just bought the toyomoto style "rods" and I think I may try it next - although I need to get the figs rear diff and subframe bushings first as it really moves around on the stock bushings right now.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 06:31 AM   #134
DMPesso
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
DMPesso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 782
Default

You guys don't think this will put extra stress in the tranny and make it not last as long? Maybe the reason lexus tuned it this way?
DMPesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 06:31 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission shift adjustment Lavrishevo LS430 2 08-06-14 02:52 PM
2006 GS430 shift kit? angus GS - Third Generation 5 05-08-14 01:30 AM
GS400 tranny vs GS430 tranny DMPesso GS - Second Generation 22 03-15-14 02:47 AM
Anyone good at understanding Tranny solenoids? ipwn LS430 2 02-07-13 06:49 AM
E-shift tranny problems please help socalsdis3 Performance 7 03-29-12 02:37 PM


Tags
2005, 99, adjust, bilstein, body, feel, gears, gs430, kit, lexus, pan, shift, shifting, shifts, throttle, tranny, transmission

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info