Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS250 exhaust suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 02:48 AM
rx7withtim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 exhaust suggestions

Hi ppl, I have an IS250 in Hong Kong... looking for exhausts, everything is stock right now.

i heard HKS sounds good? but my past experience tells me that HKS products are pretty loud, which = annoying

also, my friend who had the tanabe thought it was going to be not as annoying, but after a while said he hated it

Anyways, I'm looking for an exhaust that is bigger, looks better than the stock one. Sounds a little louder, and wont annoy the **** out of me. Btw, I usually drive at speeds under 65mph. not that i cant drive fast, its the traffic.

suggestions... please
Thanks!
Old 12-13-10, 07:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rx7withtim
Hi ppl, I have an IS250 in Hong Kong... looking for exhausts, everything is stock right now.

i heard HKS sounds good? but my past experience tells me that HKS products are pretty loud, which = annoying

also, my friend who had the tanabe thought it was going to be not as annoying, but after a while said he hated it

Anyways, I'm looking for an exhaust that is bigger, looks better than the stock one. Sounds a little louder, and wont annoy the **** out of me. Btw, I usually drive at speeds under 65mph. not that i cant drive fast, its the traffic.

suggestions... please
Thanks!

Tanabe is what you want.

Anything else will be louder yet produce no additional power.
Old 12-13-10, 11:53 AM
pepos
Driver

Look also for JUNTW
The company is located in Taiwan, very close you.
Very good quality not very loud with descent gains.
Old 12-13-10, 05:36 PM
Kritikalex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rx7withtim

HKS is the way to go, i first decieded tanabe but realized the 250 is a very quiet car and needed something more.....sooo i decieded Greddy but then that wasnt enough. I was against Hks for the same reasons you are but trust me with the minimum slection we've got its 1 of the best choices. I also wanted to try Megan but shyed away cause of the price. ITS DIRT CHEAP so i assumed that refelected the quality. but im waiting to see a good video or opinion on them.
Old 12-13-10, 05:52 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Note that despite how it's worded at that link I'm pretty sure that dyno is really a midpipe and the exhaust system.

Because there's no way on earth they'd get those gains from only a midpipe.

The exhaust itself is about 7-8 hp and a midpipe is typically 1-2 hp, so managing 9.8 out of both makes sense... the way they word it they're claiming 10 from just the midpipe, and that's just not possible. (they also dynoed in 3rd gear for some weird reason, though that might explain why they barely hit 250 WITH the mods when a stock 350 normally dynos about 265)

Note the midpipe will fail inspection anyplace with a visual inspection (not just theirs, any brand) and, to me, it's not worth the cost for 1-2 more hp... but up to you.

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-13-10 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 10:12 PM
rx7withtim
Driver School Candidate

I've gotta say...
since the is250 isnt fast anyways, i'm looking to go with looks than performance. In terms of looks, i like the HKS better.

Does anyone know if the HKS will be annoying, even with stock midpipe?

because I've read other reviews saying "the sound would take some time to get used to" meaning... it will be annoying??

btw... sometimes its pretty hard to tell if its annoying from youtube vids...
Old 12-13-10, 11:36 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

two words come to mind when talking about the hks hi-power.

cabin drone.

why? because you will have lots of it.

if you're not used to loud exhaust systems, you will not like the hks hi-power.
Old 12-14-10, 11:44 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quitest aftermarket exhaust that I know of is Tanabe... I have heard many coming out to all the meets here.

Yes, HKS will be louder than Tanabe... both cases with the stock mid-pipe. I have stock mid-pipe and it's slightly louder than stock. HKS is louder...

If Tanabe is still too loud for you, why not swap the exhaust tips? That way, it's still quiet like stock, but looks aftermarket.
Old 12-14-10, 04:03 PM
sleeper001
Driver School Candidate

Check out the greddy sp2 exhaust, thats what i had it sounds great with a deep sound like the G35 OR NISSAN 350Z. I am selling mine if your interested.