Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 03:27 PM
Nickels341
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do?

I have an 03' is300 and I currently just paid it off. *It has about 100k miles. *I'm considering on taking a loan out and to put a turbo on, suspension, clutch, and maybe a new tranny. *Would this be worth doing considering the miles on the car. *It's a little beat up but I would like to make it run well instead of buying a new car. *Is it worth it?

Regards,
Old 10-23-10, 08:43 AM
Gideon808
Driver School Candidate

How's it goin? I just purchased an '04 is with about 78,000 miles and have been researching ideas to mod it out and give it more horsepower. All my friends have suggested doing a motor swap for the supra 2jz-gte. I don't know how much of a loan you're talking about but, for about 10,000 you could probably do the swap and depending on how aggressive you drive, it would probably be good for about 50,000 miles or so. I think with what you want to do with the stock 2j motor, it would probably be more beneficial for you to just do the swap. Imagine having an is with twin turbo! Just a thought for you to think about. I love my is, and if I had the cash right now I would seriously consider it. Good luck.
Old 10-23-10, 03:27 PM
LexsIS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gideon808
How's it goin? I just purchased an '04 is with about 78,000 miles and have been researching ideas to mod it out and give it more horsepower. All my friends have suggested doing a motor swap for the supra 2jz-gte. I don't know how much of a loan you're talking about but, for about 10,000 you could probably do the swap and depending on how aggressive you drive, it would probably be good for about 50,000 miles or so. I think with what you want to do with the stock 2j motor, it would probably be more beneficial for you to just do the swap. Imagine having an is with twin turbo! Just a thought for you to think about. I love my is, and if I had the cash right now I would seriously consider it. Good luck.
Would you be able to pass inspection in Texas with a GTE swap since it is an engine form a car that is older than ours?
Old 10-23-10, 07:04 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

what N1 do you have? the Apexi? and how does it sound?
Old 10-23-10, 07:34 PM
LexsIS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ais300c
what N1 do you have? the Apexi? and how does it sound?
hahahaahaha im gonna get torn apart for this, i wish it was an apexi, its a 115 dollar one off of ebay. But i think it sounds really awesome. it has a lower tone (more of a muscle car than a tuner) to it than the apexi's and alot of the bigger names... they are really completely different sounds
Old 10-24-10, 06:04 AM
Gideon808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsIS300
Would you be able to pass inspection in Texas with a GTE swap since it is an engine form a car that is older than ours?
Oh yeah...fortunately texas isn't as strict as some other states when it comes to inspections.
Old 10-24-10, 06:09 AM
Gideon808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsIS300
hahahaahaha im gonna get torn apart for this, i wish it was an apexi, its a 115 dollar one off of ebay. But i think it sounds really awesome. it has a lower tone (more of a muscle car than a tuner) to it than the apexi's and alot of the bigger names... they are really completely different sounds

What's the brand? I was researching some exhausts but i don't want my car to sound like a ricer. I just put a AEM short ram intake on my is and it sounds awesome. So, i was thinking about getting the most out of the intake with performance exhaust as well...maybe a header as well later on.
Old 10-24-10, 09:13 PM
LexsIS300
Driver School Candidate

What's the brand? I was researching some exhausts but i don't want my car to sound like a ricer. I just put a AEM short ram intake on my is and it sounds awesome. So, i was thinking about getting the most out of the intake with performance exhaust as well...maybe a header as well later on.
Completely no name but, if u were willing to spend the money i would go a greddy ti-c. Gives it a sick rumbling sound but honestly you could put a 3a racing muffler from auto zone on and it wont sound ricey at all.... Its the engine creating the sound, ours happens to be really deep for a tuner type of car. Ive heard alot of good things about OBX headers too.
Old 10-24-10, 09:21 PM
LexsIS300
Driver School Candidate

@gideon808 i think it is amost impossible to make a 2jz sound at all ricey (if it was possible i think my ebay one would have done it) jus make sure to go with 2.5in piping for a N/A setup and it will keep a deep sound
Old 10-26-10, 08:05 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nickels341
I have an 03' is300 and I currently just paid it off. *It has about 100k miles. *I'm considering on taking a loan out and to put a turbo on, suspension, clutch, and maybe a new tranny. *Would this be worth doing considering the miles on the car. *It's a little beat up but I would like to make it run well instead of buying a new car. *Is it worth it?

Regards,
taking a loan to boost a car is not a good idea financially. you'll need some back up or "what if" money set aside

worth is subjective. if you think your car is beat up, spend the money on making it run well. good maintenance before boost is important.
Old 10-26-10, 08:09 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

i personally like the HKS exhausts. i had the HKS Dragger and the sound was really nice. the HKS Hyper is also nice produces a few more HPs

the IS starts to sound ricey when you go straight pipe removing the B pipe
Old 10-26-10, 07:07 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

its an inline 6 not a 4 cyl, ive never heard a ricey 2jz. i dont even think 2jz can sound ricey since its 6 cyl not 4, but thats just me IMO
Old 10-27-10, 10:43 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
its an inline 6 not a 4 cyl, ive never heard a ricey 2jz. i dont even think 2jz can sound ricey since its 6 cyl not 4, but thats just me IMO
well maybe you havent heard an IS with a straight pipe and the B pipe removed
Old 10-27-10, 09:55 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by baadhabit
well maybe you havent heard an IS with a straight pipe and the B pipe removed
I have OBX headers and y pipe, my b pipe is complete straight pipe and I have my HKS Hi-Power and my car doesn't sound ricey at all, has a nice deep and throaty tone, but I have never heard a 2jz with complete straight pipe.
Old 10-28-10, 04:21 AM
Gideon808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
i've listened to a few exhaust systems on youtube...and i must say, there is a lot of them that sound ricey! i even saw a couple that had flowmaster exhaust systems! not cool, not cool...

Quick Reply: What to do?