Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS430 Better Tranny shifts just by adjusting dial?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 02:16 PM
mtofique
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my tranny was shifting smoothe before and it didnt shown any signs of slipping or any other malfunction. The tranny was meticulously maintained and fluid checked every so often. Had a transmission flush done a couple of years ago and a couple of drain and refills after that. Mostly all my driving is highway so its still quite puzzling what went wrong. Im going to open up the wrecked tranny when i get time and let you guys know what i find.
Old 06-10-12, 10:36 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Motofique, any update?
Old 10-15-12, 08:14 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

so anyone else who did this,do you notice that when you now go into reverse/drive from park it seems to jerk into gear more than normal?

i did this last week and i like it but i wonder what it felt like on the 2nd setting.... i also changed the tranny filter while i was in there
Old 10-15-12, 08:42 PM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shifts on my tranny are still as smooth as before. No jerks in any gear change.

FYI, on my GS the dial was set on the second position from factory (Euro GS).
Old 07-24-13, 06:52 PM
Lexicious
Driver

Will this work on a 98 gs400? Or is there something similar?
Old 07-24-13, 09:12 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexicious
Will this work on a 98 gs400? Or is there something similar?
Thanks for rebumping this Good info.

Nonetheless reading is fundamental, Re read the whole thread
Old 06-12-14, 05:54 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

bump

Just this mod to my car.

BTW mine was in the middle position, now it is to the left.
Old 06-12-14, 09:02 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
bump

Just this mod to my car.

BTW mine was in the middle position, now it is to the left.
What's your input on this mod ?
Old 06-13-14, 03:41 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by clos430
What's your input on this mod ?
I think the only other person with the tab in the middle position was from France. Mine is a Canadian car. Not sure if the middle position is a Europe and Canada thing or maybe someone just did mine once before. I have had my car for seven years so it would have had to have been done before that. Just saying...
Old 07-27-14, 01:41 PM
ILL05GS
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got done doing this. Turned it to the "max" position. So far I really don't notice much of an improvement. It seems to hold gears a little longer but as far as feel/speed goes it is about the same. From what I read here I need to drive it a few days for changes to take effect. I'll post here if I notice anything new.

For clarification, I DID reset the memory (via disconnecting negative cable). Some Lexus models allow you to do this with a scan tool but it doesn't apply here so I had to reset the ECM memory as well. When you drop the pan you MUST use Toyota 1281 FIPG to reseal. Do not use a pre-formed gasket or other types of sealer unless you're looking for leaks in the future.
Old 07-27-14, 03:36 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

What is a transmission safe way to shorten shirt time? I hate how long it lingers between shifts. And the fact that manually shifting requires about a 2-3 second anticipation. Are there tested and safe shift kits?
Old 07-27-14, 03:54 PM
ILL05GS
Driver

Originally Posted by RoMiLex
What is a transmission safe way to shorten shirt time? I hate how long it lingers between shifts. And the fact that manually shifting requires about a 2-3 second anticipation. Are there tested and safe shift kits?
Without modifying the transmission itself or electronics the only way is solid engine/trans/driveshaft mounts and remove the rubber donut on the shaft. As far as I've found there isn't much out there for the 5-speed. Your best bet is take it to someone who knows what they are doing and have a custom valve body made. That doesn't fix any reliability issues if you are pushing big power though, and it doesn't make life any easier for your internal transmission parts. I feel like we're pretty screwed unless you swap transmissions. In which case you're looking at a permanent check engine light.
Old 07-29-14, 07:39 AM
RoMiLex
Driver

Originally Posted by ILL05GS
Without modifying the transmission itself or electronics the only way is solid engine/trans/driveshaft mounts and remove the rubber donut on the shaft. As far as I've found there isn't much out there for the 5-speed. Your best bet is take it to someone who knows what they are doing and have a custom valve body made. That doesn't fix any reliability issues if you are pushing big power though, and it doesn't make life any easier for your internal transmission parts. I feel like we're pretty screwed unless you swap transmissions. In which case you're looking at a permanent check engine light.
Well, I know faster shifts leads to less slippage.Less slippage means less transmission heat. Less heat is good for a transmission.
Its hard to believe that no one makes a shift kit or aftermarket valve body for these transmissions. I know that Mustangs had a shift kit modification called a J-Mod where you take the existing valve body separator plate and carefully drill out specific holes just a tad bigger. Then remove the shift dampening springs. Once its back together there are no problems because its all stock parts.
Old 07-29-14, 09:03 AM
ILL05GS
Driver

Originally Posted by RoMiLex
Well, I know faster shifts leads to less slippage.Less slippage means less transmission heat. Less heat is good for a transmission.
You're forgetting that the clutch slippage takes away torque applied to the gears. Less slippage causes more stress on the gears instead of the clutch plates. A good ATF, such as Amsoil's, can take the heat all day long so heat isn't a really big factor.
Old 07-29-14, 11:28 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I has this installed about a month ago. Makes the shifts night and day quicker and firmer.
They drill the main passages to accept more fluid thus more pressure.

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...here-3108.html

Quick Reply: GS430 Better Tranny shifts just by adjusting dial?