Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: SRT intake owners: would you buy again?
Yes
56.25%
Probably yes
14.58%
Probably no
10.42%
No
18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

SRT intake owners: would you buy again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-02, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default SRT intake owners: would you buy again?

SRT intake owners: knowing what you know now, would you spend the money to buy the Swift Racing intake/ecu again?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-24-02 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-24-02, 07:35 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes... after all the trouble that Static911 went through.. SRT has done it again.. Proven that they are the best in the market for right now. Although some people may argue that they can't never reach the SRT Dyno Claim on that intake.. but certainly, it is one of the best in the market for Lexus. Now.. the other one never came through for CL.... we won't mention the name here...

But the RACE ECU has a real improvement... over the previous generation ECU.. definitely worth the money that you are spending.. Plus.. Can any one tell that how many time that WR has solder the O2 sensor wrong way.. pipe been too long.. no Quality cotrol... just pure rice company...
Old 07-24-02, 07:46 PM
RacingAristo

I would say no. I'd rather save the money for supercharger or twin turbo.

Old 07-24-02, 08:46 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with RA , no i would not . I brought the intake mainly because it was the only thing that gave alittle hp back then. I would just go straight for the turbo as i brought the intake because i craved more power.

So Bit: Ask yourself why you want an intake ? 1.Gain some hp ? or 2. Gain some mpg ? Or lastly ,3. likes the sound and look of an intake ?

2 and 3 are good reasons to buy an intake , but 1 is not.

If you are not planning on an intake and are just curious instead , disregard my questions.

If you don't plan on going FI , i would say its a good buy .
Old 07-25-02, 11:43 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One conditional vote for it

I’d buy again … for the price I paid, including the race ecu. Now that I’ve solved the intake noise problem, I think that it’s worth what I paid for the SRT plus the insulated WR CAB.

Unless some bolt-on turbo becomes available for the GS4 in the 4k range, I probably won’t go for the SC at about twice that price (if I’m way off base on the sc price, feel free to correct me).

I’m talking about FI that can be either self-installed or installed by some reputable shop (I’m not going to drive to Maryland for an install). Until that’s available, there just aren’t many choices from which to choose.

My .10 cents worth.
Old 07-25-02, 01:50 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Lightbulb

Interesting question, Bit. I've toyed around with the ECU/intake vs. TC/LSD, etc. Mostly what I want is not necessarily more HP/TQ, but a better seat-of-the-pants application of the HP/TQ that I have right now. That's why I'm leaning more toward the TC, LSD, and maybe TM plugs as my first non-L-Tuned mod to my car. Seems like those make the biggest difference in real-world performance for normal around-town driving. I'd be interested to hear differently, but that's certainly the perception I have...
Old 07-26-02, 05:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Great feedback guys. Thanks for the honest opinions... just what I wanted, and also felt others would want to hear.

For me, if the SRT were $300 I might go for it. At $600 (or $695 now?) - I don't think it's worth it.
Old 07-27-02, 12:32 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default good buy

I must say that the swift racing intake was a excellent purchase for my lexus. I think you get what you pay for, and for improved throttle, great sound, and a clean set up, you can not go wrong. I believe a $8000 super charger is a bit too steep even for a car nut as myself. Hearing the intake take off outside my car for the first time,oh man...i was very happy and impressed.
Old 07-29-02, 07:08 PM
whago
Driver School Candidate

Default SRT

I would vote no if you are expecting the huge HP increase based on the advertised dyno on SRT's site. From my experience, I lost low end torque but gain some top end speed - so is a trade. Also, intake noise was an issue for me as I like the luxurious look/sounds- it sound nice but gets annoying at higher and longer trips.
The reponse from SRT that the reason for lost of low end torque was "drive by wire design" just did not cut it for me. Also, some of these improvements which we all spend lots of money produce minimal performance and honestly is just an ego booster and mental brainwashing that lots of aftermarket companies dig into our mind sets. Unless you have lots of $$ to burn on a supercharger all the other improvements out there are once again minimal in your 0-60 mph and 0-100 mph times. Please think twice before upgrading. I'm sure many of us can send the extra cash to our lien holders and pay our cars a lot faster. Just a thought!
Old 07-30-02, 07:32 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 1niceride
......Ask yourself why you want an intake ? Gain some mpg ?
Does an SRT Intake (or any other intake) really help improve MPG? Can anyone confirm better gas mileage with an intake? Or is this something that's more theoretical......
Old 07-30-02, 07:40 AM
whago
Driver School Candidate

I will say a bit more - it does help
Old 08-08-02, 02:57 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up SRT intake-race ecu

Hey guys. I just got my SRT-Race ECU installed on TUE. August 7th
along with the PI-TC, TRD-LSD. Let me tell ya what I think. The TM's are giving me the power (12-15 Hp) dynoed by Mean Gene that the GS should be getting from the OEM factory denso iridium plugs. The SRT intake &ECU delivers the power to the PI-TC & the LSD keeps it all on the ground so I can do the launches from the red lights. My car has changed into a completely different aninmal. This is the best bang for the buck without gettin into the INDUCTION area. If the SRT is your only install, then your only gonna feel the difference at the top as SCWells72 said. But puttin them all together changes the whole mix. I am pleasantly surprised by how smooth the PI-TC performs. I feel the upgrades are performing in the order of
1) TM plugs 2)PI-TC 3) TRD-LSD 4) SRT-intake-ecu2 in that order of power flow. TC & LSD for bottom end & SRT ECU for top end Kick inthe butt.

Paul
Old 08-08-02, 03:25 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default Dumb question #4,569,782

Great info, Paul!

Now for my next dumb question. Would changing out my spark plugs for TorqueMasters violate any part of my warranty? My gut says that there's no way it could, but I'm pretty sure that if anything unexpected happened in the engine, a dealer would be quick to use it against you to avoid repairing under warranty.

I've done all the performance/handling L-Tuned mods and don't want to wander out from under warranty, so it seems to me that the TM plugs are the only other possible performance mod I can do without compromising my warranty. Is this true?

Thanks...
Old 08-08-02, 03:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

SC - I believe there is a law (I'm sure someone can quote the section, my memory isn't that good) that says they have to PROVE that the modification caused the failure.

Like someone posted on another thread - Lexus themselves changes manufacturer / design for replaceable parts such as oil filters, they use different oil brands (I bring my own Mobil 1), etc. There are many items that are meant to be changed regularly on a car and many different manufacturers design to fit them.... The plugs are just one of those pieces.

I've got all the goodies Paul does on my car too (less the plugs) - looking forward to seeing the difference myself when mine get here!
Old 08-08-02, 05:56 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DaveGS4
SC - I believe there is a law (I'm sure someone can quote the section, my memory isn't that good) that says they have to PROVE that the modification caused the failure.
Yeah, I'm familiar with this law, but that doesn't mean I ever want to be in a situation where I have to confront my dealer's service center with it and argue over interpretations.

I guess the best thing I can do is ask them directly. Like you said, to me plugs are a "normal" wear-and-tear item that should be replaced once in a while, so it's not like I'm changing out some permanent fixture of my engine...

Quick Reply: SRT intake owners: would you buy again?