Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC or NOS, what to do???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 12:07 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

N2O..

SC on our car isn't very reasonable. $5000 for 50WHP vs $1500 for ~50WHP
Old 07-28-11, 12:42 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

How come turbo isn't an opinion? LOL!

Okay now, for the "budget" I think you have right now...nitrous will be right up your alley. I don't any SC owners on here can say they've spent < $5k on their setups.

Now, back to what you just said about liking 0-60...with nitrous? Errrr, do you expect to maintain traction in those lower gears while spraying? Either you'll be spinning with the T/C off, or you'll hit electronically-limited T/C when you have it on...due to slip. Nitrous is a straight-away toy used in higher gears...at least when not at the track.

Everyone, what is the known highest HP port someone has used and successfully ran on their 350s for any extended amount of time? 75 perhaps?
Old 07-28-11, 01:46 PM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gville, HKS said you can really only feel the sprays in 1st and 2nd gear. I could def do a SC for around 4.5k but i just really dont feel like throwing about that kind of money.
Old 07-28-11, 08:06 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are some mounting options i found on a Z4 Forum:
Attached Thumbnails SC or NOS, what to do???-sidemount1.jpg   SC or NOS, what to do???-sidemount2.jpg   SC or NOS, what to do???-tirewell2.jpg   SC or NOS, what to do???-tirewell3.jpg  
Old 07-28-11, 08:48 PM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the ideas, not sure if ima hide it or just mount it on one side of the trunk
Old 07-28-11, 11:00 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I like how it is concealed but don't you have to turn the nitrous on and off everytime you want to use it if you don't have a remote valve opener?
Old 07-29-11, 10:50 AM
Gville350

Yeah, of course you'll feel it mostly in 1st and 2nd...but will it hook? Maybe at the track...but even with new BFG KDWs I chirp 1st if I stab it (totally stock).

I would lean towards a "hidden" spare tire well mounting...much cleaner, and since most people have roadside assitance a spare really wouldn't be needed.
Old 08-04-11, 09:03 PM
ahnjae
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
HKS, i just want to make sure i will be doing 0 damage to my engine with a 50 shot, like i said i have the zex kit with the WOT switch and ill be buying the window switch and fuel PSI switch, with all these will i def. be safe in reguards to my motor, and i seriously do not plan on abusing it at all, just here and there and im totally a 0-60 guy, dont care about much more than that...

All things, keeping in mind this is my DD, would you do this to a DD?
Not sure why you would need a window switch on an auto trans unless you are planning to paddle shift? The switch is used so your not spraying if you accidentally hit the rev limiter in gears causing fuel cut off as you would do in a manual trans.

I have the wet Zex kit on my celica with 11.5:1 compression and used to run a 75 shot multiple times no problem. I used 103 octane and spark plugs 2 steps colder as a bandaid to prevent detonation. The Zex kit is really nice and can vouch for it.

Last edited by ahnjae; 08-04-11 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 09:18 PM
ahnjae
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
Ok im going back and forth, should I install the LMS SC or a 50 shot Zex wet kit? Keep in mind this is my DD..... Just wondering what others would do, I know most will prob say SC but keep in mind the SC will end up costing me around 3k more....
Without thinking about money and Since this is your DD, I would go with Nitrous. If your worried about your motor, having an SC always attached to your drive belt will cause constant strain to your motor unless you can drive around in vacuum all the time. With nitrous, you wont be using it all the time and will require for you to actually open the bottle and flip the switch to get extra power instead of just stepping on the pedal.
Old 08-05-11, 03:31 PM
Gville350

He is selling the Zex kit, so no need to post any longer.
Old 08-11-11, 06:18 PM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Pepos dyno numbers are completely BS though.

Even his stock numbers don't match up with normal.

I don't doubt anything he has said, but I have major doubts about the place he gets his car dynoed

Especially given his numbers don't match up with the hp-per-psi numbers of anyone else who has done/tested a supercharger on the 2IS.

Everyone else runs 5-6 psi and picks up 50 or so hp... which won't catch you up to an IS-F.

and that's usually for 5-6k.

Adding a tuned MAPECU setup and meth injection spikes the cost up further (and the complexity a fair bit too)

As to your cost #s... if your IS is only worth 20k there's something wrong with it... a good low-miles IS350 should be in the high 20s/low 30s still. Looking on autotrader I see an IS-F with 35k miles for $36k... another with 27k miles for $37k...2 more for 38k...

