Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation > Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-10, 05:02 PM   #31
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (7)
 
SlvrGS300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTsai View Post

Also, if you boost a GS300 engine at stock compression(keeping boost at 7psi or under) it's actually much more efficient than the GTE with lower compression. Still can get 350miles+ per tank no problem. Once you drop compression on an engine is when you will suffer in gas mileage.
Oh yeah, with everything that I have done to my motor, with NO TUNING whatsoever, I get 300+ to a tank with my gas pedal buried where ever I go
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
SlvrGS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 05:12 PM   #32
epic1si
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: tx
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrGS300 View Post
Oh yeah, with everything that I have done to my motor, with NO TUNING whatsoever, I get 300+ to a tank with my gas pedal buried where ever I go
man tell me your secret unless you're talking km...cause i only get 250 miles to the tank if i'm lucky on a GTE swap
epic1si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 05:22 PM   #33
jtamulis
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 344
Default

I get 24.6mpg on the highway with my GTE swapped GS300.

in town, I prolly get 15mpg, but when I'm not cruising along, I gotta enjoy the turbo 8-)
jtamulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 05:26 PM   #34
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)
 
JeffTsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW area TX
Posts: 5,383
Send a message via AIM to JeffTsai
Default

Toyota built their engines to withstand more than they came with from the factory. Take the GTE for example, people are pushing over 800whp on stock bottom end which came stock with 320bhp. The stock GE VVTi(even with the weaker rods) with 220bhp stock pushing 400-450rwhp isn't that far of a stretch. I have one car that's swapped and one that's NA-T. I have another extra 2 GTE engines in the garage I could swap over, but I see no need to do the swap in my daily driver thats only putting down 420rwhp. I beat on it all day, I guess I'll see if it holds the test of time lol. I might be putting a foot in my mouth a few years from now if the GE lets go, but only time will tell

SlvrGS300, how are you running the car with no tuning whatsoever with a T78?
__________________
2008 GS450h Hybrid Power! The new Daily Driver
2005 GS300 GTE VVTi Custom 76mm Billet Wheel Triple BB HKS T51R The 4 Door Race Car...in the making
2002 GS300 Sport Design Graphite Grey Pearl 914rwhp/785ftlb@34psi NA-T Built A650E Kinda Daily Driver E85 Powered 11:1 CR


Please email me instead of PM. I don't always empty the PM, and I don't check it as often.
Email me here and it goes direct to my phone powerdynamix@gmail.com
JeffTsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 05:33 PM   #35
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (7)
 
SlvrGS300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTsai View Post
SlvrGS300, how are you running the car with no tuning whatsoever with a T78?
Stock ECU designed to compensate for boost, it's an amazing thing HKS AFK reports strong AFR with no knock. Bippu147 can attest to this as he has gone for a few rides in my car. He also bought my original HKS Vpro and hasn't sold me a new one yet (maybe it's because I'm too cheap or would rather buy new seats . . .) It's basically stock. Stock rail, stock injectors, stock MAF, -6an feed/return fuel lines, 265lph in tank fuel pump and regulator set to 37psi
SlvrGS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 05:38 PM   #36
japspec
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (4)
 
japspec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Da hill fl
Posts: 1,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
In reference to the OP question, I spent $7k in parts and labor on my NA-t project. My car is easily capable of making 500whp as it sits right now. I feel like my car is just as reliable now as the first day it came from the factory. I had the head and the block inspected before we put everything back together. 137k miles on the clock and I drove from NYC to Baltimore and back and got better gas milage than my friend who was driving his 07 Grand Caravan. I would love to see someone do a GTE swap AND make 500whp for $7k WITHOUT doing all the work themselves.
I have a 2jzgte vvti swap in my gs400 and I spent 5k installed running and its going on a yr now you see doing the gte swap isnt all that expensive as some claim. You have to buy the motor at a reasonable price and you can have a swap for 4-5k and thats with stock smic,driveshaft,ecu, everything that can come with the swap. Fmic arent expensive so thats not even a factor and fabbing intercooler piping isnt going to cost you that much. So in the end if you get the mototr for a good price you can get a factory reliable ride with worry about blowing up. I want to give a shout out to slvrGs300 in canada he helped me with info on the swap and is a good dude.
__________________
It's hard to be sucker free in a world filled with lollipops.
japspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 05:54 PM   #37
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (7)
 
