Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 06:37 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?

Ok, so I removed all spark plugs one at a time a took (2) pictures of each to show condition.

Just some background information...
for the longest time I "was" getting a PO171 (bank 1 too lean) this is while my car was tuned to relatively lean numbers (I think around or close to low 13). My mechanic said it was one or more of my O2 sensors so I replaced all 4 O2 sensors, changed all 8 spark plugs and replaced my MAF sensor as well while I was at it; CEL and PO171 gone and car was running great. Fast Forward another year (about 1.5 years ago) got my headers installed and got my car re-tuned. A couple of months later got a PO430 (Catalyst inefficiency). So, I replaced my cats with aftermarket ones; CEL and PO 430 went away and car was running great again. Now, just about 2 weeks ago I get a PO330 (bank 1 knock sensor fail); could this be because I am running too lean?

You will see the following pics of my spark plugs; please diagnose for me. It almost looks like I am running too rich if anything!? I am really confused. The car also eats gas like a PIG! Please help and let me know what you think. FYI, these are Torque Master spark plugs installed new around 25K miles (2 yrs) ago.

Oh, I almost forgot Bank 1 Cyl 3 spark plugs was VERY loose; why (how) did this happen? There was also another one that was pretty loose; Bank 1 Cyl 5.

Bank 1 Cyl 1
Bank 1 Cyl 3
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-1-1.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-1-1a.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-1-3.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-1-3a.jpg  

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 06-13-11 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-13-11, 06:39 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Bank 1 Cyl 5
Bank 1 Cyl 7
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-1-5.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-1-5a.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-1-7.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-1-7a.jpg  
Old 06-13-11, 06:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Bank 2 Cyl 2
Bank 2 Cyl 4
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-2-2.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-2-2a.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-2-4.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-2-4a.jpg  
Old 06-13-11, 06:41 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Bank 2 Cyl 6
Bank 2 Cyl 8
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-2-6.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-2-6a.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-2-8.jpg   Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?-2-8a.jpg  
Old 06-13-11, 08:20 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

hmm.. looks like they have been used.

hehe jk .

cant really help much BUT they pretty much look like my plugs after i removed em outta my boosted GS4.. (minus the oil)
Old 06-13-11, 09:57 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Yeah, I don't know why I have oil on my plugs. Strangely, the car doesn't burn an ounce of oil...ever!
Old 06-13-11, 09:57 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I am at my wits end...any other suggestions or ideas as to how my engine is performing after looking at the pics of my plugs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-13-11, 02:54 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that is quite a bit of oil the plugs. I does look like your running rich though. It would explain the gas hog. Im thinking maybe the spark plug seals on the valve covers may be bad. I replaced all of mine when I had my valve covers powder coated when I did my motor job. Car had 175k when I did that, but none of the seals looked bad. There not really easy to change.
Also looks like you've got some blow by. Look at the bottom side or your oil cap to see if it looks like you have gritty oil build up & post a pic of that too.

Last edited by spdrcr771; 06-13-11 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-13-11, 09:23 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bloody hell man! That's certainly a bad thing.

perhaps this may help:

Looks like you got some oil getting in that bad larry. A good precaution would be a compression test to make sure the piston rings aren't on their way out (4.7L stroker possibly? ), then I'd possibly think about throwing an oil separator/catch can in the PCV line and see if it helps. It's not blown yet, but that 1UZ sucks a lot of CFM and it's not far fetched that it'd draw a bunch of oil into the combustion chamber.
Old 06-14-11, 05:31 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
bloody hell man! That's certainly a bad thing.

perhaps this may help:

Looks like you got some oil getting in that bad larry. A good precaution would be a compression test to make sure the piston rings aren't on their way out (4.7L stroker possibly? ), then I'd possibly think about throwing an oil separator/catch can in the PCV line and see if it helps. It's not blown yet, but that 1UZ sucks a lot of CFM and it's not far fetched that it'd draw a bunch of oil into the combustion chamber.
Hey, thanks for the help! Looking at my spark plugs though there is no oil by the top of the spark plugs...like by the electrodes; it's all down by the threads - isn't this normal in some cases? I mean aside from this latest knock sensor thing about 3 weeks ago she was driving very strong. I would think if my pistons/rings are on their way out resulting in poor compression my car would be very sluggish - even with all my mods. Now I don't know what to think.

I know this sounds stupid but lets say if 2 or 3 cylinders come back with poor compression results do you HAVE TO replace all pistons and rings or just those cyclinders? Or is it advisable to do them all in one shot. Also, is this going to be THOUSANDS of dollars for a job like this? Please let me know...thanks!
Old 06-14-11, 05:44 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I may get a compression test today. If things come back pretty bad and need new pistons and rings; I WILL GO ALL OUT! I will most likely bring the car to a high performance shop and get everything done at once but not right away; I may have to hold off until Winter or next Spring.

I would probably get high performance pistons/rings, have a couple of other things tweeked, get my supercharger installed and tuned and the tranny beefed up. I estimate close to $8K for all. There's nothing more that I would want than to make my car bulletproof with 400whp with little or no lag. That much power on tap almost instantly (supercharger) when the engine is setup right must be wicked! I am hoping that the pistons and rings are ok though.
Old 06-14-11, 05:45 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

BTW, does anyone know the normal compression range for the cylinders in a 1UZ engine.
Old 06-14-11, 06:46 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No sense tearing the motor apart to just do 2 pistons and put back 6 that will inevitably go bad at some point, especially with boost coming :P

The shop that does the test should know the spec.
Old 06-14-11, 09:22 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
No sense tearing the motor apart to just do 2 pistons and put back 6 that will inevitably go bad at some point, especially with boost coming :P

The shop that does the test should know the spec.
Gotcha...BTW something VERY VERY intersting I found out while researching on the internet. If you have a bad enough oil leaking through your valve cover gaskets (i.e. heavily on your spark plugs like I have) this could wack out your A/F ratios and lean out the car! Perhaps this is what the culprit is. This would make sense if this is the case. My car is already tuned pretty lean but never had issues for almost 2 years.

Perhpas my valve cover gaskets got real bad (recently) and is further leaning out my engine thus causing pre-detonation, leading to a knock, then leading to my knock sensors picking up this knock and eventually failing (well, one of them).

I just called the shop up and I am having the valve cover gaskets replaced as well for good measure.

What do you guys think?

I just want to be done with this. I havn't driven the car for 2 weeks...it's just been sitting in the driveway as I do not feel it is healthy to drive the car when it is riding very bogged down and the CEL is on.
Old 06-14-11, 04:21 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Comprestion should be in the 108-120 range.
2. Lower comprestion due to worn out rings, letting oil into the combustion chamber, is not going to lean out the car. If anything is going to go rich like 2 stroke motor & burn oil.
3. You said valve cover gasket's, to be changed. Not the problem, spark plug seals inside the valve cover.
4. I would check your PCV valve to make sure its not clogged which could cause this kind of oil problem.
5. I really dont see any evidence, in any of the plugs showing lean. The leaner the hotter,& then you start seeing the ceramic alot whiter & white deposits on the electrode. I see carbon, oil , & a very brown insulator.

When is the last time you had your whole Intake Manifold cleaned. Amsoil makes a 3 part kit. This will help with the carbon. I really dont think you have a major issue here, but, some tests will tell.

Quick Reply: Pics of my spark plugs...what's going on?