Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 06:53 AM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Because you did one GTE swap swap in your garage doesn't mean anything bro.

Yes bone stock block unopen will make 450rwhp all day long.. DD? Yes.
I think some of you guys needs to go chill on SF, open your mind about Na-T.
I had both of them Na-T and GTE but and I like the Na-T better.
So you can say GTE and bash the Na-T guys all you want you can't change my mind, i had 2 serious HP SC, so i know what am talking about!!!!
Before i spend 900 on harness service i would rather buy and EMS and do Na-T.

OP i hope you spend you money wisely GL.

Yes it does, the swap is easy enough that anyone with basic handtools and a hoist can do it in theirs as well. You should really stop contradicting yourself. You don't want to spend money on modifying an oem harness but you want to spend money modifying a harness to run an ems? You've had a couple of high horsepower na-t sc's. How long did they run before "you had to replace the headgasket? You were right about one thing though, high compression+turbo+EMS+E85=lethal (to your motor) and you had to replace "those weak *** rods" with something the GTE comes with to begin. All those mods, how much did that cost you? How much did it cost to do it twice? 476hp? Give me those mods on a GTE and watch it double. . I didn't spend $900 on any sort of "wire service" to drop the motor straight into my car. I think some of you guys need to go chill on hondatech. . .

Last edited by SlvrGS300; 10-05-10 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 07:38 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

this thread is facepalm x 10000.

Just so you guys know, we've had a lot of experience with NA-T garbage. How? We built ALL of the turbo IS300's for Lexus of Canada, including the first GTE swapped IS300 back in 2001...which raced in One Lap of America.

If you've pulled a VVTi GE bottom end apart yourself and compared it to a GTE you would agree, the GE's are junk.

SlvrGS, I'm glad you kept your GE, I'll be borrowing it for a boat anchor next summer
Old 10-05-10, 07:45 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Cool story bro.... 476whp on a built GE with E85 LOL.

How many of our stock block GTE Supras do you want to see dyno sheets for running over 500whp on pump gas?

Or how about our shop car running 650whp for One Lap of America .....funny thing...that car was raced for 6 years on a STOCK GTE bottom end, and we finished top 10 every time..
Old 10-05-10, 07:52 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So yeah, I just realized all this time, I've been giving my recommendations based off of a 1995 and OLDER 2JZ-GEs. I have a 1st gen GS300, and a 95 Aristo 2JZ-GTE, both of which use the NON-VVTI motors.

If you have a VVTi 2JZ-GE Motor, you'll be happier in the long run to just go 2JZ-GTE.
Old 10-05-10, 07:52 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvrGS300
Yes it does, the swap is easy enough that anyone with basic handtools and a hoist can do it in theirs as well. You should really stop contradicting yourself. You don't want to spend money on modifying an oem harness but you want to spend money modifying a harness to run an ems? You've had a couple of high horsepower na-t sc's. How long did they run before "you had to replace the headgasket? You were right about one thing though, high compression+turbo+EMS+E85=lethal (to your motor) and you had to replace "those weak *** rods" with something the GTE comes with to begin. All those mods, how much did that cost you? How much did it cost to do it twice? 476hp? Give me those mods on a GTE and watch it double. . I didn't spend $900 on any sort of "wire service" to drop the motor straight into my car. I think some of you guys need to go chill on hondatech. . .
This is my last post on this thread, You can't do Na-T because you don't know what to do i understand.
I never had to replace rods , just for your information.
Like i said you don't nothing about Na-t about the engines, you don't know nothing about FI .
You need to do some more reading, after (1) aristo swap you think you are "Justice Racing".
And Yes if you have 93-96 GS if you drop a non VVti it's PNP,If you have a 98-01 GS and drop the GTE non VVTi in there you will need some wiring no matter what u say and
2jzgte VVTi in 98-01 is PNP.
Oh bTW what year is your car? I don't modifie any harness i make my own patch harness just for you information.
You don't know nothing about High compression setup so please watch what you say.

I'm at 16 right now on the stock GE headgasket with E85. I switched to VVTi coils and it's all working great. About to install a 044 pump and try for a few more psi. Here's a plot I made from my datalogs. I did a 6psi pull and adjusted the math parameters to make this about 300whp to compensate for changes in air temp. This is about what I've dyno'd at that boost level on a dynojet. So, I should be a little over 480whp. I ran out of internal logging room for a 16psi pull, so this picture only goes to 15.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=601729
I dont have a stock GE headgasket, but my compression with a shaved head, CP tt pistons, TT headgasket is around 9.5:1. I personally run 32psi every day on E-85+meth injection. This is on a DBB76gts.
I am curious is to see what other guys are running with higher compression ratio's. I would like to go 10.0:1 on a future build.

Last edited by 99SC42; 10-05-10 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 07:59 AM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by quickGS300
This is my last post on this thread, You can't do Na-T because you don't know what to do i understand.
I never had to replace rods , just for your information.
Like i said you don't nothing about Na-t about the engines, you don't know nothing about FI .
You need to do some more reading, after (1) aristo swap you think you are "Justice Racing"
you don't know nothing about reading apparently. If you had read, this is not my first swap. It is not my last swap. It is nice that you have stooped to saying that I'm an idiot and know nothing rather that address ANY of the comments regarding the crap you are spewing. . . If you didn't swap the rods, then why would you say you would?

