Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-10, 05:02 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

Also, if you boost a GS300 engine at stock compression(keeping boost at 7psi or under) it's actually much more efficient than the GTE with lower compression. Still can get 350miles+ per tank no problem. Once you drop compression on an engine is when you will suffer in gas mileage.
Oh yeah, with everything that I have done to my motor, with NO TUNING whatsoever, I get 300+ to a tank with my gas pedal buried where ever I go
Old 10-04-10, 05:12 PM
epic1si
Rookie

Originally Posted by SlvrGS300
Oh yeah, with everything that I have done to my motor, with NO TUNING whatsoever, I get 300+ to a tank with my gas pedal buried where ever I go
man tell me your secret unless you're talking km...cause i only get 250 miles to the tank if i'm lucky on a GTE swap
Old 10-04-10, 05:22 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get 24.6mpg on the highway with my GTE swapped GS300.

in town, I prolly get 15mpg, but when I'm not cruising along, I gotta enjoy the turbo 8-)
Old 10-04-10, 05:26 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Toyota built their engines to withstand more than they came with from the factory. Take the GTE for example, people are pushing over 800whp on stock bottom end which came stock with 320bhp. The stock GE VVTi(even with the weaker rods) with 220bhp stock pushing 400-450rwhp isn't that far of a stretch. I have one car that's swapped and one that's NA-T. I have another extra 2 GTE engines in the garage I could swap over, but I see no need to do the swap in my daily driver thats only putting down 420rwhp. I beat on it all day, I guess I'll see if it holds the test of time lol. I might be putting a foot in my mouth a few years from now if the GE lets go, but only time will tell

SlvrGS300, how are you running the car with no tuning whatsoever with a T78?
Old 10-04-10, 05:33 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

SlvrGS300, how are you running the car with no tuning whatsoever with a T78?
Stock ECU designed to compensate for boost, it's an amazing thing HKS AFK reports strong AFR with no knock. Bippu147 can attest to this as he has gone for a few rides in my car. He also bought my original HKS Vpro and hasn't sold me a new one yet (maybe it's because I'm too cheap or would rather buy new seats . . .) It's basically stock. Stock rail, stock injectors, stock MAF, -6an feed/return fuel lines, 265lph in tank fuel pump and regulator set to 37psi
Old 10-04-10, 05:38 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by puff
In reference to the OP question, I spent $7k in parts and labor on my NA-t project. My car is easily capable of making 500whp as it sits right now. I feel like my car is just as reliable now as the first day it came from the factory. I had the head and the block inspected before we put everything back together. 137k miles on the clock and I drove from NYC to Baltimore and back and got better gas milage than my friend who was driving his 07 Grand Caravan. I would love to see someone do a GTE swap AND make 500whp for $7k WITHOUT doing all the work themselves.
I have a 2jzgte vvti swap in my gs400 and I spent 5k installed running and its going on a yr now you see doing the gte swap isnt all that expensive as some claim. You have to buy the motor at a reasonable price and you can have a swap for 4-5k and thats with stock smic,driveshaft,ecu, everything that can come with the swap. Fmic arent expensive so thats not even a factor and fabbing intercooler piping isnt going to cost you that much. So in the end if you get the mototr for a good price you can get a factory reliable ride with worry about blowing up. I want to give a shout out to slvrGs300 in canada he helped me with info on the swap and is a good dude.
Old 10-04-10, 05:54 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by japspec
I have a 2jzgte vvti swap in my gs400 and I spent 5k installed running and its going on a yr now you see doing the gte swap isnt all that expensive as some claim. You have to buy the motor at a reasonable price and you can have a swap for 4-5k and thats with stock smic,driveshaft,ecu, everything that can come with the swap. Fmic arent expensive so thats not even a factor and fabbing intercooler piping isnt going to cost you that much. So in the end if you get the mototr for a good price you can get a factory reliable ride with worry about blowing up. I want to give a shout out to slvrGs300 in canada he helped me with info on the swap and is a good dude.
Thanks Bro! It really isn't that expensive. I would do this swap all day long for $6k out the door. It really is easy, and I believe far less involved than NA-T. Pull the NA, install the Turbo. no muss no fuss. you don't have to drop the oil pan to tap the return line, you don't have to wire in a ****ty, fault prone AEM (yes, I said ****ty. . . ) or any other piggyback and hope that it doesn't fight with the stock ECU. . . it's just better.

