Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Upgrading My IS300

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 08:59 PM
RafyIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading My IS300

I have a IS300 2001. Just has a K&N filter...

I'm planning to buy these week a Header. what else I could install to improve the power.
NO Turbo, No NOS.... Just all motor!!!

Someone recomended to make a Valve Body Upgrade! What u guys think?
Old 05-09-11, 09:01 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

If you're a DIY'er, you can do a CAI or BFI
Old 05-11-11, 05:48 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jadu
If you're a DIY'er, you can do a CAI or BFI
cold air intake and what is a BFI?
Old 05-11-11, 05:59 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by RafyIS300

I'm planning to buy these week a Header. what else I could install to improve the power.

headers and a cold air intake are good places to start, heres some thing to know first though

if you do both cold air intake and headers I suggest getting a heat shield too, you can get them from lots of places but I personally support FIGS, if you dont know about FIGS just google FIGS engineering, lots of good stuff including hood props to get rid of the stick to hold up the hood, point is that heat soak could be an issue depending on how you run your car, the heat shield sits above the headers and below the intake creating a buffer zone for heat

intake: i went with K&N, i love K&N and I use them in our RX 300 as well so its not only a brand loyalty thing but alsot they test them to make sure you get good performance without causing a check engine light

headers: go for long runners, I went with the OBX short runners and honestly....i dont really care for them, sometimes i almost feel like its worse with those than stock, megan makes some long runners i believe

valve body upgrade: i have not done this myself but from what i understand is you send your off to toyomoto (i think thats who does it) and they modify and and send one back to you. as far as i know this doesnt create any additional power but instead reduces your shift times but im pretty sure this requires you to add a transmission cooler

the information about the valve body im a little sketchy on as i have not done it myself and it has been well over a year since i did the research on it but im sure others can chime in and fix any mistakes i posted

hope this helps
Old 05-11-11, 12:57 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^ well said. BFI = Big F**|<ing intake. search it real quick alot of the SC guys do it rather than get an SRI
Old 05-11-11, 06:13 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

for intakes i would go SRT intake hands down. their intakes with the piggy back black box produces the most HPs. the other option would be an intake but with with an Apexi SAFC

for headers i've seen Mazzuri or someting produce some good numbers. if youre going to swap out the header you might as well swap out the Y pipe and exhaust too, HKS Hyper. doing these headers plus exhaust produce the HP numbers but get ready for LOUD car.

valve body is probably over kill

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
headers and a cold air intake are good places to start, heres some thing to know first though

if you do both cold air intake and headers I suggest getting a heat shield too, you can get them from lots of places but I personally support FIGS, if you dont know about FIGS just google FIGS engineering, lots of good stuff including hood props to get rid of the stick to hold up the hood, point is that heat soak could be an issue depending on how you run your car, the heat shield sits above the headers and below the intake creating a buffer zone for heat

intake: i went with K&N, i love K&N and I use them in our RX 300 as well so its not only a brand loyalty thing but alsot they test them to make sure you get good performance without causing a check engine light

headers: go for long runners, I went with the OBX short runners and honestly....i dont really care for them, sometimes i almost feel like its worse with those than stock, megan makes some long runners i believe

valve body upgrade: i have not done this myself but from what i understand is you send your off to toyomoto (i think thats who does it) and they modify and and send one back to you. as far as i know this doesnt create any additional power but instead reduces your shift times but im pretty sure this requires you to add a transmission cooler

the information about the valve body im a little sketchy on as i have not done it myself and it has been well over a year since i did the research on it but im sure others can chime in and fix any mistakes i posted

hope this helps
toyomoto? lol. theyre out of business

if youre considering valve body upgrade talk to SRT or Peter Farrell Supercars
Old 05-11-11, 06:17 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RafyIS300

"all motor" = honda

FYI outside of the honda world the term all motor isnt used. generally people call it NA or Naturally Aspirated
Old 05-12-11, 05:42 PM
UNOHOO

i didnt think you could get new mazzuris anymore, and it shows how long its been since ive done my research if toyomoto is out of business lol

baadhabit is right about the SRT intake though, from everything ive read in the last 2 years since ive bought the car that particular thing seems dollar for dollar the best upgrade for this car, i will probably go with them eventually myself but ive got my money tied up in my networking business i started back in october...
Old 05-13-11, 06:11 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
i didnt think you could get new mazzuris anymore, and it shows how long its been since ive done my research if toyomoto is out of business lol

baadhabit is right about the SRT intake though, from everything ive read in the last 2 years since ive bought the car that particular thing seems dollar for dollar the best upgrade for this car, i will probably go with them eventually myself but ive got my money tied up in my networking business i started back in october...
yeah toyomoto has been out of business for years now. im going to guess and say since maybe 2007
Old 07-05-11, 05:04 PM
NCis300
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

through some cams in it
Old 11-15-11, 03:58 PM
nyckrs
Driver School Candidate

use this as reference

http://my.is/forums/f88/my-quest-bui...g-28-a-399650/
Old 03-19-12, 07:09 AM
RelaxBrahh
Driver School Candidate

Headers, Brain Crower 264 cams, Adjustable cam gear, Tune =
Old 04-06-12, 06:45 AM
Bezik777
Driver

Do suspension first .....BC cams for sure

http://my.is/forums/f88/official-is3...thread-439348/
Old 04-08-12, 07:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by baadhabit
"all motor" = honda

FYI outside of the honda world the term all motor isnt used. generally people call it NA or Naturally Aspirated
um, no...

"All motor" is a term used in the drag racing world for as long as there have been power adders...
Old 04-09-12, 05:01 AM
Bezik777
Driver

i think what hes referring to is all motor as in theres not alot to be had with bolt ons with 2jzge(others are way better about adding power with bolt ones like Honda) ...I know cause I'm one of the crazes when i was NA i had everything done other then HC pistons .....

Quick Reply: Upgrading My IS300