I am glad you are done. You make my head hurt. . .
Old 10-05-10, 08:03 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtamulis
So yeah, I just realized all this time, I've been giving my recommendations based off of a 1995 and OLDER 2JZ-GEs. I have a 1st gen GS300, and a 95 Aristo 2JZ-GTE, both of which use the NON-VVTI motors.

If you have a VVTi 2JZ-GE Motor, you'll be happier in the long run to just go 2JZ-GTE.
The older bottom ends are identical other than the oil squirters. The VVTi is weaksauce!
Old 10-05-10, 08:04 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Just to take it one step further:
since you guys are all complaining about how easy the NA-T is, SlvrGS and myself will be documenting the full swap, done in 20 hours.
Old 10-05-10, 08:21 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

See if the swap can be done that quick on a 02-05 GS running GTE ECU. I'd be interested in doing that.
Old 10-05-10, 08:31 AM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Quickgs300. Good for you bro. If we were concerned about non vvti then we wouldn't be in the 2GS section discussing a vvti swap. You are out of your realm. Stop now please.

We are discussing NA-T VVTi GE vs. GTE VVTi swap. Thanks for coming out though.

My car is a 99. Had to move 2 wires and add one. EXTREMELY difficult wiring whew. . .

Rriiiggghhhtt. . . 9.5:1 high compression. . . Typical honda turbo setup. Done a few of those thanks.
Old 10-05-10, 08:32 AM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
See if the swap can be done that quick on a 02-05 GS running GTE ECU. I'd be interested in doing that.
Bring me your sportdesign. I'd love to give it a shot. . .
Old 10-05-10, 08:35 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I have 3 GS's actually lol ('02,'04,'05). Only one is still NA

I just got my hand on another GTE VVTi so I might actually attempt the swap on the 3rd one, but with a single turbo added on heh. Only real problem I foresee is that the newer GS use a different ECU with completely different pinouts. I think there's even some differences between how some of the multiplex operates.
Old 10-05-10, 08:40 AM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I have 3 GS's actually lol('02,'04,'05. Only one is still NA

I just got my hand on another GTE VVTi so I might actually attempt the swap on the 3rd one, but with a single turbo added on heh.

Sweet, so its a deal then. You won't miss 1 of the 3 . . . When can I expect you?
Old 10-05-10, 09:02 AM
Desarro
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bippu147
Umm yes they do. lol

So you'd rather pay more money and build a bottom end, vs buying an Aristo front cut and having everything you need including a factory sealed engine that can handle 800hp?

Really? Ive been told by many people and i mean MANY people that aftermarket pistons dont have the guides and such for the oil squirters.

Originally Posted by SlvrGS300
So, my question in all of this is why? why would you do that?

You have one situation on your hands where you can crack the factory seal on the motor, replace this, rebuild that and change out these things or. . . .

FOR THE SAME PRICE OR LESS (yes, Jeff said it himself, $6-8k for a swap vs. $7k for a turbo kit)

You could swap out the WEAK motor, WEAK transmission, WEAK ECU for a stronger motor, stronger transmission, stronger ECU that doesn't rely on piggyback controllers to compensate for something it wasn't designed for (boost).

AND

Have a better platform to move forward with instead of hitting a wall and being done.

At the end of the day it is all about reliability and performance. I did the swap, had a GReddy T-78 running 18psi, basically stock fuel, stock ecu stock transmission, stock MAF and I was able to BEAT on this car DAILY without any fear of it breaking. The car laughed at me and was looking for more. Had this been a similar setup NA-T, well we all know that the motor and trans would have met a tragic, explosive demise. But 7 psi is cool right?

you will always be limited in what you can do with NA-T. ie. run low boost, baby the car, have a special "technique" to let off the gas in between shifts so the trans doesn't grenade and rely on a piggyback ECU on an ECU that doesn't play well with others etc. . . .

At the risk of sounding redundant, I as well have done many engine swaps, bolt on turbo kits, etc etc etc. . . you name it, I have probably done it. When faced with these two options, for the same money I would always recommend the turbo engine swap over the turbo a non turbo engine any day of the week.

but that's just my OPINION. . . .
In my GS i was thinking about doing the same thing till i seen my friend make 1000+whp on a GE block (not stock, just pistons and rods). Im not aiming that high but i hear people say you can make 800-900 stock GTE block but for how long is the real question. Either motor is gonna get you where you want to go, just slightly different routes. IMO you have a capable motor already just use it. Yes the tranny and ECU should be changed or upgraded. What you should do depends on your power goals really.

BTW Look here for more info
http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=2765
Old 10-05-10, 09:28 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Desarro
Really? Ive been told by many people and i mean MANY people that aftermarket pistons dont have the guides and such for the oil squirters.
Aftermarket rods don't have the squirters, they run higher oil clearances instead.

The stock squirters on the block still spray oil into the pinboss, aftermarket or not.

Quick Reply: Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.