Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

can I use new ATF fluid on a 99 GS3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 10:50 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Well the guy showed me two fluids I believe the toyota one was the other one he said was for newer models. I remember buying the one that didn't even say toyota it was just some brand probably the dexron. When I called the guy said I'm only supposed to use the older one. Your saying that u have a 98 and u use the toyota T IV with no problem? Did you change over to it like me or you were always using that because its very weird the dealer sold me the old one but yours sold you the new one. Sorry for all the questions I'm just super paranoid about killing the tranny like I did in my last car which costed me thousands
Old 08-16-11, 10:52 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

By newer synthetic I mean when the guy showed me both and asked me which one I said what came with my car and he said the cheaper one so I chose that one not knowing its eworse. I asked him what the difference is between the two he said the newer one is more synthetic for the newer transmissions. I guess by synthetic it means less prone to friction and heat just like with oil?
Old 08-17-11, 02:34 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

T-IV is NOT synthetic fluid. It's just basically Toyota's custom mix of ATF that's Dextron III compatible. The new Toyota synthetic fluid is called World Sport, and that stuff is not interchangeable. The T-IV and Toyota Dextron III can be swapped around. The T-IV has extra additives that make the transmission shift smoother. Personally, I like the transmission to be slightly firmer shifting so I use the Dextron III in my cars.
Old 08-17-11, 04:44 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what to tell you anymore. Use what you want but we're supposed to be using Toyota T-IV. Just because they work at Toyota doesn't mean they know everything.
Old 08-17-11, 09:23 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
T-IV is NOT synthetic fluid. It's just basically Toyota's custom mix of ATF that's Dextron III compatible. The new Toyota synthetic fluid is called World Sport, and that stuff is not interchangeable. The T-IV and Toyota Dextron III can be swapped around. The T-IV has extra additives that make the transmission shift smoother. Personally, I like the transmission to be slightly firmer shifting so I use the Dextron III in my cars.
Where did you cited this information? Just curious.
Old 08-17-11, 11:42 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Where did you cited this information? Just curious.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1217344

just googled around n found this
Old 08-19-11, 10:53 AM
fangtl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are asking about the OEM fluid, then Type WS (World Standard) is the synthetic, and Toyota never backspec'd it.
Old 08-19-11, 12:13 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Whoops, yeah I meant World Standard(not Sport) lol.
EDIT: I have a few friends that are Lexus techs and they are no so convinced that the WS is a lifetime fluid. The fluid has no fill/drian interval like on the older D-III/T-IV fluids. They have done some drain and refills on the newer Lexus that use the WS fluid and they say at 100k the fluid on some of the cars is pitch black. Probably not the best thing for the trans lol.

As for Dex-III and T-IV, I've used them interchangeably for years now with no issues and I've logged a TON of miles. So have the many other people I've built transmissions for. Again, I use the Dextron III because it has less friction modifiers so it allows for a slightly firmer shift, and it's also cheaper than T-IV. Just remember to change your fluid more often accordingly to to how hard you drive the car.

If you're really that concerned and don't want to deviate a dot from the spec, look in your vehicle users manual to check the spec or the dipstick tube on your transmission and use the fluid specified.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 08-19-11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 12:22 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Jeff, I don't mean to get off topic, but can you use T-IV with Dex-III for the powersteering? Are they interchangeable?
Old 11-17-11, 12:04 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Friend of mine who works at Lexus dealer (technican) says they do not recommend using the new type fluid in the older trans, only to use the fluid recommended when new in those trans. No "upgrades" if you will.
Old 11-19-11, 03:04 PM
kponti
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have seen and read both from online and some Lexus service manuals your technician friend is quite wrong. Just about all the trans that use Dex II should now use type-IV.
The T-IV fluid is replacing just about all the the Dex II and Dex III fluids.
Old 11-20-11, 10:30 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Use Toyota T-IV. Old spec is Dextron III. Both are interchangeable.
Actually old spec is T2.

ALWAYS use Toyota T- type fluid.
Old 11-20-11, 11:21 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

This is from this website:

"WS fluid is usually more than double the cost of the standard ATF. It's found the Toyota Prius 2004-2009, and 2010-2012 (second and third generation). Toyota also uses WS fluid in their modern transmissions, typically from 2007 and newer, but it can be present in older cars. It CANNOT be used in place of the older T-IV fluid. Toyota typically considers this a "no-service-necessary" fluid. We have found it black under "normal" operating conditions after 30k miles, but without any driveability symptoms. We typically recommend a 15k interval for service. Some transmissions that utilize this fluid are not equipped with a dipstick. As a result, you have to service the fluid with an exchanger (machine flush), or by a similar procedure involving disconnecting cooler lines."

http://www.artsautomotive.com/about/78-genuine-fluids

This was in reference to using WS fluid in place of T4.

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Friend of mine who works at Lexus dealer (technican) says they do not recommend using the new type fluid in the older trans, only to use the fluid recommended when new in those trans. No "upgrades" if you will.
The above website agrees with my friend, not sure what you read, please elaborate.

Originally Posted by kponti
From what I have seen and read both from online and some Lexus service manuals your technician friend is quite wrong. Just about all the trans that use Dex II should now use type-IV.
The T-IV fluid is replacing just about all the the Dex II and Dex III fluids.

Last edited by RamAirRckt; 11-20-11 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-20-11, 02:29 PM
kponti
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
This is from this website:

"WS fluid is usually more than double the cost of the standard ATF. It's found the Toyota Prius 2004-2009, and 2010-2012 (second and third generation). Toyota also uses WS fluid in their modern transmissions, typically from 2007 and newer, but it can be present in older cars. It CANNOT be used in place of the older T-IV fluid. Toyota typically considers this a "no-service-necessary" fluid. We have found it black under "normal" operating conditions after 30k miles, but without any driveability symptoms. We typically recommend a 15k interval for service. Some transmissions that utilize this fluid are not equipped with a dipstick. As a result, you have to service the fluid with an exchanger (machine flush), or by a similar procedure involving disconnecting cooler lines."

http://www.artsautomotive.com/about/78-genuine-fluids

This was in reference to using WS fluid in place of T4.

The above website agrees with my friend, not sure what you read, please elaborate.
Actually I am talking about the Dex II and III fluids only! They are to be replaced with T4 fluid. The WS fluid is very different and for very specific transmissions in newer cars.
This OP question is on the 99GS, they use Dex III and can (and should) be replaced with Type IV
Old 11-20-11, 04:29 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Isn't T4 the OEM fluid? I thought I read that somewhere.

Is T4 considered better than Dex IIIH?

I am running Dex 6 in my Buick, OEM was Dex III, but the specs on the Dex 6 are much better and the trans didn't change significantly if at all from 2000 to 2005, somewhere Dex 6 started showing up so I figured that would be safe.

What is so diff on the WS fluid?

Quick Reply: can I use new ATF fluid on a 99 GS3?