Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Problem after Fuel Filter Installed, pls help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 07:56 PM
DRELOC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after Fuel Filter Installed, pls help!!!

I searched for this particular issue but no luck, all i've found was O rings problems. After i installed the filter the car start right up and i was test driving it while looking at my fuel gauge needle that still hasn't moved after a few miles so i figured hmm i probably gained some MPG's. After driving for several more miles i began to worry that the needle is still stuck at it's original place even before fuel filter was changed. So i went to the gas station to fill about $10 or 2.8 gallons worth to see if the needle moves up a bit and unfortunately it doesn't after i cranked start the car I went home and unplug the battery to reset the system maybe i get lucky but still the same. Does anyone ever encounter this issue before? Did i do anything wrong with the install or my fuel gauge sender unit needs to be replace at the same time? Any input or helps is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-11, 08:00 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Don't panic, this happened to me too the first time I did it. The problem was the bobber was stuck on a ledge since I hadn't put it back in at the correct angle.
Old 02-12-11, 09:00 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Don't panic, this happened to me too the first time I did it. The problem was the bobber was stuck on a ledge since I hadn't put it back in at the correct angle.
I did this just today and would agree with this fellow above. Remove your seat and the cover and the screws holding the pump assembly in place. Lift it up and Take a peek inside and make sure the floater is pointing towards the passenger side of the tank. I almost had this problem because when re-installing the pump, the return fuel line inside the tank causes the pump to rotate in a certain direction when the pump is lowered into the tank. You have to use a little pressure to line up the screw holes properly. Take a look at some of the pics posted in other threads to get yourself oriented.
Old 02-12-11, 10:57 PM
DRELOC
Driver

Would you be kind enough to explain to me what you meant by "LEDGE" Thomas? Sorry i'm a bit confused by it.
Old 02-12-11, 11:05 PM
DRELOC
Driver

Originally Posted by breadbeat
I did this just today and would agree with this fellow above. Remove your seat and the cover and the screws holding the pump assembly in place. Lift it up and Take a peek inside and make sure the floater is pointing towards the passenger side of the tank. I almost had this problem because when re-installing the pump, the return fuel line inside the tank causes the pump to rotate in a certain direction when the pump is lowered into the tank. You have to use a little pressure to line up the screw holes properly. Take a look at some of the pics posted in other threads to get yourself oriented.
I'm pretty sure when i lowered the pump assembly into the tank i made sure that the floater pointed to the passenger side direction but you might be right about return fuel line causes the tank to rotate in a different direction because when i tried to installed those 8 screws i had to use a little force to aligned the holes and the suction plate correctly and i completely forgot if i turned it clockwise or counterclockwise. I guess i have to double check again tomorow and i keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-13-11, 06:25 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

If you looked/felt inside the tank, the entire thing isn't flat. I also didn't reinstall it correctly because I didn't point the floater in the direction of the passenger side.
Old 02-13-11, 01:34 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you looked/felt inside the tank, the entire thing isn't flat. I also didn't reinstall it correctly because I didn't point the floater in the direction of the passenger side.
Exactly. The floater is just caught on something, make sure you put in the direction which you pulled it out of.
Old 02-13-11, 08:11 PM
DRELOC
Driver

Problem fixed !!! I reinstalled everything accordingly. I made sure the floater pointed in the right direction and adjusted the return line a bit. I found out that the floater was pressed against the wall of the tank because i might've aligned the plate on the screw holes with a force which was unnecessary to begin with. Thanks guys for your helpful info, the car should gained some MPG's after i perform a couple more maintenance.
Old 02-13-11, 09:33 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job son!