p.s. you still want my stock steering wheel?
Old 10-04-10, 05:55 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Stock ECU designed to compensate for boost, it's an amazing thing HKS AFK reports strong AFR with no knock. Bippu147 can attest to this as he has gone for a few rides in my car. He also bought my original HKS Vpro and hasn't sold me a new one yet (maybe it's because I'm too cheap or would rather buy new seats . . .) It's basically stock. Stock rail, stock injectors, stock MAF, -6an feed/return fuel lines, 265lph in tank fuel pump and regulator set to 37psi
Well I know it's designed to compensate for boost lol, but for the stock turbos or slightly upgraded. With a larger turbo you are increasing the VE and the tune is a bit off from stock. If you're running no problems with solid AFR then I'm not knocking it. From my experience, the Supras I've installed big single turbo on usually always needed a slight adjustment in the tune.

Also another thing with it being completely plug n play. It only applies to 98-01 GS300's. On 02+ Toyota changed the wiring harness, so it will take some serious rewiring to use the stock GTE ECU.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 10-04-10 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-04-10, 06:00 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Well I know it's designed to compensate for boost lol, but for the stock turbos. With a larger turbo you are increasing the VE and the tune is a bit far off from stock. If you're running no problems with solid AFR then I'm not knocking it. From my experience, the Supras I've installed big single turbo on usually always needed a slight adjustment in the tune.
Don't get me wrong, with a good tune my car would be a beast, but unlike the GE, with a stock turbo or a single turbo you can run the car without aftermarket management because that is what it is deisgned to do. To a degree of course, if I were running 30psi that would be a different story. But I'm running a single turbo at 18psi and the motor doesn't even flinch. Something you CANNOT do NA-T.

Last edited by SlvrGS300; 10-04-10 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-04-10, 06:31 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Bro! It really isn't that expensive. I would do this swap all day long for $6k out the door. It really is easy, and I believe far less involved than NA-T. Pull the NA, install the Turbo. no muss no fuss. you don't have to drop the oil pan to tap the return line, you don't have to wire in a ****ty, fault prone AEM (yes, I said ****ty. . . ) or any other piggyback and hope that it doesn't fight with the stock ECU. . . it's just better.

p.s. you still want my stock steering wheel?
Yeah still want steering wheel but my moneys funny lol.
Old 10-04-10, 06:33 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by japspec
Yeah still want steering wheel but my moneys funny lol.
heh! no worries man, it's still here. just checkin'
Old 10-04-10, 06:38 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Also another thing with it being completely plug n play. It only applies to 98-01 GS300's. On 02+ Toyota changed the wiring harness, so it will take some serious rewiring to use the stock GTE ECU.
That's why you find a year specific swap. Harder to find, Yes. Impossible to find, No
Old 10-04-10, 07:06 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

heh! no worries man, it's still here. just checkin'
I got you dont worry ill get cause i need one bad.
Old 10-04-10, 07:56 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it really depends on how much packaging from toyota you want. gte has little components and aesthetic-pleasing features that makes it seem more "boost friendly".

if you're going to replace those little components and aesthetically-pleasing features with better parts instead, then definitely go with na-t and not a swap.

each modding step (or stages) you take with the gte is much smaller compared to the ge monetary wise up to around 600-800whp, otherwise they both cost about the same at the 1000whp level.

i personally enjoy working on cars so i went with na-t route. if you're a build it, set it, leave it guy, go with gte swap.

Last edited by ElitistK; 10-04-10 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-04-10, 08:07 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

That's why you find a year specific swap. Harder to find, Yes. Impossible to find, No
I don't think Toyota ever changed the wiring harness on the V300. I've checked all of the wiring diagrams and to the extent of what I've seen only the S300 has the updated wiring harness. The V300 kept the same type wiring harness throughout all the years it was in production. I would of done that instead of using a standalone or piggyback if I could of done it without rebuilding the entire wiring harness. The upside of me having the stock Lexus ECU in place is that I can pass OBDII emissions testing lol.

Quick Reply: Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.