SlvrGS300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by japspec View Post
I have a 2jzgte vvti swap in my gs400 and I spent 5k installed running and its going on a yr now you see doing the gte swap isnt all that expensive as some claim. You have to buy the motor at a reasonable price and you can have a swap for 4-5k and thats with stock smic,driveshaft,ecu, everything that can come with the swap. Fmic arent expensive so thats not even a factor and fabbing intercooler piping isnt going to cost you that much. So in the end if you get the mototr for a good price you can get a factory reliable ride with worry about blowing up. I want to give a shout out to slvrGs300 in canada he helped me with info on the swap and is a good dude.
Thanks Bro! It really isn't that expensive. I would do this swap all day long for $6k out the door. It really is easy, and I believe far less involved than NA-T. Pull the NA, install the Turbo. no muss no fuss. you don't have to drop the oil pan to tap the return line, you don't have to wire in a ****ty, fault prone AEM (yes, I said ****ty. . . ) or any other piggyback and hope that it doesn't fight with the stock ECU. . . it's just better.

p.s. you still want my stock steering wheel?
SlvrGS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 05:55 PM   #38
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)
 
JeffTsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW area TX
Posts: 5,383
Send a message via AIM to JeffTsai
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrGS300 View Post
Stock ECU designed to compensate for boost, it's an amazing thing HKS AFK reports strong AFR with no knock. Bippu147 can attest to this as he has gone for a few rides in my car. He also bought my original HKS Vpro and hasn't sold me a new one yet (maybe it's because I'm too cheap or would rather buy new seats . . .) It's basically stock. Stock rail, stock injectors, stock MAF, -6an feed/return fuel lines, 265lph in tank fuel pump and regulator set to 37psi
Well I know it's designed to compensate for boost lol, but for the stock turbos or slightly upgraded. With a larger turbo you are increasing the VE and the tune is a bit off from stock. If you're running no problems with solid AFR then I'm not knocking it. From my experience, the Supras I've installed big single turbo on usually always needed a slight adjustment in the tune.

Also another thing with it being completely plug n play. It only applies to 98-01 GS300's. On 02+ Toyota changed the wiring harness, so it will take some serious rewiring to use the stock GTE ECU.
__________________
2008 GS450h Hybrid Power! The new Daily Driver
2005 GS300 GTE VVTi Custom 76mm Billet Wheel Triple BB HKS T51R The 4 Door Race Car...in the making
2002 GS300 Sport Design Graphite Grey Pearl 914rwhp/785ftlb@34psi NA-T Built A650E Kinda Daily Driver E85 Powered 11:1 CR


Please email me instead of PM. I don't always empty the PM, and I don't check it as often.
Email me here and it goes direct to my phone powerdynamix@gmail.com

Last edited by JeffTsai; 10-04-10 at 05:58 PM..
JeffTsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 06:00 PM   #39
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (7)
 
SlvrGS300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTsai View Post
Well I know it's designed to compensate for boost lol, but for the stock turbos. With a larger turbo you are increasing the VE and the tune is a bit far off from stock. If you're running no problems with solid AFR then I'm not knocking it. From my experience, the Supras I've installed big single turbo on usually always needed a slight adjustment in the tune.
Don't get me wrong, with a good tune my car would be a beast, but unlike the GE, with a stock turbo or a single turbo you can run the car without aftermarket management because that is what it is deisgned to do. To a degree of course, if I were running 30psi that would be a different story. But I'm running a single turbo at 18psi and the motor doesn't even flinch. Something you CANNOT do NA-T.

