Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 07:00 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Transmission fluid change?

I have a 99' GS300 with 138k miles that I just purchased from a owner who took good care of it. He claimed he never changed the tranny fluid because he said his mechanic said changing it will cause more problems down the line. Is this true? Does lexus recommend to ever change the fluid in the manual? Im a little confused as I was doing research some people do flushes some people drop the pan and some people dont do anything. By the way the tranny shifts perfect and I didnt get a chance to check the fluid but im assuming its old since it was never changed. Any opinions greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 11-29-10, 10:50 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drain and fill. Don't flush just to be safe.
Old 11-29-10, 10:58 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on drain and fill.. Also I Use Amsoil Synthetic fluid..
Old 11-29-10, 11:10 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

man drain that bizz n get some new fluid in it stat!
Old 12-04-10, 02:17 PM
Dscustoms
Driver

Nonsense on the drain and fill. You can have a flush done easy and cheap at a shop, new fluid to last another 100k plus miles.
Old 12-05-10, 11:07 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

So even if I have 140k and I dont know if it was ever changed because I just bought it I should still change it? someone told me if it was never changed leave it alone or it can cause more problems
Old 12-05-10, 11:18 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just drain and fill over time until you replace most of the old fluid with fresh fluid.
Old 12-05-10, 11:26 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Ok cool thanks, how many bottles of fluid do I need for this? I have a 99 GS300
Old 12-06-10, 02:39 PM
Dscustoms
Driver

No! Why waste time and money, do it once, do it right. There is no reason to not flush your modern transmission. The more crap you have floating around in there, the less fluid can move around to make the transmission work. Look at the pictures of a valve body, the passages are tiny, if they get clogged up, you lose shifting feel and speed. The old myth about not changing trans fluid is just that, a MYTH... If your transmission has big problems already, it doesn't matter what you do. If your transmission is fine, and you want to do proper maintenance, do the flush.
Old 12-09-10, 07:18 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dscustoms
No! Why waste time and money, do it once, do it right. There is no reason to not flush your modern transmission. The more crap you have floating around in there, the less fluid can move around to make the transmission work. Look at the pictures of a valve body, the passages are tiny, if they get clogged up, you lose shifting feel and speed. The old myth about not changing trans fluid is just that, a MYTH... If your transmission has big problems already, it doesn't matter what you do. If your transmission is fine, and you want to do proper maintenance, do the flush.
I'm going to have to agree with you on this, I wouldn't hesitate do flush the transmission.
Old 12-09-10, 10:23 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so you've never heard of build up or sludge in modern transmissions huh? K..good luck with that. Just amazes me how much bad info can be given on a forum...
Old 12-09-10, 02:18 PM
Dscustoms
Driver

Build up or sludge ? How many transmissions have you opened up ? I've done hundreds. Also taught classes in using trans flush machines.

Fluid gets old and degraded. Loses it's lubricity. You can see how bad it is by putting a drop off your trans dipstick on a piece of white paper. Anything that isn't oil will show up nicely. ATF lasts a very long time, but changing it at 75-100k miles is a good idea. As I've posted before, the filter may never need changing, although you can get one for under $40 and changing it is pretty easy on a lift.

Last edited by Dscustoms; 12-09-10 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-09-10, 10:17 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

hundreds and you've never seen any...interesting...why run a filter then if no junk gets in the tranny? With the small passages for the valvebody, its very easy to get stuff lodged in there...where do you teach classes at?
Old 12-09-10, 10:22 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

btw, I will be dropping the built 4l65e tranny in my Silverado this Saturday. I'll look around and see if I can see any bits of junk floating around. Seems like I may have a clogged filter...but then again...it may be part of that myth about dislodging junk.
Old 12-10-10, 02:07 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

so you guys did complete flushes and it didnt mess anything up at all, I heard thats bad for the tranny

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change?