Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Random Misfire/Rough Idle/Lunging Accel

Old 03-26-12, 09:53 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I love it...
Thanks for the updates.

Here is to many more miles
Old 03-28-12, 05:59 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry to hear about your car, glad you got everything fixed!\
nice write up too!

you know you do have 250+ miles on the car lolol, so its bound to give you a problem here and there
Old 03-28-12, 09:25 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Its all good. Im actually going to keep it until it literally falls apart. Its rust-free and really has very few problems.

Needs new front seats, and bumpers (rock chips, and got rear-ended last year but only screwed up bumper cover)

Might need a few of the rubber grommets where the suspension connects to the body, but thats about it. Its all stuff that cant last forever, just like the motor mounts.

Pushing 254K probably within a week or 2.

Originally Posted by neegroy
sorry to hear about your car, glad you got everything fixed!\
nice write up too!

you know you do have 250+ miles on the car lolol, so its bound to give you a problem here and there
Old 05-18-12, 07:45 PM
YoungkGs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the shop will take my money... i love my gs4 but im,not mechanically inclined lol..same symptoms...except that it actually cut off on me.... i sprayed easy start in the cylinder part at the front..it started then shut back off....i did some research on here then pulled my OCV on the right side,clenaned it and cleared codes...it took me to work fine then VCS & CEL came back on... almost shut off on my way home, now code reading p300,301,3,5 &7...... p1346&p1346(pd)... now im worried... dont know what the next step is.... :-(
Old 05-21-12, 09:40 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

You didnt really describe in detail your symptoms.

Also, take a look at this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...limp-mode.html

Cleaning the OCV does nothing, its a replacement part - I know I tried. The electrical solenoid goes bad while the actual plunger valve never really wears out, its a preassembled valve so when the solenoid goes bad you replace the whole thing.

If that doesnt fix your problem then you have more severe issues. My suggestion: GZo to the very beginning of this thread and read every post and see if your having the same problems, or if yours is different.

Also realize yours is a V-8 with 2 banks of VVTi Cams and OCV Valves where GS300 is a straight 6 with only one side. You have twice the stuff to do.

Originally Posted by YoungkGs4
I guess the shop will take my money... i love my gs4 but im,not mechanically inclined lol..same symptoms...except that it actually cut off on me.... i sprayed easy start in the cylinder part at the front..it started then shut back off....i did some research on here then pulled my OCV on the right side,clenaned it and cleared codes...it took me to work fine then VCS & CEL came back on... almost shut off on my way home, now code reading p300,301,3,5 &7...... p1346&p1346(pd)... now im worried... dont know what the next step is.... :-(
Old 05-30-12, 10:14 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Update: Well...Over a year later and still doing great. I have an intermittent vacuum leak that causes a CEL to come on once in a while, then goes off. I kinda know where its at, but its a pain to get to...charcoal/vapor system. Other than that, car is running perfectly fine without the ACL valve, and no misfires in over a year.

Got 255,500 miles on her now...just keeps on ticking. HAHA
Old 11-24-12, 04:14 PM
GHSER7
Lead Lap

great info. Sounds a bit like my GS right now. Haven't had time to run the codes yet, but idles rough and has the bad acceleration. Looks like a few vacuum lines were capped too that I'll need to look into.
Old 04-12-14, 08:03 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm experiencing very bad misfire from 0RPM - 3,250 RPM

What should I check first?

Change plugs? I did a sea foam treatment recently and has been fine, but maybe it fouled them up?
Old 02-08-15, 05:26 PM
2jzjasonr
Driver School Candidate

Can some one tell me why I had a mis fire in cyl #1 and cyl #4 I replaced with ngk plugs and wires iridium now I have a header back exhaust system and after code reader I am now getting a misfire in cyl #1 and a random mis and o2 sensors... Idk what to do now I was told a head gasket but how is that possible if my temp gauge don't climb and I don't see smoke if some one has an answer since I'm not on here alot please email me slamedcivic412@gmail.com or text or call pleaseeeee 7242121933 I will be able to get better understanding
Old 03-24-15, 09:54 PM
Mastana
Rookie

I been searching for so long to find out what my problem was and i finally found this after such a long time. This is a miracle.

I sent a pm AZ- Dave if you could get back it would be much appreciated thanks
Old 01-20-16, 10:33 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

I havnt logged in for a long time, and thus I apologize for not responding to your PM...did you end up resolving the issue?
Old 01-20-16, 10:38 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

FYI everyone, Car is still trucking along with just over $275K miles. Missing the ACL butterfly valve has presented no problems for emissions or drivability.

Most of the issues Ive had since 2012 have to do with leather finally cracking, radio lights and display going out etc...nothing with the engine or tranny (except a rat that chewed thru my wires last summer Wtf!). I still take this on 1200+ mile trips to places like Albuquerque and stuff, and it still gets 22-24 mpg and shifts great, and still easily goes over 100mph where I can safely do so.

Now I need to find which wires those blasted rats chewed thru that caused my VSC light to go on the other day after 4 days of rain :-( RATS!!!
Old 01-22-16, 03:37 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Im gunna post a link to a diff thread here, because when all else fails, Or better yet, BEFORE spending hundreds of $$$, a lot of us may be dealing with a really simple yet archaic problem: The connectors that plug into the coil packs, and the guy who started the following thread fixed his problem, and Im betting my current problem is the same:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8462479
Old 01-25-16, 09:04 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

OK, checked out my situation Saturday. Connectors were actually good, but what I did find was the problem.

Code I had (when backfires after rain) was Cyl # 6 misfire. Took off the coil, and sure enough, there was drops of water on the top of the spark plug and inside the boot thats part of the coil.

Took out Plug #6, and found the plug was rusted and corroded, evidently because rain water keeps getting back there and sitting...doing its magic.

So, I made a little aluminum cover-shield to keep rain or other water from getting on top of the engine back there, hopefully that does the trick...misfire is gone, and no codes after driving for a few days. :-)
Attached Thumbnails Random Misfire/Rough Idle/Lunging Accel-20160123_131517.jpg  
Old 01-28-16, 08:59 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by az-dave
OK, checked out my situation Saturday. Connectors were actually good, but what I did find was the problem.

Code I had (when backfires after rain) was Cyl # 6 misfire. Took off the coil, and sure enough, there was drops of water on the top of the spark plug and inside the boot thats part of the coil.

Took out Plug #6, and found the plug was rusted and corroded, evidently because rain water keeps getting back there and sitting...doing its magic.

So, I made a little aluminum cover-shield to keep rain or other water from getting on top of the engine back there, hopefully that does the trick...misfire is gone, and no codes after driving for a few days. :-)
but wouldnt a heat durable plastic be a better solution than aluminum over a place conducting electricity since aluminum is a good conductor.

thinking bout one of your other threads i think my used OCV is finally going out lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Random Misfire/Rough Idle/Lunging Accel