Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Your Thoughts: IS-F Motor in IS250 MT RWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 07:07 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Clearly you haven't driven the F. I would never use the term neutered for the F. And yes, see my sig pic. I've had manuals for more years than a lot of you have been alive and I've driven them since I was 6 years old on the farm. I have a pretty clear idea what the differences are.

I haven't and i'm afraid if I do, I will want an F which I cannot afford. That's why I say cars nowadays are "somewhat " neutered as all cars are not blessed with the ISF tranny or DSG. I've been driving stickshift cars for almost 30 years and this is my first auto tranny car. I guess my attitude/feelings would be more positive if the is350 came with the ISF tranny or DSG that comes with the German cars. I guess I'll stick it out (no pun intended) until I purchase my next car. I usually keep my cars between 10-12 years. I also know the next car I get will most likely be an auto tranny as the clutch is a dying breed which makes sense technology wise. Hopefully the next car will have a tranny that is like the ISF's or DSG.
Old 02-01-11, 07:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by ScKcBc
Drive a C6 Z06, then tell me the ISF doesnt feel neutered. While the ISF is a gorgeous car, it's not nearly the same as having the feel and control of a true 6 spd. I know I will be arguing with my kids about this when I'm older but I love a true manual and I think I always will. I can appreciate all of the technology these days with DSG and Twin Clutch setups and so on, but theres something about a clutch pedal and a shifter that really makes driving enjoyable to me. I hope and pray that the next gen vette only has some sort of auto tranny in the Z06 so I won't feel so bad when I can finally swing a C6 version.
I've driven a C6 Z06 and C5 Z06 and a few others.

What's your point? You're a control freak. Same theme for every driver I've ever met who said "manual is better." Do you still work from a command prompt for everything? Linux junkie? Hate GUIs? Web browsers must annoy you to no end.

No, the IS F doesn't feel neutered. It feels like a four door sedan with very competent track manners. How about we take your C6 or C5 to the airport and pick up mom and pops for the weekend? Nope. Not gonna do that. But I've taken the F to the track, and guess what? The Corvettes were not lapping me! Some of them were getting passed (imagine THAT!) and to top it off, I had a great time.

Maybe you missed the Supra in my sig. Yes, I still own it and still drive it. Yes, it's a hardtop 6 speed, one of less than 400 original USDM turbos with a hardtop. It does not and never will shift as accurately, precisely, and consistently as my F does even after 44 years of driving manuals.

Prefer manuals? Control freak. No doubt.
Old 02-01-11, 08:09 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Nice collection... Time to save up for an F :O)
Old 03-25-11, 02:25 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's your point? You're a control freak. Same theme for every driver I've ever met who said "manual is better." Do you still work from a command prompt for everything? Linux junkie? Hate GUIs? Web browsers must annoy you to no end.

No, the IS F doesn't feel neutered. It feels like a four door sedan with very competent track manners. How about we take your C6 or C5 to the airport and pick up mom and pops for the weekend? Nope. Not gonna do that. But I've taken the F to the track, and guess what? The Corvettes were not lapping me! Some of them were getting passed (imagine THAT!) and to top it off, I had a great time.

Maybe you missed the Supra in my sig. Yes, I still own it and still drive it. Yes, it's a hardtop 6 speed, one of less than 400 original USDM turbos with a hardtop. It does not and never will shift as accurately, precisely, and consistently as my F does even after 44 years of driving manuals.

Prefer manuals? Control freak. No doubt.
Whoa, don't burst a capillary. I think you missed the point of the whole argument. Its not necessarily that manual is better, faster, more fuel efficient, etc etc. Its that its more engaging and more enjoyable (for those who know how to drive it at least). There's a feeling of just you and the road and nothing in between. Why do you think cars like the Mazda MX-5, built around the concept of "Jinba ittai" ("horse and rider in one") sell so well in manual?

By all accounts a car is a FAR superior to a motorcycle. Car's are more spacious, can carry more people and luggage, protect you from the environment, are safer in an accident, etc etc. So why is it that people still buy and ride motorcycles in huge numbers?
Old 03-25-11, 05:16 AM
agarciagmu
Driver School Candidate

I think the cost thing is the most important thing. All the hassle and headache and cost, just go buy an IS-F
Old 03-25-11, 06:04 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendon
Its that its more engaging and more enjoyable (for those who know how to drive it at least). There's a feeling of just you and the road and nothing in between.
Assuming for a second the 250 manual could work with the 2UR, I couldn't say it would be more enjoyable. I think some people overlook the fact that there's such thing as a poor manual transmission, as they're not all made equal-- and that's before you consider what the difference in gearing does to the cars behavior, for example, among other things.

As to feeling connected to the road, I'd start with a different platform, as a good chunk of the 250 design was intended to isolate you from the environment.

To stay on topic, it's more realistic to just trade cars, as stated earlier.
Old 03-25-11, 09:45 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
As to feeling connected to the road, I'd start with a different platform, as a good chunk of the 250 design was intended to isolate you from the environment.
Isn't that the problem with lexus as a whole? I mean, even my old 5-spd 98' Corolla felt significantly more nimble around corners and more agile in the backroads than any Lexus I've driven, and it wasn't even designed to be sporty. Sure it was slow as ***** in the straight line, but I had some awesome fun back in High School in the rural neighborhood I lived in . I've driven my SC400, an SC300, an old ES300, the new ES350, the RX350, and both IS250 AWD and IS350. All of them feel disconnected. I haven't driven the IS-F yet, but reviews don't put it in that great of light compared to the M3 (I've driven both the E46 and E92)
Old 03-25-11, 02:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Brendon
Whoa, don't burst a capillary. I think you missed the point of the whole argument. Its not necessarily that manual is better, faster, more fuel efficient, etc etc. Its that its more engaging and more enjoyable (for those who know how to drive it at least). There's a feeling of just you and the road and nothing in between. Why do you think cars like the Mazda MX-5, built around the concept of "Jinba ittai" ("horse and rider in one") sell so well in manual?

