Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2

Old 11-04-10, 11:41 AM
pepos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2

Came in today.
Will be installed probably on Saturday.
Will post a review once installed.
Attached Thumbnails FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2-fidanja-flywheel-01.jpg   FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2-fidanja-flywheel-02.jpg   FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2-spec-clutch-01.jpg   FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2-spec-clutch-02.jpg   FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2-spec-clutch-03.jpg  

Old 11-04-10, 12:33 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Amaaaaaaazing man!How many bodies ahead will you be this time!Beautiful!Congratulation!
Old 11-07-10, 12:58 AM
pepos
Driver

So it's on the car.
This is the first impression after 150 miles.
I didn't go agressive because i have to break in the clutch disk and pressure plate.
Huge difference in weight between the two flywheels.
We had to shorten the new bolts by 2mm in order to fit correctly.
Clutch assembly has a very qood quality.
1st 2nd and 3rd gear the car revs a lot faster.
There is no gear noise or vibration or anything else.
RPM drop quicker with no problem at idle.
RPM drop 800 between shifts.
Clutch pedal feels same as stock and engagement is smooth.
Generally i'm very satisfied with the result.
Fidanza you rock thank you.
Attached Thumbnails FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2-flywheel-comp-01.jpg   FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2-flywheel-comp-02.jpg   FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2-flywheel-comp-03.jpg   FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2-flywheel-installed.jpg  
Old 11-07-10, 01:19 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

did you get the sprung or unsprung clutch? did you have to do any machining of the flywheel to make it fit or did you have it balanced?
Old 11-07-10, 01:28 AM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
did you get the sprung or unsprung clutch? did you have to do any machining of the flywheel to make it fit or did you have it balanced?
I got the sprung one.
If someone gets the unsprung he will have a hard time to roll from stop and vibrations may occur because there is nothing between the motor and gear box to do the dumping job.
As my mechanic said there is no need to balance the flywheel with the motor in this car if the flywheel is well balanced by its self.
No machining at all, FIDANJA as it seems does a great job.
The only thing needed modification were the new bolts because they were 2mm longer.
Old 11-07-10, 01:51 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

looks like we have the same exact set up. i also have the fidanza flywheel + spec stage 2 sprung clutch. when i had it installed, the flywheel wouldn't fit on the hub. i had to get it machined to shave a little from the inside so it would fit on the hub. i also didn't get it balanced and i didn't have to modify the bolts or anything.

are you getting ANY noise or anything? i get a chatter/vibration noise similar to this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_eHyHY2LKM

i get it in first gear and it's so annoying! not sure if it's coming from the flywheel or the clutch...
Old 11-07-10, 01:06 AM
pepos
Driver

looks like we have the same exact set up. i also have the fidanza flywheel + spec stage 2 sprung clutch. when i had it installed, the flywheel wouldn't fit on the hub. i had to get it machined to shave a little from the inside so it would fit on the hub. i also didn't get it balanced and i didn't have to modify the bolts or anything.

are you getting ANY noise or anything? i get a chatter/vibration noise similar to this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_eHyHY2LKM

i get it in first gear and it's so annoying! not sure if it's coming from the flywheel or the clutch...
No nothing at all.
The car sounds like stock.
The flywheel fited in the hub perfectly.
I agree this chatter is very annoying.
Did you install the clutch disk correctly?
It has a trans side and flywheel side.
My mechanic got confused during the installation because according to spec's instructions seemed that the spec disk had to be installed the other way around than stock.
I told him to follow spec's installation instructions and install the sprung side in the flywheel side.
Old 11-07-10, 01:15 AM
pepos
Driver

Was the installation correct?
Have you installed a new bearing on clutch?
There are three safety washers that go on clutch bearing, two on flywheel side and one on trans side.
Did your mechanic see for any wrong clearance on bearing after install?
Take a look at this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WWQr...layer_embedded
I think the noise is similar.
Anyway i believe that there is something wrong with the installation.

