Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 07:50 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Blitz Throttle controller and you definitely feel the pedal activate much quicker. It has economy mode and mode 2 and mode 3. I like it.
Old 12-05-11, 03:38 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Get a throttle controller to change the response curve. Most new Toyota/Lexus models are not linear, and the first bit of throttle pedal travel doesn't equate to the same amount of actual throttle plate opening. Something like a Blitz or Pivot 3Drive throttle controller will change this a lot. I had a Pivot in my old Corolla XRS and had intended on putting it in my IS250, but couldn't find a good spot to mount it, so I ended up selling it to a friend. They're pretty neat units.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Sffd103
I have a Blitz Throttle controller and you definitely feel the pedal activate much quicker. It has economy mode and mode 2 and mode 3. I like it.
I was reading about the throttle controller and it seems to suggest that it tricks the computer to thinking the throttle is at a different position than it actually is. I don't really need that. Much like how a clutch pedal has a dead space, it seems like the throttle has the same thing. I don't know the actual length of travel, but it feels like the first 2mm does nothing. The engine doesn't react. Does that make sense? I don't need to change the slope of the throttle response curve, I need to change where the throttle response curve starts. Imagine an x-y graph. The throttle response curve starts at x=3. I want it to start at x=0.
Old 12-05-11, 03:41 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

On another note, I still have this annoying squeaking noise with the Spec 2 sprung clutch. Anyone else have this issue? I'm not sure if I've driven 500 city miles yet as I drove down to LA and that was a lot of highway miles.

The squeak is most noticeable when starting from a stop. It's when the clutch is trying to engage and the speed of the engine and the speed of the drivetrain are significantly different (say, 3000 RPM).
Old 12-05-11, 04:02 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
I was reading about the throttle controller and it seems to suggest that it tricks the computer to thinking the throttle is at a different position than it actually is. I don't really need that. Much like how a clutch pedal has a dead space, it seems like the throttle has the same thing. I don't know the actual length of travel, but it feels like the first 2mm does nothing. The engine doesn't react. Does that make sense? I don't need to change the slope of the throttle response curve, I need to change where the throttle response curve starts. Imagine an x-y graph. The throttle response curve starts at x=3. I want it to start at x=0.
That is what it changes, that "dead" section at the start of the pedal's travel will be reduced/eliminated.

Jeff
Old 12-05-11, 04:37 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah, when I have it on level 3 I "Feel" like I'm driving a 350
Old 12-08-11, 04:06 PM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

I am in considering the fidanza flywheel myself. I have ordered the blitz throttle control unit and wanted to go with the f sport clutch. Will it work well with the fidanza flywheel and will it improve my driveability from the standard? Anyone know of any drawbacks with this combination? Thanks in advance
Old 12-08-11, 07:16 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

I'm pretty sure the F-Sport clutch disc is unsprung like the factory one. I would look into a sprung disc if I were you.

Jeff
Old 12-08-11, 09:31 PM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

I'm pretty sure the F-Sport clutch disc is unsprung like the factory one. I would look into a sprung disc if I were you.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I really appreciate the feedback! If I may ask why sprung? Sorry if I missed a thread regarding that. Mikeho's projects and comments where not to clear to me (a little confusing at times regarding this matter). Thanks again to all!
Old 12-15-11, 08:35 PM
autox250
Driver

The trans is bulletproof, its the same part number as the tacoma sr5 6-spd... It can handle more torque than the 350s 2GR...
Also the unsprung clutch is no longer available, now lexus superceeded it with a sprung clutch and revised trans. Theres a TSIB for those of you in pwrtrain warranty. The trans has a reinforced input shaft and counterweights on shift lever mechanism. I just did it to my car and holy crap is it different...
Old 12-16-11, 08:07 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Jeff
The F-Sport clutch is (was?) unsprung. The OEM clutch disc is also unsprung.

Originally Posted by SiskoMax77
Thanks Jeff, I really appreciate the feedback! If I may ask why sprung? Sorry if I missed a thread regarding that. Mikeho's projects and comments where not to clear to me (a little confusing at times regarding this matter). Thanks again to all!
Basically, any engine has vibrations from the controlled explosions that make it work. In the IS, the flywheel is a dual-mass version that provides dampening that keeps the vibrations from reaching the transmission.