By all accounts a car is a FAR superior to a motorcycle. Car's are more spacious, can carry more people and luggage, protect you from the environment, are safer in an accident, etc etc. So why is it that people still buy and ride motorcycles in huge numbers?
I'm not bursting anything. You can't read emotion in a post. I'm actually laughing at all the suppositions people make about what I said.

I didn't own a car for 8 years. I owned a Honda CB750F, a Honda CB1100F, a Honda 500 Interceptor, and a Yamaha FJ1100 during those 8 years. I did everything I needed to do on two wheels except get to the racetrack (I had friends who had trailers and vans.) Cars are not FAR superior. I could out accelerate just about anything street legal, split lanes and get through traffic jams (in California), and with only a few exceptions, out run cars through the foothills of NorCal without even breaking a sweat - supercar performance for a tiny fraction of the cost with a much higher risk equation. So your motorcycle argument isn't working on me.

Manual shifting is a distraction. It takes time effort and focus away from the three most important tasks in driving - course, heading, and traction. Obviously you're in the camp of "I like this distraction because it makes me feel more connected to what is happening." I don't like any distraction. In my perfect world, I'd never need to change gearing at all because my power source would always put the maximum allowable force on the tires in both acceleration and braking. I could focus exclusively on course, heading, and traction because no matter what or where you are driving, these are the most important concerns.

If it's all about feel, well, there you have it. You want something that feels good. I don't care how it feels as long as I can drive it fast. And you're wrong about the IS F vs the M3 - the 2011 IS F spanks the M3 at VIR - but of course the Ford Mustang GT also spanks the M3 at VIR...
Old 03-25-11, 02:54 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

If it's all about feel, well, there you have it.
Perfect quote.

The ultimate reasoning behind what you want is what are you going to do with the car, and what do you want it to feel like. If you're going to be tracking the car, or you want to have the fastest lap time, I don't think a manual transmission is what you want.

If you want to feel like you're shifting the gears, and if you're driving around town and it makes you happier to be shifting, I think a manual transmission is perfect.

I don't track my car, I love shifting. It makes me happy.

What's right for me may not be right for some. Choose what you want, but make sure you make an informed choice. Don't buy a manual because you think it's going to be faster around the track, or for other incorrect reasons. Know what you're getting into, and go from there.

I knew exactly what I was getting when I ordered my 6MT. I knew about the pros and cons, made my choice and I've been very happy with it.

Jeff
Old 03-25-11, 03:53 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Because it's not 1953 anymore?

Modern automatics generally offer faster performance and better mileage than manuals.

Plus, it saved Lexus having to develop or adapt a manual that would actually hold the additional power, such development coming with additional costs of course.
That's a little drastic, IMO.

Modern automatics: only now that they have 6+ gears do I consider them preferable to a manual 6-spd, and they should all be designed like the IS-F, where gear changes can actually be done manually. This should be how the 350's auto tranny functions, or they should have offered a manual like Infiniti does.

As for having to develop a strong-enough manual, please - the 350 does not make that much power. They could have just thrown in the Getrag from the MkIV TT Supras. I loved mine...
Old 04-05-11, 04:31 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by replica

Modern automatics: only now that they have 6+ gears do I consider them preferable to a manual 6-spd, and they should all be designed like the IS-F, where gear changes can actually be done manually. This should be how the 350's auto tranny functions, or they should have offered a manual like Infiniti does.

As for having to develop a strong-enough manual, please - the 350 does not make that much power. They could have just thrown in the Getrag from the MkIV TT Supras. I loved mine...
Have you ever priced a new Mk4 getrag transmission from Toyota?

They'd have sold a lot less IS350s adding that many thousands to the price of the car.
Old 04-05-11, 07:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I just drove mine over the weekend. The Getrag 233 is as strong as an ox, but it sure isn't (and has never been) a slick shifting gearbox. It's actually pretty amazing for a gearbox rated by Getrag at only 400 nm torque.

I was very happy to get back in the F...

And yeah, $5500 for the Getrag 233... I spent $2k for synchros, hubs, bearings, seals, and first & second gears in mine. A whole 300ZX gearbox is $1600....
Old 04-09-11, 03:52 PM
dmocchi
Rookie

Originally Posted by replica

The 233 getrag is an archaic design from the late 80S.....most high performance 6 speed manuals r eitheir sourced from zf or bw.
If lexus really did want a manual transmission, a 6 speed zf ( a la bmw m) could be available.
Old 04-09-11, 06:37 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It could be, but again it'd add thousands to the car for something they'd sell pretty near to 0 of.

Only like 3% of all ISes sold are manuals... and that's not far off from the total % of all cars in the US.

Lots of $ for R&D/engineering/added vehicle cost/added factory complexity... for something they'd barely sell any of... just to offer a slower transmission with inferior mileage.

Doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 04-09-11, 11:36 PM
dmocchi
Rookie

1)true
2)these are the times
3)true.you.Depends really, but in a general sense yeah.
4) me neither

Quick Reply: Your Thoughts: IS-F Motor in IS250 MT RWD