Last edited by pepos; 11-07-10 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-07-10, 04:15 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

I can only guess everything was installed correctly. i didn't install a new bearing on the clutch either.
right after the installation i didn't get the chatter noise... it came about 2 weeks later. i figured it was normal cuz everybody else i asked with the flywheel + clutch had some sort of chatter noise (not sure if it's the same noise) and figured it was just a fact of a lightened flywheel. I learned to live with it as did everybody else, but now you got yours installed and i think you're the first person without any noise whatsoever.
one thing i noticed is that the noise will go away or get considerably less after about an hour of driving around. my theory is that the longer i drive, the hotter it gets in the bell housing and since it's an aluminum flywheel, it expands in heat. when it expands, the chatter goes away...
anyways, i'm gonna show the mechanic/installer the video you posted when i get my oil change done in a few weeks. if you can think of anything else, i would greatly appreciate it!
Old 11-07-10, 06:51 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

Any dyno plans to see how much power the new flywheel frees up?
Old 11-07-10, 07:20 AM
pepos
Driver

I can only guess everything was installed correctly. i didn't install a new bearing on the clutch either.
right after the installation i didn't get the chatter noise... it came about 2 weeks later. i figured it was normal cuz everybody else i asked with the flywheel + clutch had some sort of chatter noise (not sure if it's the same noise) and figured it was just a fact of a lightened flywheel. I learned to live with it as did everybody else, but now you got yours installed and i think you're the first person without any noise whatsoever.
one thing i noticed is that the noise will go away or get considerably less after about an hour of driving around. my theory is that the longer i drive, the hotter it gets in the bell housing and since it's an aluminum flywheel, it expands in heat. when it expands, the chatter goes away...
anyways, i'm gonna show the mechanic/installer the video you posted when i get my oil change done in a few weeks. if you can think of anything else, i would greatly appreciate it!
If you got the chatter after two weeks, i think that i also have to wait and see because i installed mine yesterday.
My mechanic told me that this was the fisrt time that he installed the disk's springs flywheel side. normally in all the cars springs go trans side.
He told me that if i wasn't present, he would do the same with my ride.
But the spec disk and installation papers specifically mention that springs on this one go flywheel side.
Perhaps it's this.To see what's going on you have to dismantle the gear box again,something that has nothing to do with oil change.
I think it's worth the try to do it.
But i believe that the chatter isn't from the flywheel, it comes either from the clutch assembly or the gear box.
If it's from the clutch and you say that chatter goes away when it gets hot it make sense that there is something wrong with the bearing because when the pressure plate around it gets hot they fins expand and eliminate all clearances if any.
Why didn't you install a new bearing? It comes along with the clutch kit.
If you are going to install a new one, get the genuine part japan made.
I'm always present when someone fixes my car because a lot of engineers just want to finish as soon as they can and take your money.
Time is money in this business

Last edited by pepos; 11-07-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-07-10, 07:23 AM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by Sgt_K
Any dyno plans to see how much power the new flywheel frees up?
No Dyno yet but i don't know if we'll see any numbers according to this bellow.
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywhee...heel_works.htm
But i feel the difference and it's not a minor one.

Last edited by pepos; 11-07-10 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-07-10, 08:06 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

About the bolts that need to be shortened, is this something that can be fixed with washers? Are they the bolts that hold the wheel to the crank, or is it the bolts that are holding the pressure plate to the wheel? Any pics?
Old 11-07-10, 08:21 AM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by Sgt_K
About the bolts that need to be shortened, is this something that can be fixed with washers? Are they the bolts that hold the wheel to the crank, or is it the bolts that are holding the pressure plate to the wheel? Any pics?
They are the bolts that hold the wheel to the crank.
Yes i could use washers also but because the sprung side of the clutch disk goes flywheel side i prefered to cut the bolts shorter and not use washers.
I took only these pictures shown in the thread here.
Pressure plate bolts remain the same.
Old 11-08-10, 12:36 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

oh my mistake... if the bearing came with the clutch kit, then i'm sure the installer would've installed it as well. if it's something that I had to get separately, then no i didn't get it.

i look forward to read your reviews after you have it broken in...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FIDANZA Flywheel and SPEC Stage 2