Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation > Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Old 10-14-12, 07:26 PM   #211
Ursus
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

I just picked up a 2000 gs300 platinum edition. Eventually i will be boosting 400whp is more than enough for a daily for me especially when fuel economy is concerned. Now the car has over 200k on the motor/trans. I'm assuming ill have to rebuild the two eventually. Which route is best to go and i must be able to pass NY state emissions. I'm assuming the cost to rebuild and boost the stock block will approximately equal the cost of a full clip gte swap. My question is how will i make a gte emissions compliant??
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 10:47 PM   #212
konaboi808
Pole Position

Some good old heated conversations in here, good info though
konaboi808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-13, 05:48 PM   #213
SELFMade
Pole Position

^ Word, people stop talking so much once a daily driven 800rwhp NA-T was presented. Epic

MADE Onyx / 2JZGTE Full BPU / 3pc O.Z.s
CERTIFIED UTI TECH... Perrin STI SHORT SHIFTER FOR SALE.
US ARMY 4TH SQUADRON 9TH CAVALRY 19DELTA SCOUT
LAUGHING AT THE LATEST "JDM" FAD

"Everyones entitled to there own opinion, but im entitled not to give two s**ts. We develope cars to be driven hard, not to be hard parked."
E-Vader
SELFMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 02:20 AM   #214
Duymaista
Driver School Candidate

I also have a 00 platinum series with a jdm 2jzgte vvti with a 70mm turbo with stock ecu. And love the way GTE feels. i know down here in colorado it is not emissions compliant. But then again I'm in a different city then u are. I know NY has strict laws on emissions like california.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
I just picked up a 2000 gs300 platinum edition. Eventually i will be boosting 400whp is more than enough for a daily for me especially when fuel economy is concerned. Now the car has over 200k on the motor/trans. I'm assuming ill have to rebuild the two eventually. Which route is best to go and i must be able to pass NY state emissions. I'm assuming the cost to rebuild and boost the stock block will approximately equal the cost of a full clip gte swap. My question is how will i make a gte emissions compliant??
Duymaista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 04:40 PM   #215
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (9)

poor_form Fistn LolzDeep
Send a message via AIM to Bippu147

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELFMade View Post
^ Word, people stop talking so much once a daily driven 800rwhp NA-T was presented. Epic
No one stopped talking. And no one presented a daily driven 800rwhp NA-T.

If you really want to play that game we can pull up daily driven GTE's over 800whp (real power, not some magical dyno sheet with a weird torque reading) on Supraforums. I'm pretty sure daily driven GTE's with big power outnumber and outlast the NA-T's.

HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner / AEM Factory Trained EMS & Infinity Tuner / Haltech Certified

Proud to be a "hater" that defends Authenticity
Bippu147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 10:43 PM   #216
LALEX1
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (17)

Quick question, will the steering wheel shifters on a 2001 gs300 still work with a gte engine/tranny swap?
LALEX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 10:48 PM   #217
VIP161
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)

To answer the OP's question, YES it is worth it.
Old 04-17-14, 10:55 PM   #218
vbieds
Driver

mr_broderick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP161 View Post
To answer the OP's question, YES it is worth it.
x435345435

----------------------------------
If ignorance is bliss and patience is a virtue, you'll have a good life if your dumb enough to wait.
vbieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 03:33 PM   #219
mulasien
Rookie

I'm going to do a little friendly necro-bump on this thread.

I'm not claiming to be an expert in anything presented in this thread, so feel free to tell me I'm full of it *if you can point out why*.

I have a fun pipe-dream of throwing a turbo kit on my DD 05 2GS. Nothing crazy though, 400rwhp would be on the high end.

This thread is the first I've ever read anywhere claiming that the VVTi GE has weaker connecting rods than other 2JZ's, and said claim being made by one person (although I realize said person is a lot more experienced in working on these engines than I do). Still, that's the first I've heard of it.

Have VVTi GE's shown themselves to actually be weaker and less reliable in practice, or just in theory? Do we have any actual examples of VVTi GE's popping their connecting rods or showing themselves to be less sturdy outside of theoreticals? Apparently one guy is making 800rwhp on the 'weaker' engine, which is twice as much HP as what I would be wanting, so it must not be that bad. Someone stated that they could pry off pieces of the internals with a screwdriver, but as long as I'm not throwing screwdrivers through my intake I don't see how that's relevant?