Last edited by SlvrGS300; 10-04-10 at 06:09 PM..
SlvrGS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 06:31 PM   #40
japspec
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (4)
 
japspec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Da hill fl
Posts: 1,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrGS300 View Post
Thanks Bro! It really isn't that expensive. I would do this swap all day long for $6k out the door. It really is easy, and I believe far less involved than NA-T. Pull the NA, install the Turbo. no muss no fuss. you don't have to drop the oil pan to tap the return line, you don't have to wire in a ****ty, fault prone AEM (yes, I said ****ty. . . ) or any other piggyback and hope that it doesn't fight with the stock ECU. . . it's just better.

p.s. you still want my stock steering wheel?
Yeah still want steering wheel but my moneys funny lol.
__________________
It's hard to be sucker free in a world filled with lollipops.
japspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 06:33 PM   #41
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (7)
 
SlvrGS300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by japspec View Post
Yeah still want steering wheel but my moneys funny lol.
heh! no worries man, it's still here. just checkin'
SlvrGS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 06:38 PM   #42
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (7)
 
SlvrGS300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTsai View Post
Also another thing with it being completely plug n play. It only applies to 98-01 GS300's. On 02+ Toyota changed the wiring harness, so it will take some serious rewiring to use the stock GTE ECU.
That's why you find a year specific swap. Harder to find, Yes. Impossible to find, No
SlvrGS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 07:06 PM   #43
japspec
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (4)
 
japspec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Da hill fl
Posts: 1,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrGS300 View Post
heh! no worries man, it's still here. just checkin'
I got you dont worry ill get cause i need one bad.
__________________
It's hard to be sucker free in a world filled with lollipops.
japspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 07:56 PM   #44
ElitistK
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (4)
 
ElitistK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 2,634
Default

it really depends on how much packaging from toyota you want. gte has little components and aesthetic-pleasing features that makes it seem more "boost friendly".

if you're going to replace those little components and aesthetically-pleasing features with better parts instead, then definitely go with na-t and not a swap.

each modding step (or stages) you take with the gte is much smaller compared to the ge monetary wise up to around 600-800whp, otherwise they both cost about the same at the 1000whp level.

i personally enjoy working on cars so i went with na-t route. if you're a build it, set it, leave it guy, go with gte swap.
__________________
Fitting a body kit and stretched tires on cars is like fitting a dress and high heels on women.

Last edited by ElitistK; 10-04-10 at 08:04 PM..
ElitistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 08:07 PM   #45
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)
 
JeffTsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW area TX
Posts: 5,383
Send a message via AIM to JeffTsai
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrGS300 View Post
That's why you find a year specific swap. Harder to find, Yes. Impossible to find, No
I don't think Toyota ever changed the wiring harness on the V300. I've checked all of the wiring diagrams and to the extent of what I've seen only the S300 has the updated wiring harness. The V300 kept the same type wiring harness throughout all the years it was in production. I would of done that instead of using a standalone or piggyback if I could of done it without rebuilding the entire wiring harness. The upside of me having the stock Lexus ECU in place is that I can pass OBDII emissions testing lol.
__________________
2008 GS450h Hybrid Power! The new Daily Driver
2005 GS300 GTE VVTi Custom 76mm Billet Wheel Triple BB HKS T51R The 4 Door Race Car...in the making
2002 GS300 Sport Design Graphite Grey Pearl 914rwhp/785ftlb@34psi NA-T Built A650E Kinda Daily Driver E85 Powered 11:1 CR


Please email me instead of PM. I don't always empty the PM, and I don't check it as often.
Email me here and it goes direct to my phone powerdynamix@gmail.com
JeffTsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 08:07 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2jz, 2jzge, 2jzgte, clips, clublexus, engine, gs, hold, is300, lexus, obd2, pass, power, rebuild, swap, turbo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's a matter of maintenance, 2JZ-GTE swaps ZippyGuy Build Threads 3 08-11-14 02:11 AM
1jz-gte vs 2jz-gte RealSC400 SC 400/300 64 02-17-12 03:13 AM
1JZ-GTE with R154 to 2JZ-GTE and V160, who has done it? FuMoFFuTT Performance & Maintenance 6 09-29-10 01:14 PM
1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE? .. FuMoFFuTT Performance & Maintenance 14 10-14-09 06:56 PM
2jz-gte vvt-i swap~ question... bangski Performance & Maintenance 15 09-04-06 06:42 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info