If you can get an IS-F for 36-38k and sell your IS350 for 30k, you're paying 6-8k for a better transmission and 108 hp... and your warranty remains in place (with the option for extended)

Versus paying 5-6k for a bolt on SC for 50 hp and the same transmission...and no warranty on powertrain if anything goes wrong.
All i know is that i'm running smoothly for some 25000 miles now and i'm way way ahead from a stock 250 on the street.
I'm not very fast from 0 to 60 but after that and especially on 3rd gear and on, not even the new Golf R can't beat me.
The S/C kit totally transforms the car and it's well worth the money you spent.
There is no complexity at all with the water/meth install, just 3 hours labor.
Dyno numbers are just numbers and each dyno machine has it's own algorithms and corrections to present the results and it's only a refference to see differences between the mods.
My stock reading was 192 BHP on the TAT Dyno and 211 BHP on the DASTEK one.
After the full exhaust install my readings were 203 on TAT and 240 on the DASTEK. 11 BHP gains vs 37 BHP.
Bottom line is that you see the real gains on the street and not in numbers and paper charts. These are just for refference.
In my opinion The S/C kit is the way to go especially in a 350.
As for safety i'm a blood sucker behind the wheel and i beleive that if there was something wrong it should allready happen.
Once again ARMA and RGM reached 340 BHP on a 250 engine by adding extra fuel.I just added methanol and gained 9 BHP with a single injector.
Arma has added four fuel injectors and in open loop you can adjust the mixture safely without any fear that the stock ECU will enter limp mode.
I'm beggining to beleive that KURTZ is a LEXUS dealer trying to sell as much as he can.
Our engines and especially the 2gr with it's forged rods are diamonds in terms of technology and endurance.
VW squeezes out 170 BHP from a 1400 cc FSI motor and you can go 200 BHP with just a reprogramming and there are a lot of guys that blew their stock motors, how many 2gr or 4gr engines blew up?
Bottom line is that few of us have proven that it can be done and the rest of you don't follow.If there is no demand then you don't have a market and if there is no market the prices are high.
When i reached TOM's to ask him make me an S/C kit for the 4gr engine and European ECU 3 years ago the answer was that he needed a group buy of 10 kits and offered a very good discount to do it.
Demand and supply is the basic rule of the market to lower the prices.
Go to Steve from LMS from instance with a 20 kits order and i bet that he will offer a very good price piggy included.
I live across the Atlantic with no financial motives and i'm just driven from my love for this car until i see the 3IS at least.
And as we say here in Greece no Money no Honey.
Old 08-11-11, 06:52 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pepos
I'm beggining to beleive that KURTZ is a LEXUS dealer trying to sell as much as he can.

Bottom line is that few of us have proven that it can be done and the rest of you don't follow.If there is no demand then you don't have a market and if there is no market the prices are high.
No, he's just rational. The reason no one's following you is that it's irrational to spend upwards of $6,000 to add complexity, jeopardize any existing warranty, reduce the lifespan of the car, and go to the trouble and risk of installing a supercharger to gain 50 hp when you can get a much faster car with a warranty and better transmission in an IS-F for little more than what you'd have spent on the kit.

The decision to supercharge an IS250 makes even less sense - the price premium for an IS350 is easily less than the $6k+ you pay for a kit, and you get far more power.

Last edited by calvin2376; 08-11-11 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 11:42 PM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
No, he's just rational. The reason no one's following you is that it's irrational to spend upwards of $6,000 to add complexity, jeopardize any existing warranty, reduce the lifespan of the car, and go to the trouble and risk of installing a supercharger to gain 50 hp when you can get a much faster car with a warranty and better transmission in an IS-F for little more than what you'd have spent on the kit.

The decision to supercharge an IS250 makes even less sense - the price premium for an IS350 is easily less than the $6k+ you pay for a kit, and you get far more power.
It was just a teasing about Kurtz.
Agreed and i would have said nothing if for the past 3,5 years didn't see at least one post per month asking the same question.
If i was in the states i would Supergharge the 350 and it's not only 50 rwhp it's 70 plus.
If i could buy an ISF here i would tickle it also.
Boost is boost and i love it.