Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MAPECU3, PPE headers dyno

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 04:18 PM
msu4466
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truly stoked to see the end results.
Old 10-06-11, 07:08 PM
pepos
Driver

Congrats man.
MAPECU guys made me a custom 2,5 meters harness to put the box inside the cabin of the car.
Where did you install yours?
Are you going to install the AFR calibrator also?
Did the car start with the base map?
Why you had problems with the timing?
Pulling some degrees at high rpm makes the engine rev more freely.
Our engine's knock sensor does a great job on timing adjustments but on open loop the MAPECU3 is able to do the trick.
I have also installed a water/meth kit that helps a lot.
Congrats on your project again and hope that more guys will follow.
Old 10-07-11, 05:52 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pepos
Congrats man.
MAPECU guys made me a custom 2,5 meters harness to put the box inside the cabin of the car.
Where did you install yours?
inside the cabin as well. My guy at the shop extended the wires by solder.

Are you going to install the AFR calibrator also?
Yes, I need to find some time to install this wideband. I just finished polishing up the lower plenum,cleaning the 85k worth of gunk off the valves and seafoamed the upper plastic portion by hand with a long flexible brush. It feels REAL strong today.

Did the car start with the base map?
I'm really not sure what was necessary to get it to start. I wasnt there that day. I think mapecu may have sent him something to start with? I'm really not sure.

Why you had problems with the timing?
Pulling some degrees at high rpm makes the engine rev more freely.
Our engine's knock sensor does a great job on timing adjustments but on open loop the MAPECU3 is able to do the trick.
It wasnt so much we had problems adjusting the timing, its that we were short on time. He and I both agreed that we would just do the air/fuel for the race the next day and then later go back and tweak it some more. I need to install my wideband and get it hooked up to mapecu so I'll be sure to be in the safe zone and able to log it.

THanks pepos, I appreciate all of your advice.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 10-07-11 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-12-11, 12:52 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

So I've seafoamed my manifold, polished up the lower plenum and installed my wideband into the mapecu. According to my logs, I'm still running about 11.4 at redline. I dunno if the shops afr reading was too high or what, but I'm gonna schedule another time for a tuning session to see what we can get.
Old 05-02-12, 04:13 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any updates?
Old 05-02-12, 09:36 PM
Kingdavid
Driver

What's next man? I'll be trying to go for this mod after I get my Low CR pistons installed and work out any bugs they carry with them. Would you mind If I bugged you for advice on this when it's time?
Old 05-03-12, 05:49 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I've added 4 degrees of timing since the last dyno and played with the air/fuel on the street and it sticks near 11.9-12 at redline which is fine with me. It feels stronger, I just havent had time to go dyno and prove that 300whp is in there

Most of my expendable income has gone towards setting up the business, but I am torn between sticking it out and trying to be the fastest N/A or just going for it with a rear mount turbo and custom pistons, etc.

If I go N/A, Id have the plenum and whatever portions of the head I could ported and polished professionally. I did some polishing work but, it isnt great. I'd probably get real lightweight tires and drags, a carbon fiber driveshaft, and basically weight reduction where I could but still maintaining some sort of Lexus feel.

ORRRR

I keep everything how it is and let my car be down for probably months and months on end while pistons and rear mount turbos and $$$$$ goes flying out the window.......

In all actuality, I'll probably just have to let my car be for now. The business is much more important and I'm on the cusp of really kicking it off. I've got new products for the Lexus GX470 including a roof rack and full steel plate bumper, so I am giving it all I've got.

Who knows, I might sneak in here and announce my 300whp claim one day.....
Old 05-03-12, 12:01 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I'm used to seeing low 11's for the A/F on boosted car...but is 11.9-12.0 healthy for our N/A motors? Curious now to see what a totally stock A/F might be on these things. Sold my Innovate WB along with all my Honda turbo stuff a while back...wishing I had kept that WB setup.
Old 05-03-12, 12:26 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

totally stock usually dips into the 10's at about 6000rpm

I'd say 12.5 is about as high as you could go. I've been running 12~ for more than 6 months with absolutely no problems.
Old 05-03-12, 12:37 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I'm used to seeing low 11's for the A/F on boosted car...but is 11.9-12.0 healthy for our N/A motors? Curious now to see what a totally stock A/F might be on these things. Sold my Innovate WB along with all my Honda turbo stuff a while back...wishing I had kept that WB setup.
I spiked 12.1, .2, .3, .4 a few times holding 7psi WOT and always let off the throttle because those numbers on just about any car seem like the line drawn in the sand. From my observations the car does like lean...but lean in my eyes is 12 a/f max. Anything over that knock seemed to follow and the stock ecu would completely freak and pull all power.

I've moved back to 5.5psi on the stock ecu and rarely do I see a 12 a/f...but I also dont get rediculously rich 10s either. Its a happy median but some type of EM is in order to really get gains from whatever setup anyone is running on this car. Makes me want to try the map ecu but I just dont have the time to play much right now!

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
totally stock usually dips into the 10's at about 6000rpm

I'd say 12.5 is about as high as you could go. I've been running 12~ for more than 6 months with absolutely no problems.
Do you ever knock!?!?!?
Old 05-03-12, 12:50 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

no knock ever. This motor likes it lean.

yeah, I'd be concerned with a 12.5 under boost too, but N/A.....she can handle it.

I've seen it hit 13~ in 2nd and 3rd and it just keeps getting stronger and stronger. When I get my new tablet I'll do a few runs so y'all can see the logging of the MAPECU

Last edited by 06isDriver; 05-03-12 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 12:54 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

no knock ever. This motor likes it lean.

yeah, I'd be concerned with a 12.5 under boost too, but N/A.....she can handle it.
Thats pretty sweet!
Try meth on the NA motor ??!
Old 05-03-12, 12:57 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I dont do drugs......
Old 05-03-12, 03:02 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

With the high compression, yeah...the motor will like a leaner burn. But there's a limit; just hope you don't cross it! Lol

Good to hear that your other projects are coming together! GL!
Old 05-05-12, 07:08 PM
Kingdavid
Driver

I've added 4 degrees of timing since the last dyno and played with the air/fuel on the street and it sticks near 11.9-12 at redline which is fine with me. It feels stronger, I just havent had time to go dyno and prove that 300whp is in there

Most of my expendable income has gone towards setting up the business, but I am torn between sticking it out and trying to be the fastest N/A or just going for it with a rear mount turbo and custom pistons, etc.

If I go N/A, Id have the plenum and whatever portions of the head I could ported and polished professionally. I did some polishing work but, it isnt great. I'd probably get real lightweight tires and drags, a carbon fiber driveshaft, and basically weight reduction where I could but still maintaining some sort of Lexus feel.

ORRRR

I keep everything how it is and let my car be down for probably months and months on end while pistons and rear mount turbos and $$$$$ goes flying out the window.......

In all actuality, I'll probably just have to let my car be for now. The business is much more important and I'm on the cusp of really kicking it off. I've got new products for the Lexus GX470 including a roof rack and full steel plate bumper, so I am giving it all I've got.

Who knows, I might sneak in here and announce my 300whp claim one day.....

Lol LC pistons come cheaper than you'd think.

Quick Reply: MAPECU3, PPE headers dyno