A single-mass flywheel such as the one from Fidanza is lighter, but provides no dampening. That's why you get a sprung clutch instead of an unsprung clutch. The springs in the disc provide dampening (less than the dual-mass flywheel, but still some) which helps. I had an unsprung disc in the first attempt of this aftermarket install and it caused damage to the transmission. I don't know what happened exactly, but the symptom was that I could only disengage the clutch some of the time. And then when I wanted to engage back in 1st gear, I needed to push it into 3rd first before going into 1st. Apparently, the leverage the shifter has to go into 3rd is stronger than 1st (physics of angles and leverage), so it was necessary to disengage the clutch from the transmission.

Originally Posted by autox250
The trans is bulletproof, its the same part number as the tacoma sr5 6-spd... It can handle more torque than the 350s 2GR...
Also the unsprung clutch is no longer available, now lexus superceeded it with a sprung clutch and revised trans. Theres a TSIB for those of you in pwrtrain warranty. The trans has a reinforced input shaft and counterweights on shift lever mechanism. I just did it to my car and holy crap is it different...
Wow. After 5 years? I wish they had that in the first place. My powertrain warranty has been gone for about 30K now (we only get up to 70K for our warranty). I'm still up in the air if this modification is worth it, but if it's now a sprung clutch, then I would definitely recommend the F-Sport sprung clutch over the Spec Stage 2 clutch.

The squeakiness is slowly disappearing, but it comes and goes. I think I've been driving about 800 city miles now, so it's taking longer than I would like. The feel is still good, but the squeak is from the Spec clutch. If you Google "Spec clutch squeak" you'll see results all over the place. Wish I knew beforehand.

Can someone confirm the change to the clutch or provide the TSIB? Also, AFAIK, the F-Sport clutch is still unsprung. See the pics here: http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2010/1804.html

Last edited by mikeho; 12-16-11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-16-11, 10:31 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

The unsprung clutch is still available, and it is still being used in 2012's, there is a TSB to replace it with a sprung disc and to replace the transmission itself, but the cars are still using the unsprung disc, and unless you do the TSB, if you order a new disc, it will still be unsprung.

I haven't had mine replaced in my car yet, but I probably will next time I get it serviced.

Lexus says to replace the transmission along with the disc together if you're changing to the sprung disc. I don't know what's different about the new transmission.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 12-16-11 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-16-11, 12:16 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

anybody have a copy of the tsb to replace the disc to a sprung disc? i'm interested in seeing what it says.

Originally Posted by mikeho
On another note, I still have this annoying squeaking noise with the Spec 2 sprung clutch. Anyone else have this issue? I'm not sure if I've driven 500 city miles yet as I drove down to LA and that was a lot of highway miles.

The squeak is most noticeable when starting from a stop. It's when the clutch is trying to engage and the speed of the engine and the speed of the drivetrain are significantly different (say, 3000 RPM).
I never experienced a squeaking noise from the spec stage 2 sprung clutch when i had it installed. i did experience a sqeak/squeal noise coming from the alternator. it would happen when starting from a stop while i slipped the clutch. it would also occur every few seconds if i turned on the a/c.
Old 12-18-11, 08:48 PM
autox250
Driver

The tsb is for a noise when pressing the pedal. The trans has a reinforced input shaft and weights in the shift linkage at the back. Ill take pics on thursday when its up on the lift. I have the tsib in pdf format for who ever wants it.
FSport only provides a diff pressure plate, the disc is still the same thou
Old 12-18-11, 09:53 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Please do, I've been contemplating getting the TSB done. I've heard the noise when releasing the pedal that is being addressed in the TSB, however it's only happened a handful of times, and I don't really feel comfortable with my car being ripped apart by some random tech at Lexus (no offense to them) without good cause.

The sprung disc and updated transmission is almost good enough cause, but if you can post pictures showing the actual differences in the new transmission, that would go (potentially) a long way towards convincing me to get it done.

Jeff
Old 12-18-11, 10:15 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd like to see the TSB pdf if possible.

Quick Reply: IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review