Here's the point I'm getting at: I'm not looking to make a 900rwhp monster. I'd be happy with a 350-400rwhp setup that's still daily driver friendly but a blast to drive. Going through the process of swapping in GTE engine, and then having to completely rewire all of the pins (yeah...screw that) seems like overkill for my goals. Is there any actual observed instances of VVTi GE's not holding up reliably with a mild turbo kit compared to a GTE, or it only in theory?

Apologies if I'm re-poking the hornet's nest here...

edit: someone was nice enough to post this link that showed the weaker connecting rods:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/perf...-question.html

I'm curious why Toyota went with thinner connecting rods with the VVTi? Best guess was for less rotating mass to eek out a bit more gas mileage efficiency (shrug)?

I'm curious what the actual net effect is on reliability, though, since everything else is the same. If people have gotten 800rwhp out of the 'weaker' connecting rods, then they must not be total junk. Surely a more DD friendly 400rwhp build wouldn't be a problem by that measure, wouldn't you think?

Last edited by mulasien; 07-29-14 at 07:46 AM..
mulasien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 10:00 PM   #220
joewitafro
Lead Lap

Send a message via AIM to joewitafro

Toyota only went with thinner, lighter rods in the 2jzge vvti, not the 2jzgte vvti motor that came in japan. I think this was for like you said, a little less rotating mass and the motor didn't really "need" to be overbuilt like previously. They also wanted it to rev faster and have more response as a vvt-i car.

I doubt anyone has gotten 800rwhp out of the weaker vvti GE rods. Atleast reliably.

Even the GTE rods you are pushing it. For example let me explain. The reason these rods bend is because of torque, and people experience bending and throwing rods around 700ft lbs of torque. Most people in supras went with larger, laggier turbos because although they make more "peak" horsepower, the torque curve wasn't as brutal as say a 62 or 64mm turbo running higher boost, you are going to spool much quicker and have a much sharper torque curve which can bend rods. Whether you could reliably run 400rwhp out of the vvti GE rods i would say depends on the abruptness of your torque curve and how you drove the car. Maybe you could baby 400hp out of them? I don't know.. Someone who tested the limits would have to chime in.
joewitafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 04:16 PM   #221
mulasien
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewitafro View Post
Toyota only went with thinner, lighter rods in the 2jzge vvti, not the 2jzgte vvti motor that came in japan. I think this was for like you said, a little less rotating mass and the motor didn't really "need" to be overbuilt like previously. They also wanted it to rev faster and have more response as a vvt-i car.

I doubt anyone has gotten 800rwhp out of the weaker vvti GE rods. Atleast reliably.

Even the GTE rods you are pushing it. For example let me explain. The reason these rods bend is because of torque, and people experience bending and throwing rods around 700ft lbs of torque. Most people in supras went with larger, laggier turbos because although they make more "peak" horsepower, the torque curve wasn't as brutal as say a 62 or 64mm turbo running higher boost, you are going to spool much quicker and have a much sharper torque curve which can bend rods. Whether you could reliably run 400rwhp out of the vvti GE rods i would say depends on the abruptness of your torque curve and how you drove the car. Maybe you could baby 400hp out of them? I don't know.. Someone who tested the limits would have to chime in.
Valid points.

IMHO, coming from a muscle car community before I came here, not wanting broad power across the RPM range in exchange for a brief blip of peak horsepower is a terrible way to do it, anyway. Most overall power in the usable RPM range is what wins races. If this ever went beyond a pipe dream for me, I would want a quick spooling turbo that gave me good power across the entire RPM band, not the 'supra dyno graph' meme pics out there that show 50 RPM's worth of good power with the rest in the basement, so I would definitely have to keep that in mind.

Do we actually know of anyone on this board who has installed a turbo kit on a VVTi GE who we can get first hand experiences from? The same year of IS300's uses the same engine, maybe there's someone in there as well.

Regardless, it's still a theoretical pipe dream for me at the moment anyway.
mulasien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 05:45 AM   #222
SZA
Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Yes the swap is worth it. I love my 99 Cinnabar VVT-i GTE. A GE will never truly be like a GTE. But the NA-T can be just as reliable/powerful if built correctly.

Both have their high/low points but both are still great and can hold their own respectively.
SZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 05:45 AM