Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU "re-learning" after K&N FIPK install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 02:10 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
I'm willing to bet it is the MAF. If you checked all the vaccuum hoses and they all look good then that's not the problem. The CRC MAF cleaner says it's safe on MAF sensors but on the bottle it says not to use it on toyota cars. I still use it but you just gotta be careful with it because MAF sensors are like jealous GF's. It only takes a little bit to make them angry.
Thanks for all of your input. So once you overspray a MAF, is it done for? I do have an extra MAF at home and will give that a try. I figure I would examine the hoses again because I'll have the negative battery cable off anyways for an hour to reset the ECU. So during that time, I'm planning to remove the hoses and take a closer look.
Old 01-05-11, 02:43 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I got that code too, but didnt have an intake or anything installed. Engine is completely stock. However, the CEL went away after a few weeks and hasnt come back on since. Anybody know what happened??
Old 01-05-11, 03:17 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusK
I got that code too, but didnt have an intake or anything installed. Engine is completely stock. However, the CEL went away after a few weeks and hasnt come back on since. Anybody know what happened??
Could be a few things. When was the last time you replaced your spark plugs? Could be bad gas, could be a faulty MAF tripping things up, could be a vacuum hose, could be Chuck Norris? Who knows.
Old 01-05-11, 03:40 PM
sleeper408

Could be a few things. When was the last time you replaced your spark plugs? Could be bad gas, could be a faulty MAF tripping things up, could be a vacuum hose, could be Chuck Norris? Who knows.
I know. I've read the long list of things that could trigger a P0171 code. But when I think about it logically, what did I change or touch when installing the K&N FIPK? It comes down to MAF, vacuum hoses, couplers, etc. I didn't have any CEL before the install, so it would be very unlucky and coincidental if the spark plugs or injectors went out at the exact same time. I'm hoping to rectify the lean issue before it does ultimately cause something else like spark plugs to fail.
Old 01-05-11, 04:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Swap back to the stock intake and see if the CEL goes away. If it does, then you know it's along the intake system, rather than other parts of the engine.
Old 01-05-11, 04:44 PM
fastryan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT IS YOUR FUEL FILTER......maybe.... i had the same problem, and i replaced EVERYTHING. im telling you i spent close to 2k replacing parts related to a p0171 code. spark plugs,fuel injectors, throttle body, m.a.f.s., 02 sensors(all of them) changed vaccume hoses, fittings,the battery....nothing worked. everyone (including lexus) said that the fuel filter is a life time part. no need to replace. SO I DID IT ANYWAY. it was a pain to replace, and cost $60, but the light has never returned..... btw, i cut the filter apart and it was dirty. all for a $250 intake..geeze, how dumb am i.
Old 01-05-11, 05:15 PM
NIXmx
Driver

MAF sensors are like jealous GF's. It only takes a little bit to make them angry.
Old 01-05-11, 05:21 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by fastryan
IT IS YOUR FUEL FILTER......maybe.... i had the same problem, and i replaced EVERYTHING. im telling you i spent close to 2k replacing parts related to a p0171 code. spark plugs,fuel injectors, throttle body, m.a.f.s., 02 sensors(all of them) changed vaccume hoses, fittings,the battery....nothing worked. everyone (including lexus) said that the fuel filter is a life time part. no need to replace. SO I DID IT ANYWAY. it was a pain to replace, and cost $60, but the light has never returned..... btw, i cut the filter apart and it was dirty. all for a $250 intake..geeze, how dumb am i.
Wow!! I saw your thread from a while ago when I was searching. But how would the fuel filter fail right after (10 miles of driving) I install the K&N. Am I just unlucky like you? I'm off to swap the MAF. If that doesn't work, I'm done.
Old 01-05-11, 10:06 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastryan
Besides that Code going away did you notice any other improvements with the swap?
Old 01-06-11, 05:55 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
When you had that faulty vacuum hose, did the car exhibit any strange symptoms, like sporadic idle or anything?
Nope, just a check engine light.
Old 01-06-11, 08:07 AM
sleeper408

OK, well it looks like it is definitely MAF related. I inspected for the 4th time, all of the vacuum hoses' fitment, and they were all tight. Then I removed them all to inspect and they were are in good condition.

So I go to swap out the MAF yesterday, and the screw that goes into the brass fitting on the intake pipe came out! It looks as though the previous owner overtightened it, so when I went to unscrew the 2 bolts, one came out with the brass fitting still attached tightly. I tried to break them apart using pliers in one hand and the allen wrench in the other. Looks like I'll have to get a new brass fitting and screw.

On a side note, literally as soon as I install the stock airbox assembly and fire up the car, the CEL was gone and the car drives normally.

Looks like this project will have to wait for a bit until I have more time.
Old 01-06-11, 09:06 AM
fastryan
Driver

Wow!! I saw your thread from a while ago when I was searching. But how would the fuel filter fail right after (10 miles of driving) I install the K&N. Am I just unlucky like you? I'm off to swap the MAF. If that doesn't work, I'm done.
because the added air from the new filter requires more fuel than your dirty fuel filter can supply. the maf will be a waste of time and money. quote me on that. unless you sprayed the whole can of filter oil on it, it wont be your prob. yea, it sounds great, no h.p. #'s but i do get about 2-3 more mpg.
Old 01-06-11, 10:21 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

OK, well it looks like it is definitely MAF related. I inspected for the 4th time, all of the vacuum hoses' fitment, and they were all tight. Then I removed them all to inspect and they were are in good condition.

So I go to swap out the MAF yesterday, and the screw that goes into the brass fitting on the intake pipe came out! It looks as though the previous owner overtightened it, so when I went to unscrew the 2 bolts, one came out with the brass fitting still attached tightly. I tried to break them apart using pliers in one hand and the allen wrench in the other. Looks like I'll have to get a new brass fitting and screw.

On a side note, literally as soon as I install the stock airbox assembly and fire up the car, the CEL was gone and the car drives normally.

Looks like this project will have to wait for a bit until I have more time.

Yahtzee!! Bingo!
Old 01-06-11, 04:55 PM
jmahes
Driver School Candidate

I have a GS 400 and just installed the same K&N intake and got the same cel code. i cleared it for now, i bought the intake used. I also used some new hoses. I would hate to have to take this intake out, Sleeper so what is the issue what did it all boil down too?
Old 01-06-11, 06:10 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by jmahes
I have a GS 400 and just installed the same K&N intake and got the same cel code. i cleared it for now, i bought the intake used. I also used some new hoses. I would hate to have to take this intake out, Sleeper so what is the issue what did it all boil down too?
I don't know for sure. I had to swap back to stock airbox assembly because the brass fitting that holds the allen head screw in place came out so I couldn't test a different MAF.

Quick Reply: ECU "re-learning" after K&N FIPK install?