Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 12:23 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Dude he said Is a 2jz-GTE swap REALLY worth it?
Not 2jzgte VVTi swap REALLY worth it?
How many people on the 2GS section have 2jzgte non VVTi in there GSs or IS
VVTI GTE and GTE are 2 different things if you don't know what am talking about then i don't need to argue with you.
Why does it matter WHAT GTE he's talking about? They're BOTH better than the stock VVTi GE!
Old 10-05-10, 01:24 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bippu147
Why does it matter WHAT GTE he's talking about? They're BOTH better than the stock VVTi GE!
vvti head > non-vvti head in general. because the bottom ends and the heads are interchangable, you can mix and match them to achieve your goals.

you have to start looking at these engines separately and not as a whole package, unless you absolutely do not want to deal a new headgasket. however, that can be argued with the replacements of stock headbolts with arp headstuds and lower the chances of a BHG. a simple port and polish with an angle job will also allow your engine to take full advantage of the single turbo you just put in.

i'm purely bringing up concrete facts here and not on trivial differences from the factory, because once modded, they both yield the same result.
Old 10-05-10, 01:32 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LALEX1
I have a few questions.

Lets say I have a 2001 or older gs300,
1) is it better to swap a vvti-gte or a non vvti-gte?
2) If I did the gte swap, and installed the stock tranny that comes with some of the gte engine tranny packages, how much power will that tranny be able to hold?
I know jeff built a monster of an engine before, but I also remember him always rebuilding the tranny or looking for one that can handle more. So is it better to just swap in an auto tranny from a gte engine? and if so why hasnt jeff done that?
Thanks
swap to a vvti-gte if anything. only 8 simple steps to take (search previous vvti gte thread as i have stated them).

if you use the gte auto tranny, you have to run the gte ecu control it. if you want to keep your stock ge ecu for any reason, you will need a standalone to control the tranny. stock gte tranny can handle about 450whp and stock ge tranny can handle 400whp with a tranny cooler and a valve body upgrade

jefftsai is trying to build a bulletproof 5spd auto for us. the 4spd is proven to handle power, but 5spd is superior in every way as long as it can handle the same amount of power. the 5spd auto handles torque just fine, just not in between shifts apparently.
Old 10-06-10, 06:13 PM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, thank you to SlvrGS300, Bippi147, Quickgs300, JeffTsai, Elitistk, and everyone else who moved this conversation along. I had a great time reading everyone’s entries. The insight from all angles is extremely beneficial. It is just too bad none of you guys that have performed these swaps live between Tennessee and Atlanta, because I would definitely appreciate some one on one tutoring.

A follow up question to those that have purchases a GTE/Tranny/ECU, where did you get the best deal? ebay? Craigslist?
Old 10-06-10, 07:05 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BlackoutGS
First of all, thank you to SlvrGS300, Bippi147, Quickgs300, JeffTsai, Elitistk, and everyone else who moved this conversation along. I had a great time reading everyone’s entries. The insight from all angles is extremely beneficial. It is just too bad none of you guys that have performed these swaps live between Tennessee and Atlanta, because I would definitely appreciate some one on one tutoring.

A follow up question to those that have purchases a GTE/Tranny/ECU, where did you get the best deal? ebay? Craigslist?
Come to florida my boys shop has 4 to choose from driveshaft and stock intercooler and all complete as it can get.
Old 10-06-10, 07:06 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

I got mine locally from one of the many engine suppliers we have here in Calgary.
Old 10-06-10, 07:10 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

EBAY! lol Theres a bunch of motors for sale there, just make sure you can see videos of leak down and compression testing.
Old 10-06-10, 08:15 PM
richie3888
Pole Position

Does anybody know where's the best place to buy a 2jzgte complete motor? And how much do they cost?
Old 10-07-10, 01:27 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Japspec just said they have 4 at their shop. I bought mine on ebay from an JDM engine importer. The prices have been steadily climbing though. I bought mine back then for around $1600+250freight. Now, they all go for like $2k+freight.
Old 10-07-10, 02:52 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of days ago, on ebay.co.uk an Aristo 2nd Gen GTE engine was sold for £620...
The ad said the engine had not been run for 2 years though. But still that's a sweet deal.
Old 10-07-10, 06:55 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

I've heard horror stories about the 2jz-GTE engine throwing it's bearing. I researched and found this is pretty common on cylinder 6. What are the chances of buying a motor and having throwing a bearing. Does it just depend on the condition the motor is in when you buy it? Kinda hard to pick a motor then since the prices are all over the place $1600-$4500.
Old 10-07-10, 09:12 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

you heard wrong.

They can have crankwalk if you have a VERY aggressive clutch, and start the engine by puching in the clutch before the oil lubricated the trust bearings.

I've know many people with 1st gen 2JZ-GTE (non-VVTi) motors. I've never heard this happen once, ever.
Old 10-07-10, 10:20 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtamulis
you heard wrong.

They can have crankwalk if you have a VERY aggressive clutch, and start the engine by puching in the clutch before the oil lubricated the trust bearings.

I've know many people with 1st gen 2JZ-GTE (non-VVTi) motors. I've never heard this happen once, ever.
This is what im talking about with the engine knock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHF7l...eature=related
Old 10-08-10, 06:31 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Well I knew it _could_ happen, but I've almost never seen it done. Most people who leave it stock don't have any problems whatsoever.

Jeff
Old 10-08-10, 06:32 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

oh I paid $1700 for my motor, and it had perfect compression across the board, just bought it from an imported in canada, shipped to my door.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.